Vinyl Me Please Country

Just received my Emmylou Harris today.

My initial impression is that the jacket is way too dark. Am I wrong on that?

And playing it...What beautiful music. She truly has the voice of an angel. Nicely remastered (even if it's not AAA).

But...the last track on the A side (Before Believe) has several pops. Maybe these go away with a proper cleaning?

Except...the B side has the Trademark GZ crackle all over the right channel.

FFS. I really like most of the curation for the Country track - I don't even mind Sam Hunt - but I can't do it if they keep pressing these albums at GZ. What a disservice to such great music. I'd stick around for Grievous Angel, but I might as well just get the Rhino remaster that was pressed at Record Industry.
The jacket is way too dark. It goes without saying at this point, but their photoshop skills are sorely lacking.

My side A sounded great, then I flipped to discover a nice bowl warp on side B, with none of the edge touching the platter. I've got a replacement on the way soon, but not terribly hopeful.

I think I'm on team #classicsonly going forward, and even that will be part-time. Hoping to swap my country ROTM for The Hawk Flies High tomorrow.

Got the Emmylou Harris. Nice tip-on glossy jacket. The colors are printed too dark though. Can barely see her face on the back especially. The original is clearly better sounding too, really wish they would've gotten AAA mastering on this one. The digital mastering is just so-so. More bass like most modern remasters, but nothing else is as good as the OG (which cost me about $8 at the local shop not that long ago).
Very cool gold crumpled vinyl though.

View attachment 111732

View attachment 111733

Yeah, much darker than the original

So I have to ask re: GZ...at what point does VMP have to take some blame on this? I get GZ is pressing (edit) it, but I have something like 50 or so non VMP records pressed at GZ. Only one of them has repeated, documented issues in terms of pressing issues (Lorde's Blue Melodrama). The quality of them do vary but a lot of them both sound really good and are very high pressing run records (things like Taylor Swift's Evermore or Harry Styles' Fine Line). Obviously VMP isn't mastering or pressing any of this, but between their known shipping/mailer issues and lack of QA I am really wondering if they are asking GZ to work on more compressed timelines or with more lax standards than other companies are.

It just feels weird that GZ so frequently would botch VMP's records when their other work doesn't usually play out in that manner. Or maybe I've just been lucky with their other stuff.

Last edited:
The jacket is way too dark. It goes without saying at this point, but their photoshop skills are sorely lacking.

My side A sounded great, then I flipped to discover a nice bowl warp on side B, with none of the edge touching the platter. I've got a replacement on the way soon, but not terribly hopeful.

I think I'm on team #classicsonly going forward, and even that will be part-time. Hoping to swap my country ROTM for The Hawk Flies High tomorrow.
Same warp situation here. Replacement should be here tomorrow.

So I have to ask re: GZ...at what point does VMP have to take some blame on this? I get GZ is mastering it, but I have something like 50 or so non VMP records pressed at GZ. Only one of them has repeated, documented issues in terms of pressing issues (Lorde's Blue Melodrama). The quality of them do vary but a lot of them both sound really good and are very high pressing run records (things like Taylor Swift's Evermore or Harry Styles' Fine Line). Obviously VMP isn't mastering or pressing any of this, but between their known shipping/mailer issues and lack of QA I am really wondering if they are asking GZ to work on more compressed timelines or with more lax standards than other companies are.

It just feels weird that GZ so frequently would botch VMP's records when their other work doesn't usually play out in that manner. Or maybe I've just been lucky with their other stuff.

I think you are correct that some of the blame lays at the feet of VMPs lack of QC. Also, how many records are they asking GZ to press a month? 20000 for Essentials, 5000 for R&HH, 3000 for Country? That's a lot of records to be pumping out. Anyways, I'm sure it's a myriad of issues, but what GZ has produced for VMP has really fallen off in the last year. I've been a member since April 2016 (Fugees) and have rarely had any pressing problems, beyond the occasional mild warp, and distortion on Sorcerer. However in the past year, it's been non-stop. 4 of the 5 Country RotMs I've gotten (Cash, Sturgill, Dolly, now Emmylou) I've had to ask for replacements, not to mention the wide-spread problems on Erykah Badu, Mars Volta, Wu Tang, many of the R&HH titles, and I'm sure there are more.

Despite the strong curation so far in the Country track, I think I'll be #TeamClassics or #TeamUnsubbed unless they change where they press these.

Much of 'Montevallo' was deceptive in its simplicity, hiding era-defining songwriting talent and a whole new mode of country crossover behind a seemingly easy-to-replicate formula of marrying traditional country instruments with programmed beats and slick, dynamic melodies. Its velvet revolution won Hunt years of radio dominance and anticipated a tidal wave of what’s been termed “boyfriend country” — legions of imitators who took the singer’s gently flirtatious tack and R&B influences to their cloying extremes. Plenty in Nashville didn’t see 'Montevallo' as a changing of the guard, and even after he’d become a country megastar wrote him off as either a novelty, insufficiently capital-C Country, or both. When confronted with resistance about his own mode of widening country music’s lens Hunt has tended to return to the root of the issue, which runs much deeper than a simple disdain for pop music in country or concern about preserving some of its imagined “authentic” past.

this wasn't written by storf but feels storfy

“Sam’s music struck me, from the moment I heard Montevallo in 2014, to be as daring, genre-pushing and forward-looking as any great country album from the last 60 years you can name. Country should always sound like the people who listen to it, and to pretend like country fans only listen to fiddle and mandolin anymore is disingenuous. And there isn’t any musician in the genre who blends modern touches of R&B and pop radio into country better than Sam. Plus, his songwriting is unreal, and ultimately underrated: the moment I became a Sam Hunt fan for life was when he sang about the marks his ex’s car used to make in his lawn during ‘Break Up In A Small Town.’ It’s an honor to get to present this album in this deluxe form.”
THIS was storf though... no one is saying that it is required to have a mandolin or whatever... Kacey has shown that you can be country without having to be super traditional (yet sam got a LOT more Nashville play), and even won the grammy for it.

maybe if country should sound like the people who listen to it.. it kinda sucks when the people who listen to it are frat bros who wanna listen to R&B but are too scared to take black artists seriously

Grievous Angel AAA confirmed!
I was so happy about that too! The colour looks incredible!!! I’m in for the December Country ROTM too - it’s a nice live recording and I love that it’s also AAA, remastered by Kevin Gray and pressed at Third Man Records! 😍

THIS was storf though... no one is saying that it is required to have a mandolin or whatever... Kacey has shown that you can be country without having to be super traditional (yet sam got a LOT more Nashville play), and even won the grammy for it.

maybe if country should sound like the people who listen to it.. it kinda sucks when the people who listen to it are frat bros who wanna listen to R&B but are too scared to take black artists seriously
It’s not Country music though. It wouldn’t offend my sensibilities nearly as much if it was honest. It’s not innovative genre blending Country it’s mediocre Pop music.

h64gjCOg_ecSUKpg4Nk4kJ8Li90jlVgu4Ek-Pf1GCOEZVMvXiWVHvZTM-AhtB_eYMXcV8jO3FSDhIE9A4EGrF3WILCorhu3GNzvDOKS1coeZ5Qnr9LnCt5jp7BhuDQdWZm3xkErvU4xY075AyN7sMhqeGLYzD2kC=s0-d-e1-ft

Just received my Emmylou Harris today.

My initial impression is that the jacket is way too dark. Am I wrong on that?

And playing it...What beautiful music. She truly has the voice of an angel. Nicely remastered (even if it's not AAA).

But...the last track on the A side (Before Believe) has several pops. Maybe these go away with a proper cleaning?

Except...the B side has the Trademark GZ crackle all over the right channel.

FFS. I really like most of the curation for the Country track - I don't even mind Sam Hunt - but I can't do it if they keep pressing these albums at GZ. What a disservice to such great music. I'd stick around for Grievous Angel, but I might as well just get the Rhino remaster that was pressed at Record Industry.
Mine has some really bad crackle on both sides. Awaiting replacement now.

It’s nice to see that neither Buck Owens or Gram Parsons will be pressed at GZ.

*Edit: Wait. Grievous Angel may be pressed at GZ. The article says “plated” at Welcome to 1979. No language about it being pressed there. Not a good sign.

Last edited:
It’s nice to see that neither Buck Owens or Gram Parsons will be pressed at GZ.

*Edit: Wait. Grievous Angel may be pressed at GZ. The article says “plated” at Welcome to 1979. No language about it being pressed there. Not a good sign.

For sure will be pressed at GZ I think. That's their default unless otherwise specified. "Plated at..." is their lip service for their GZ pressings, basically saying "well look, it could be worse"

For sure will be pressed at GZ I think. That's their default unless otherwise specified. "Plated at..." is their lip service for their GZ pressings, basically saying "well look, it could be worse"
Buck Owens states is pressed at Third Man Records, so that one definitely isn’t GZ!

Gram Parsons is likely a GZ pressing as it was stated to be ‘plated’ at Welcome to 1979 at Nashville!

I think they have to plate elsewhere if they want to do AAA, but press at GZ. I believe Storf or Cam admitted as much on the old forum.

Those Sam Hunt write-ups are...well they're something else. I think I like his output more than some other folks and I'm not even scoffing at it being considered country really, but they may as well get Sam Hunt's mom to give a testimonial as well if that's the kind of verbiage they're gonna throw out there. Elvis, Garth, Dolly? They are nothing compared to SAM HUNT. Sam Hunt saved my child from a burning building then dropped a beat over the country song he wrote about it..

Like seriously though...didn't Lil Nas X have the biggest country/R&B/hip hop mishmosh single of all time like two years ago? I'm all cool if you like Sam Hunt but he is what he is, you can probably count more influential and boundary pushing musicians on all your fingers and toes before you get to him.

Last edited:
I swapped Sam Hunt for Merle Haggard! I warmed a little up to the album and the fact that the pressing is AAA, and is said to sound amazing, makes me excited to spin this one! Happy to be continuing to expand my Country library! 🤠
That Merle album sounds wonderful, glad you warmed up to it. I’ve probably spun that one more than any other VMP record this year.

Back