Vinyl Me Please Country

The 2009 Rhino vinyl sounds fantastic, but is OOP, so prices aren’t cheap.

I picked up a clean copy of this...
... back in 2017 off eBay for like $14 shipped and it sounds great...not $85 great like the crazy person is currently trying to sell their copy on Discogs thinks it’s worth but if you find a copy in good condition for under $20 it would be worth picking up.

Thanks guys, appreciated. I'll wrangle a copy one of these days.

VMP nailed the Shotgun Willie release. Agree with above post that this is the best sounding version out there, by a wide margin. This is my fourth copy, a couple of 70’s pressings, and the Rhino, and this destroys them. Great mastering - plenty of air around everything, and a really good balance between Willie’s vocals, and the music. Flat, centered, and except for a little very faint surface noise on the last track, almost dead quiet. This is a no brainer for anyone’s collection in my mind.

Anyone else have cyclical crackling on the last song of side B on Shotgun Willie? Its weird because I don't see any sort of visible defect but can hear it despite multiple vacuum cleanings. Just want to make sure its not some tape issue before I ask for a replacement. Thanks!
That’s the same track that I get a short “swooshing” sound for a couple of seconds, and there is some very faint surface noise throughout the track. Sounds similar to what you are describing, but I’m pretty sure I can live with it, as the rest is almost dead quiet, and sounds great.

I asked Storf on Twitter if there was anything new about this Sturgill edition other than color and 180 gram like new mastering. He said Sturgill was happy with the existing mastering. So that's one I don't have to worry about signing up for.
Good to know. This will be an easy swap for me then.

I asked Storf on Twitter if there was anything new about this Sturgill edition other than color and 180 gram like new mastering. He said Sturgill was happy with the existing mastering. So that's one I don't have to worry about signing up for.
The variant does look pretty great though. I will be keeping by ROTM every month unless they really throw up a dud.

It's pretty, sure, but not $39 pretty. If it were 45rpm even, I think it would be an instant buy for me as I love this record. But when it's just a prettier version of what I already own, it's a pass. I was about to get in on the Shotgun Willie until I came across a $15 copy a month ago. I do hope it gets some new people interested in Sturgill. It would be cool if VMP were offering a variant of Sailor's Guide.

It's pretty, sure, but not $39 pretty. If it were 45rpm even, I think it would be an instant buy for me as I love this record. But when it's just a prettier version of what I already own, it's a pass. I was about to get in on the Shotgun Willie until I came across a $15 copy a month ago. I do hope it gets some new people interested in Sturgill. It would be cool if VMP were offering a variant of Sailor's Guide.

I used by tax return to get a yearly subscription so it was easier to stomach at $33 a month. Still probably overpriced but hard to argue with the sub so far although there better be some women artists soon.

That is if Sturgill ever presses it. Seems like if he wanted it out in the world, it would already be there.
I guess that's true. I've got MP3s of the LP, and it sounds good to my ears, but Sturgill is a man who does whatever the hell he wants.

At least he's re-recorded some of the songs, I suppose.

That scares me. I like the album upon listen. Love the music, but if its a crap master what's the point?
From what I've garnered through a few conversations its the pressing not the master that was the issue previously. While the VMP version isn't coming from a primo pressing plant, it is an upgrade from the original. Which leaves me hopeful.

[edit: typo]

Last edited:
Yeah I didn’t realize that the current pressing is from United. So this VMP reissue could be better.

I’m going to take a gamble on it. I forgot that I’m still on the bridge deal and it only comes to $30. Still probably over priced, but I can live with it.

Yeah I didn’t realize that the current pressing is from United. So this VMP reissue could be better.

I’m going to take a gamble on it. I forgot that I’m still on the bridge deal and it only comes to $30. Still probably over priced, but I can live with it.
I have the current pressing. It sounds like...a typical United pressing...I'm getting the VMP in hopes of an upgrade but I won't hold my breath.

Back