Vinyl Me Please Country

I like alot of Modern Pop Country and even “Bro Country“ as a guilty pleasure for driving or mindless background music. The worst part about it is that it gives a bad name to Modern Country in general as the general public believes thats all that Is being put out now.

I also have no issue with this track including some picks from this area. That said, I can’t stand Sam Hunt. The worst of modern country IMO, way more than ”Bro“ acts like FGL and Luke Bryan, are these RnB-lite acts like him, Dan & Shay, Kane Brown, etc. Seems like Pop stars who knew they couldnt make it in that genre so they jumped in Country instead. Just awful.

But one bad pick (IMO) doesnt invalidate how great this track has been, or give vindication to the folks claiming it was going to be “all bro country”. If we get one or even two picks a year of this type, thats not bad at all and still will have an overall better hit ratio than the other tracks (with maybe the exception of “Classics”)
I don't think anyone said the track has been or will be invalidated. It's just that it's not even a little moderately bad. It's a horrid pic.

One a year at most. There is too much great classic country to allow more than one of these picks a year.

From my perspective, that's still too much, even if unsurprising & probably should be expected. The track is pretty brand new and there's almost a century of legit country/folk/bluegrass/americana from which he could choose. Though it was an "easy" selection in terms of popularity, one of the first was Sturgill Simpson, so we know he can find modern albums that fit the genre. Hell, he could just lurk on N&G's Country discussion ;)

Selecting shitty r&b with twang should only be met with derision (and also why most of 90s "country" should be ignored).

Maybe 6 years ago my dad and I worked together and once a week id have drive to the country to drop off a shipment , the boss let him tag along and a couple hours out of the city we would get to a point where the only channels that would come in were the country ones. This was at the peak of what they call bro country , at first we would just drive around making fun of it but after a while we ended up knowing all the words and kind of liking a lot of it.

Then I had a few neighbors that were truck drivers and did the same thing so we’d sit out in the summer in the hood blasting country music and singing along So I have a soft spot for bro country just because it reminds me of a simpler time driving around the country with the spectacular views or sitting on the stoop annoying the neighbors with our caterwauling.

Sam Hunt was one of my least favorite At the time but I’d probably grab Dierks, Luke, FGL, Lee Brice, Aldean, or Brad Paisly just for the memories.

One a year at most. There is too much great classic country to allow more than one of these picks a year.

From my perspective, that's still too much, even if unsurprising & probably should be expected. The track is pretty brand new and there's almost a century of legit country/folk/bluegrass/americana from which he could choose. Though it was an "easy" selection in terms of popularity, one of the first was Sturgill Simpson, so we know he can find modern albums that fit the genre. Hell, he could just lurk on N&G's Country discussion ;)

Selecting shitty r&b with twang should only be met with derision (and also why most of 90s "country" should be ignored).

Honestly, I agree and disagree. For one thing, he's definitely not picking this because he doesnt know other great modern country. We know Storf is a big Sam Hunt fan. I personally think Sam Hunt is absolute trash, but tastes are different and I know alot of folks do like him. I personally like other modern acts that people may think are trash, but this sub isnt curated just for me, you, or any other individual. I'm down for a mix of eras.

Sam Hunt was one of my least favorite At the time but I’d probably grab Dierks, Luke, FGL, Lee Brice, Aldean, or Brad Paisly just for the memories.

Same. And this is why I'm ok with including this era. I don't like Sam Hunt but I like alot of other artists from this era.

Damn....it's really a 0/4 month for me. Great time for me to re-sign up

facepalm-really.gif

No disrespect to anyone who enjoys this brand of country, but it does nothing for me. Hard pass.

It's gotta appeal to SOMEBODY, right? It's popular enough where I kind of get that VMP has to occasionally touch on it. I've never been a track completionist so I have no problem with chalking it up to being not my thing and waiting for another month.

It's gotta appeal to SOMEBODY, right? It's popular enough where I kind of get that VMP has to occasionally touch on it. I've never been a track completionist so I have no problem with chalking it up to being not my thing and waiting for another month.
It definitely appeals to some folks out there. My wife even likes some of it. But she’s more of an outlaw country girl, thankfully.

It appeals to a ton of people. just no one on the board. Go to a Broadway in Nashville if you are wondering whether this crap sells.

Btw this isn't an attack on pop country, there are seemingly plenty of good pop country artists that could work.. I'm not a fan but I get it

That's my view. I do not like Sam Hunt at all, but he's popular, there's no doubt. I like that this sub will include the occasional Pop Country album so I can't expect it to ONLY include the Pop Country that I deem worthy. There's a bigger market out there than the N&G message board.

I just expect this to be in the swaps for a while

Like the other times storf felt like he was definitely going to get an easy sell out and failed (aka those future albums and asap ferg)

I just expect this to be in the swaps for a while

Like the other times storf felt like he was definitely going to get an easy sell out and failed (aka those future albums and asap ferg)

No argument there. This may bring in some new folks, but I'd be shocked if it's even a moderate hit from the existing customer base.

Maybe 6 years ago my dad and I worked together and once a week id have drive to the country to drop off a shipment , the boss let him tag along and a couple hours out of the city we would get to a point where the only channels that would come in were the country ones. This was at the peak of what they call bro country , at first we would just drive around making fun of it but after a while we ended up knowing all the words and kind of liking a lot of it.

Then I had a few neighbors that were truck drivers and did the same thing so we’d sit out in the summer in the hood blasting country music and singing along So I have a soft spot for bro country just because it reminds me of a simpler time driving around the country with the spectacular views or sitting on the stoop annoying the neighbors with our caterwauling.

None of these are my jam, but I was thinking at least some of the more eccentric acts are at least self aware and all in on a thing. And Paisley, while not my jam, can flat out play, so there's that. This one is just blah.
That's my view. I do not like Sam Hunt at all, but he's popular, there's no doubt. I like that this sub will include the occasional Pop Country album so I can't expect it to ONLY include the Pop Country that I deem worthy. There's a bigger market out there than the N&G message board.
I'll be curious to see how well it does. If it's sold out then at least you can point to popularity. But, at 30-40$ an album popularity should not be the lone determination... at least some of the other options even if they would not interest me would fit popularity AND not be total crap musically.

None of these are my jam, but I was thinking at least some of the more eccentric acts are at least self aware and all in on a thing. And Paisley, while not my jam, can flat out play, so there's that. This one is just blah.

I'll be curious to see how well it does. If it's sold out then at least you can point to popularity. But, at 30-40$ an album popularity should not be the lone determination... at least some of the other options even if they would not interest me would fit popularity AND not be total crap musically.
also aren't pop country fans on the stingy side... black copies are readily available for 20 bucks (not on amazon but target and Walmart and UMG nashvilles official site.. and country music selling at those 2 big box stores is pretty common so not surprised)

Back