Vinyl Me Please Country

Got my copy of Infamous Angel in today, first VMP record in a longgggg time, but for one of my favorite albums I’ll give them another chance. Man, they really struggle to get anything done right. The record is pressed at GZ of course, and on colored vinyl at that. Even after an RCM clean, its got some passages of loud pops caused by non-fill.

The mastering is def in the warm side, perhaps a bit veiled but that’s probably wise with how many sibilants she throws our. Annoyingly the record seems to be a DMM GZ cut. I’m assuming the mastering credit to “Mike Westbrook” refers to a new digital source given to GZ to cut.

Anyways the music is amazing, one of my all time favorite records. Hopefully I can get a better copy from VMP.

Considering swapping this month for either Merle or Buck Owens live. Do either of these stand out more than the other? Merle's been hanging around the store for awhile now.

Considering swapping this month for either Merle or Buck Owens live. Do either of these stand out more than the other? Merle's been hanging around the store for awhile now.
That Merle record is wonderful and sounds really good. I didn’t get Buck Owens so I can’t speak to that one, but I highly recommend Lonesome Fugitive

I feel like Merle has the opportunity to be spun more. Buck Owens is great, but I don’t feel it’s a live album that gets better with each spin.
That’s pretty much why I haven’t rushed to get Buck Owens. I like it. But I can’t see it getting regular spins. Whereas I spin Merle at least once a month.

Spun Iris last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a great record.

If I have a complaint though, it’s that I started getting some ear fatigue towards the end. I think her vocals are cut a little hot and I didn’t have that issue when streaming it. But overall I’m quite pleased with this pressing.

I should mention that I didn’t hear any surface noise at all until the last 5-10 seconds of side B. I can live with that.

Went in blind with this Iris DeMent album.

How the hell did I miss this for thirty years??? I can't stop spinning it!
Yeah, I haven't picked it up yet, but it's definitely one that intrigues me, particularly with her uh... Arkansas voice. Hoping it'll stick around for a while and might grab it on a lackluster swap month or if it goes on sale.

Got mine a few days ago and played it today. It sounds great.and I really hope some more of her records are reissued.

I’m going to swap for a couple copies for my mom and a friend.
I thought/hoped they would have exclusives of My Life, The Way I Should and/or maybe Prines In Spite of Our Selves. But maybe they'll show up further up the road...

Sadly my second Iris is even worse popping during the songs on both sides now… beginning to recall why I cancelled. Does anyone know if they still let you get a third copy? Otherwise I’ll just stick with the one that pops on the fade-out at A2.

I streamed Back to the Country today and did not care for it, and I like most Loretta stuff I've heard. Shrug.

Totally agree, mid 70s-80s Loretta is dollar bin fodder, usually a filler with one single that recalls her glory days. In this case “the pill” was cut in ‘72 and held back so it’s quite literally a bunch of filler surrounding it, not worth ~$40 imo.

Back