Vinyl Me Please Country

Now that you mention it I do remember seeing discussion around different cuts somewhere else too. So I just checked mine and I have PL on both sides.

Shenanigans!

I looked it up on Discogs and yeah, there are two different VMP versions, with differently plated A sides.

Oh well, they’re a new company just figuring out this crazy vinyl game. It’s not like they are charging Audiophile prices...oh, wait.

Well I got my Sturgil, finally put it on tonight, figured I check side B to start, aaand, locked groove in effect. I already emailed about replacement, but how do they handle those , will I have to send back this copy first? I was a member back in like 2016 but never had to do a replacement.

Well I got my Sturgil, finally put it on tonight, figured I check side B to start, aaand, locked groove in effect. I already emailed about replacement, but how do they handle those , will I have to send back this copy first? I was a member back in like 2016 but never had to do a replacement.
Nah, they should just send you a replacement or just get you store credit. Regardless you will get to keep the bum album.

I looked it up on Discogs and yeah, there are two different VMP versions, with differently plated A sides.

Oh well, they’re a new company just figuring out this crazy vinyl game. It’s not like they are charging Audiophile prices...oh, wait.
Wooow this is wild. How can this possibly happen? Do they even have any control or knowledge on the product they sell?

Just got my Sturgill today. No locked groove. Correct center labels. Sounds great. Especially Side B. (Slightly quieter noise floor with cleaner vocals if that makes sense?) Which is a little weird right? Or maybe I’m imagining things. So I checked...Side A has CJH in the dead wax and Side B has PL in the dead wax. Is that what everyone else got? Is that from two different cuts?
That's wild. This was my initial listen of the album, maybe my ears weren't full of shit? I got a replacement copy yesterday but haven't even opened/cleaned it. I wonder what mishmash of different sides and/or locked grooves are awaiting me at home.

(me): Aside from that, my record is flat, the color looks really nice, and the album sounds great (particularly on Side B, or maybe I was just listening more closely).

That's wild. This was my initial listen of the album, maybe my ears weren't full of shit? I got a replacement copy yesterday but haven't even opened/cleaned it. I wonder what mishmash of different sides and/or locked grooves are awaiting me at home.

It’s a subtle sonic change, and I thought I was imagining it too. (And maybe I was? I do think the vocals are supposed to be at the distortion breaking point on those first half songs.) Not sure two different cuts garners asking for a replacement as I think both sides sound good, plus it’ll make me laugh every time I put the album on.

Hope your 2nd copy is clean.

It’s a subtle sonic change, and I thought I was imagining it too. (And maybe I was? I do think the vocals are supposed to be at the distortion breaking point on those first half songs.) Not sure two different cuts garners asking for a replacement as I think both sides sound good, plus it’ll make me laugh every time I put the album on.

Hope your 2nd copy is clean.
I had only checked my side B for the locked groove (which it has) but just sat down for a bit with it, and I have this version. Two different cuts. Side A definitely has more noise, and things sound pushed to almost distortion at times (where they shouldn't). I was gonna do credit they offered for the locked issue, but thinking I'd rather try for a copy with both ' LP' cuts. QC disaster, wowsers

It’s not that uncommon for reissues to have varying matrix runouts. I’m pretty sure this is a first for VMP though and it’s very curious.

It’s not that uncommon for reissues to have varying matrix runouts. I’m pretty sure this is a first for VMP though and it’s very curious.
This is odd though because the "welcome to 1979" runout is from the 1st press which didn't sound all that great compared to this reissue. My copy has the correct labels, the PL in both runouts, no lock groove, and sounds fantastic. I almost feel guilty! (Sorry not sorry)

VMP Country has been quite a pleasant ride for me so far. Really loving this Merle Haggard, will be my second country album right next to Johnny Cash. Excited to check out the next 3 months, keeping fingers crossed for Gunfighter Ballads as that’s the only other country album I like, shouts out Fallout: New Vegas for putting me on

my guess:
George Strait- Strait Country
Dolly Parton- coat of many colors
Glen Campbell-rhinestone cowboy

could be Enmylou Harris’ Pieces of the sky as well

Edit: forgot 91 was 30 years not 81

Last edited:
Trisha Yearwood’s debut hasn’t been pressed in 30 years since its debut, also Ropin the Wind stands out like a sore thumb as needing a repress but Garth is so tight on control. Brand New Man hasn’t been pressed either and would be genuinely interesting. 91 is a tough year to predict though, lots of big artists put out goodies.

Back