Vinyl Me Please Country

I'm still interested to see what they include here. They said on twitter, that they are loosely defining country, but said Monsters of Folk was too indie folk for this track (which I like they're not including even though I would love a reissue of that).

Honestly can't remember last time I was so excited for a VMP release (maybe Motown Anthology).

Outside the obvious here is a list of some albums I would be excited for:

Brooks & Dunn - Brand New Man
George Strait - Easy Come, Easy Go
Keith Whitley - Don’t Close Your Eyes
Clint Black - Killin’ Time
Junior Brown - 12 Shades of Brown
Alan Jackson - A Lot About Livin’...
Jimmie Dale Gilmore - Spinning Around The Sun
Joe Ely - Live Shots
Joe Diffie - Honky Tonk Attitude
Wayne Hancock - Thunderstorms & Neon Signs
Lyle Lovett - The Road To Ensenada
Tracy Lawrence - Time Marches On

It's not a very cool or traditional selection, but I've always wondered why Old Crow Medicine show's s/t debut hasn't been released on vinyl.

I blindly walked into one of their shows in 2005-ish. One of my roommates had an extra ticket, and even though it wasn't straight down my alley, I had nothing better to do. I should maybe be embarrassed to admit that it was my first taste of bluegrass, but as a sheltered suburban NYer, it was a gateway me to a lot of great sounds.

Keith Whitley - Don’t Close Your Eyes

Billy Joe Shaver's Old Five and Dimers Like Me

My people!!! I cannot say enough great things about these two albums.

BJS is more well known I think, but nonetheless essential and it's criminal that it's not more widely available.

Keith Whitley had one of the best voices and song repertoires on the 80's. A monster musician gone too soon.
And, as luck would have it, his song "When You Say Nothing At All" was the number 1 country song on Christmas Day 1988.

Dream picks:

Keith Whitley, Don't Close Your Eyes [see previous post]
Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me [see previous post]

Porter Wagoner & Dolly Parton, Porter Wayne & Dolly Rebecca
My favorite of their collaborations. "Tomorrow Is Forever," "Someone I Used to Know," and "Run That By Me One More Time" are among the finest things either of them ever recorded.

Mac Davis, I Believe In Music
A bit of a dark-horse pick, but I would love it to get the attention it deserves. Though a country album, there's many things about it that touch other genres: the hard funk that pervades "Yesterday & You," the driving rock of "Something's Burning," the gospel choir of "I Believe in Music," the soul that drives "A Little Less Conversation,"... I wish more people were hip to this album.

Faron Young, Hello Walls
Absolutely beautiful, essential "classic" country

Emmylou Harris, either Blue Kentucky Girl or Luxury Liner
I honestly couldn't pick which seemed more essential, I feel too close to both of them.

And I wouldn't say no to anything by:
Conway Twitty (easily one of my weaknesses)
Loretta Lynn
Dolly
Charlie Pride
Merle
Hank Williams III
Alan Jackson

I 2nd the Alan Jackson rec...I'd sign up for one. Also a few Gillian Welch or Miranda Lamberts Kerosene I'd like to see pressed
I was going to say Gillian and Dave but I dont think the quality of what they press can be beat. I don't see how I could replace anything of theirs with a VMP version.

Edit: you know, no offense. 😁

Huh. I wonder how the jazz would differentiate from jazz in classics. Or more likely there would just be months with multiple jazz releases I imagine.

Probably the same but coloured vinyl, digitally sourced & pressed at GZ

I wonder just how "country " this will be. As someone who grew up on late 90/early 2000s pop country I'd kill for alot of those albums on vinyl but I imagine they wont go that direction. I'd sign up for my girls like Reba, faith hill, shania Twain, sara Evan's, martina McBride etc. But I feel like I would be in the minority on that

I wonder just how "country " this will be. As someone who grew up on late 90/early 2000s pop country I'd kill for alot of those albums on vinyl but I imagine they wont go that direction. I'd sign up for my girls like Reba, faith hill, shania Twain, sara Evan's, martina McBride etc. But I feel like I would be in the minority on that
You forget who is curating this.

This is what would really tempt me too. I don’t have high hopes though.

Back