Vinyl Me Please Country

It's gotta appeal to SOMEBODY, right? It's popular enough where I kind of get that VMP has to occasionally touch on it. I've never been a track completionist so I have no problem with chalking it up to being not my thing and waiting for another month.
I think it definitely has its fans but the bigger question is how many of these type of music fans also collect vinyl? I think that overlap is very small.

It’s not Country Music. The vast majority of record collectors that also enjoy Country Music likely agree that Sam Hunt represents all that is wrong with modern Country.

If anyone is looking for an alternate Country LP to pick up this month should check this out…
Music City USA

Amazon product ASIN B098RWWY9F
It’s is half the price, comes pressed on 2xLPs at 45 rpm and is one of the best Country releases of the year.

There is also an indie record store exclusive that comes with a signed print.

I think it definitely has its fans but the bigger question is how many of these type of music fans also collect vinyl? I think that overlap is very small.

It’s not Country Music. The vast majority of record collectors that also enjoy Country Music likely agree that Sam Hunt represents all that is wrong with modern Country.

If anyone is looking for an alternate Country LP to pick up this month should check this out…
Music City USA

It’s is half the price, comes pressed on 2xLPs at 45 rpm and is one of the best Country releases of the year.

Amen! This and the Sierra Ferrell record are in heavy rotation at my house.

Music City USA

I'm into this one so far based on that song you posted. Adding it to my list of albums to check out. Thanks for the rec!

At least we will get the liner notes from storf saying he's "innovating country and expanding its appeal" instead of just watering it down

On Reddit the joke is already maga red vinyl.. I don't think he is a trump supporter though.. apparently he likes Obama but even Toby Keith endorsed Obama

To me it feels like there's a lot of parallels to John Mayer's Continuum here. Mainstream artist that is, for better or for worse, a quasi-poster child of a genre or musician type who began to grate on the nerves of some segment of music fans. Everyone was convinced that would bomb too and I remember vinylcollectors being riddled with at-cost copies. That is now a bit over market and rather well received.

I think most people here, including myself, don't really care for this album, but it ended up on many best-of-2010s country lists from more pop focused outlets and I think there is a gap between the bro-country side and him musically. I think the electronic elements do dovetail a bit with what a lot of VMP's user base outside of the classic country realm do like and the music feels like it leaves room for a really good master to punch it up.

I don't like the choice personally but I think I get it, I wouldn't be surprised that if they don't press a lot of this one that it becomes somewhat wanted down the road.

Strategically, the track really does need something from the post-Garth era not named "Sturgill" and they probably would need to prep to make their Stapleton or Lambert pick count, whereas with Hunt it's Montevallo or Southside.

To me it feels like there's a lot of parallels to John Mayer's Continuum here. Mainstream artist that is, for better or for worse, a quasi-poster child of a genre or musician type who began to grate on the nerves of some segment of music fans. Everyone was convinced that would bomb too and I remember vinylcollectors being riddled with at-cost copies. That is now a bit over market and rather well received.

I think most people here, including myself, don't really care for this album, but it ended up on many best-of-2010s country lists from more pop focused outlets and I think there is a gap between the bro-country side and him musically. I think the electronic elements do dovetail a bit with what a lot of VMP's user base outside of the classic country realm do like and the music feels like it leaves room for a really good master to punch it up.

I don't like the choice personally but I think I get it, I wouldn't be surprised that if they don't press a lot of this one that it becomes somewhat wanted down the road.

Strategically, the track really does need something from the post-Garth era not named "Sturgill" and they probably would need to prep to make their Stapleton or Lambert pick count, whereas with Hunt it's Montevallo or Southside.
Yeah I'm thinking that's the move they made... Will be interesting to see how it goes.

I see the "popular choice" similarities between this and Mayer, but that's it. Mayer is redeemable IMO. It's just down to preference.

Does anybody think Buck S/T will stick around until the end of the month so I can use the credit from Sam Hunt to buy that?

Strategically, the track really does need something from the post-Garth era not named "Sturgill" and they probably would need to prep to make their Stapleton or Lambert pick count, whereas with Hunt it's Montevallo or Southside
Eric church? Pretty popular in the country scene, and can easily appeal to the vmp country audience

Eric church?
Similar to Stapleton and Lambert, I am assuming a Church pick (if/when it happens) will have to be considered pretty closely with numerous choices.

Like, I am assuming that the initial instinct is to go for Chief, except that just got a 10th anniversary version this year so it may be redundant, especially given he released Soul and Heart this year as well, so unless they had a store exclusive queued up for that it might be a missed opportunity. You might go for Mr. Misunderstood which got a repress last year. I am imagining, given their informal one per artist rule will probably lead them to push Church down the line, especially if you assume they'd want a Church pick to bring in people.

I've noticed at least in RH&H but also in country, they seem to be targeting albums that haven't seen a unique, new version in at least a few years. Some are like, 30 years, but many had some sort of release between 2015-2017 but nothing since. I wouldn't be shocked if their Church wishlist conflicted with other versions in the plans

I'd be surprised if we don't see Eric Church at some point in here after those 2019 or 2020 pressings age a bit.

Similar to Stapleton and Lambert, I am assuming a Church pick (if/when it happens) will have to be considered pretty closely with numerous choices.

Like, I am assuming that the initial instinct is to go for Chief, except that just got a 10th anniversary version this year so it may be redundant, especially given he released Soul and Heart this year as well, so unless they had a store exclusive queued up for that it might be a missed opportunity. You might go for Mr. Misunderstood which got a repress last year. I am imagining, given their informal one per artist rule will probably lead them to push Church down the line, especially if you assume they'd want a Church pick to bring in people.

I've noticed at least in RH&H but also in country, they seem to be targeting albums that haven't seen a unique, new version in at least a few years. Some are like, 30 years, but many had some sort of release between 2015-2017 but nothing since. I wouldn't be shocked if their Church wishlist conflicted with other versions in the plans

I'd be surprised if we don't see Eric Church at some point in here after those 2019 or 2020 pressings age a bit.

I'd take a reissue of Chief in a heartbeat, although it is easily available and there is so much more classic country that I would rather see.

Just received my Emmylou Harris today.

My initial impression is that the jacket is way too dark. Am I wrong on that?

And playing it...What beautiful music. She truly has the voice of an angel. Nicely remastered (even if it's not AAA).

But...the last track on the A side (Before Believe) has several pops. Maybe these go away with a proper cleaning?

Except...the B side has the Trademark GZ crackle all over the right channel.

FFS. I really like most of the curation for the Country track - I don't even mind Sam Hunt - but I can't do it if they keep pressing these albums at GZ. What a disservice to such great music. I'd stick around for Grievous Angel, but I might as well just get the Rhino remaster that was pressed at Record Industry.

Back