Vinyl Me Please Country

Locked grooves and mislabels, glad I didn't drop 30 plus bucks on this owning the OG. Has anyone noticed any differences aurally between this and the OG press?
Yes actually. I have the original press which sounded "fine" but wasn't pressed particularly well. The VMP sounds better/fuller and actually is much quieter. My copy has no issues. No locked grooves. Very little surface noise, if any. It's a nice pressing. Not audiophile grade, but well done.

Yes actually. I have the original press which sounded "fine" but wasn't pressed particularly well. The VMP sounds better/fuller and actually is much quieter. My copy has no issues. No locked grooves. Very little surface noise, if any. It's a nice pressing. Not audiophile grade, but well done.

This is what I've been waiting and hoping to hear. Thank you!

Yeah I agree that this reissue does sound better. The mastering for the original was fine but didn’t wow me at all. I agree with the fuller sound. It also doesn’t help that my pressing was an incredibly shitty, distorted mess. I’m not sure which plant was used to press it.

Yeah I agree that this reissue does sound better. The mastering for the original was fine but didn’t wow me at all. I agree with the fuller sound. It also doesn’t help that my pressing was an incredibly shitty, distorted mess. I’m not sure which plant was used to press it.
Didn't they say they used the same master?

All these comments about locked grooves are making me nervous, but looking forward to getting Sturgill this week. Looks like Demon Days all over again (which I actually got a decent copy of).

Just an FYI, my original (actually think it might be a repress but originalish enough) copy of Sturgill has a matrix of: “HTM-002-A L-23908m-RE5-A4 CJH WELCOME TO 1979” and is pressed at United Records (U in a circle). The VMP pressing only has what looks like: “IK# 290700 A” with what looks like small initials “LP” with the P overlapping the L. The deadwax space is appears to be slightly different on the VMP pressing compared to my original copy.

Just an FYI, my original (actually think it might be a repress but originalish enough) copy of Sturgill has a matrix of: “HTM-002-A L-23908m-RE5-A4 CJH WELCOME TO 1979” and is pressed at United Records (U in a circle). The VMP pressing only has what looks like: “IK# 290700 A” with what looks like small initials “LP” with the P overlapping the L. The deadwax space is appears to be slightly different on the VMP pressing compared to my original copy.
Should be:

"Pete Lyman | Discography | Discogs" https://www.discogs.com/artist/382380-Pete-Lyman

Just to add to the frayed nerves: I've got the locked groove on Side B too.

Aside from that, my record is flat, the color looks really nice, and the album sounds great (particularly on Side B, or maybe I was just listening more closely). I have an original - actually the breast cancer awareness version - I'll get around to listening side-by-side at some point.

I managed to dodge the bullet on side B, and Sturgill plays and sounds decently. Trying to decide which cover of Sturgill's I like best, "The Promise" or "In Bloom" and I think I'm leaning towards "The Promise".
“The Promise” definitely. “In Bloom” is fine but but his cover of “The Promise” made me reevaluate the When In Rome original.

When in Rome's "The Promise" is one of my favourite 80's songs. Sturgill's version is a very strong contender.
Yeah, maybe it's my age but I never really gave the When In Rome version much of a chance prior to hearing Sturgill's version. My appreciation for the original has grown immensely since.

Back