Vinyl Me Please Country

By my reckoning (*not a dedicated country fan*), Live 1973 by Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels is easily one of the top (if not the best) live country albums ever released. Sandwiched between Gram's only two solo albums, GP and Grievous Angel (and thus his 2nd album), it is a classic, and one of my all time favorites. Amazing harmonies between Gram and Emmylou, and the band is loose and gloriously rough around the edges. I was thrilled to pick up the RSD release a few years back, but think it would make an ideal pick for the Country track.

(I also love Live at the Old Quarter, and Live at Folsom Prison would likely be my #3 live country album)

By my reckoning (*not a dedicated country fan*), Live 1973 by Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels is easily one of the top (if not the best) live country albums ever released. Sandwiched between Gram's only two solo albums, GP and Grievous Angel (and thus his 2nd album), it is a classic, and one of my all time favorites. Amazing harmonies between Gram and Emmylou, and the band is loose and gloriously rough around the edges. I was thrilled to pick up the RSD release a few years back, but think it would make an ideal pick for the Country track.

(I also love Live at the Old Quarter, and Live at Folsom Prison would likely be my #3 live country album)

Yeah I was actually going to say that Live at the Old Quarter would probably be my vote as the #2 country live album

how does the VMP Folsom Prison actually sound? I'm debating finding one, but I know there's also a KG AAA cut that was pressed at QRP so I'm a bit torn...

how does the VMP Folsom Prison actually sound? I'm debating finding one, but I know there's also a KG AAA cut that was pressed at QRP so I'm a bit torn...
I thought it sounded great, not quite the upper echelon of VMP pressings (Classics and the John Mayer AOTM). I have no complaints and it was an upgrade for sure over my OG.

I would be interested to hear how it compares to the KG Sundazed. I don't think that one is AAA though, I don't think there's been a AAA reissue of that one in decades for some reason or another. The VMP sounds very good, maybe a tiny bit of crackle at the end of side one during the crowd/PA announcement part but that's the only GZ pressing flaw I remember. I still think I prefer my original stereo copy though, the drums sound crisper without sounding harsh, like all analog cuts usually do.

I would be interested to hear how it compares to the KG Sundazed. I don't think that one is AAA though, I don't think there's been a AAA reissue of that one in decades for some reason or another. The VMP sounds very good, maybe a tiny bit of crackle at the end of side one during the crowd/PA announcement part but that's the only GZ pressing flaw I remember. I still think I prefer my original stereo copy though, the drums sound crisper without sounding harsh, like all analog cuts usually do.
it might not be AAA...the hype sticker has the vague "sourced from the original master tapes" so it could be a high res transfer. there isn't even a discogs entry for the Sundazed QRP/KG cut. I think they quietly did a bunch of repressings after KG moved to Cohearant.

Got the Emmylou Harris. Nice tip-on glossy jacket. The colors are printed too dark though. Can barely see her face on the back especially. The original is clearly better sounding too, really wish they would've gotten AAA mastering on this one. The digital mastering is just so-so. More bass like most modern remasters, but nothing else is as good as the OG (which cost me about $8 at the local shop not that long ago).
Very cool gold crumpled vinyl though.

emmylou-front.jpg

emmylou-back.jpg

Got the Emmylou Harris. Nice tip-on glossy jacket. The colors are printed too dark though. Can barely see her face on the back especially. The original is clearly better sounding too, really wish they would've gotten AAA mastering on this one. The digital mastering is just so-so. More bass like most modern remasters, but nothing else is as good as the OG (which cost me about $8 at the local shop not that long ago).
Very cool gold crumpled vinyl though.

View attachment 111732

View attachment 111733
Disappointed to to hear this. It’s a lovely album and I was hoping the remaster would do it justice even though it wasn‘t AAA.

Back