Freddie Hubbard - Body & Soul
Getz/Gilberto
Andrew Hill - Judgement!
Marvin Gaye & Mary Wells - Together
Mary Wells- Sings My Guy
Ray Barretto - Guajira Y Guaguanco
Four Tops - Four Tops
Otis Redding - Pain In My Heart
(Might be some I've missed, I loathe Reddit)

I asked if "Is Classics from a label you've done an Anthology of?", to which his response was: "Good question. Not gonna answer it, but good, nonetheless."

I'll take that as it's likely from Motown. So my new guess is: The Temptations - Meet the Temptations

Doesn't look like it's been reissued recently either (by anyone reputable anyway).

Mmm, some Temptations would be saucy.

Unfortunately, Storf gave my The Temptations guess a "Nah, that's not it."

Of course, he also said, "Where did I say it's not Sam Cooke?" despite two of us having guessed Cooke's Ain't It Good News before he said it hadn't been said, so who knows. No one had guessed Sam Cooke at The Copa, so that's potentially in play. I'll check back in when he gives another hint.

Yeah, there was a RSD Ain't It Good News a few years ago that I got which sounds good, so I'm glad it's not that.

I don't think Storf was hinting it was Sam Cooke, he was just pointing out that he never said it wast Sam cooke, just that he said it wasn't THAT sam cooke. I'm Leaning away from Motown too since the biggest albums of 64 were either nixed or likely in the Anthology. Still think it's totally a soul LP though.

I have Immortal, which has a VG+ surface but has a lot of crap in the pressing, probably cheap recycled vinyl. I've seen this album and Today a few more times all with this same crap all over the surface, so I've been holding out for a cleaner looking copy to float my way. I would love a good reissue!

I might actually favor the 60s MJH records to the original recordings, the added roughness to his voice really sell the songs better IMO.

I totally agree. He did not miss a beat over those 40 years (probably because he’s always had his very own, idiosyncratic style), and the 60s recordings just sound better.

It’s easy to get hyperbolic with music and say that “everything so-and-so ever record is gold,” but in MJH’s case that may actually be true.

I proactively asked CS if there is anything for this month that isnt in the warehouse yet and could delay orders (instead of having it be a surprise), and Tyler said they're dropping the first ship list today but that the Classics album wouldnt be shipping out until the 8th. So just a heads up, if you have classics, you've likely got at least a week to go before you get a shipping notice.

I proactively asked CS if there is anything for this month that isnt in the warehouse yet and could delay orders (instead of having it be a surprise), and Tyler said they're dropping the first ship list today but that the Classics album wouldnt be shipping out until the 8th. So just a heads up, if you have classics, you've likely got at least a week to go before you get a shipping notice.

Feel like this has happened since switching to QRP. But honestly I’d rather wait for a good pressing.

Love that song.

Love the cover version by The Rolling Stones.

Love the sample used for Jump Around by House Of Pain. This song was on every night that I went out for about 25 years. If you live in Ireland you can recite it word for word

Never seen the video for the version by The Stones Before. Weird start which I thought someone had just dubbed over. Pretty cool

From Reddit:

Me: "Would you double up and use an artist in Anthology and in Classics?"
Storf: "Yeah, it’s for sure going to happen. Different albums though."
Me: <Raises the People's Eyebrow>
New guess: Mary Wells - Mary Wells Sings My Guy

LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!! It’s so Classic! 👌

I just listened to miles Davis and John Coltrane, which I picked up off of eBay. It was in perfect condition and sounds great. As I said earlier, I’ve only been in since orientalists jazz. I’m looking to pick up a few earlier titles that I missed, starting with this one. I’m more of a jazz guy but I do love Nina Simone. Do you guys recommend that album? Thanks!

I just listened to miles Davis and John Coltrane, which I picked up off of eBay. It was in perfect condition and sounds great. As I said earlier, I’ve only been in since orientalists jazz. I’m looking to pick up a few earlier titles that I missed, starting with this one. I’m more of a jazz guy but I do love Nina Simone. Do you guys recommend that album? Thanks!

The Nina album isn’t classics. Just a general ROTM. And it’s fantastic.

Back