Vinyl Me Please Classics

Ronnettes, maybe?
That would be a great choice. I only know singles but whatever the best Ronnettes record is, I would love that one.

Doc Watson would be cool. Storf probably would have spilled the beans on it being country already though. Don't know if they'd go there for Classics anyway.
This would also be cool. I have a number of Doc Watson records but if one of his best, out of print, records was the choice that would be fine by me.

Doc Watson would be cool. Storf probably would have spilled the beans on it being country already though. Don't know if they'd go there for Classics anyway.

Yeah I think bluegrass is out of bounds for classics. I would love a nice reissue of that record though, a great performance from Doc and rooted more in tradition than his later works (which I still love). Plus all his vanguard stuff was very well recorded and vanguard didn’t have the best quality vinyl quality in the 60s. I do have a nice quiet mono pressing of Southbound, but I also want to grab the Cisco at some point for a stereo copy, since it’s quite hard to find NM / VG+ playing copies. Thankfully barring a vinyl reissue the CDs for most of these 60s Doc albums also sound excellent.

Presenting the Ronettes was my first thought, but I did think of the in-print Sundazed reissue of that record, which may or may not be a sticking point. That one is phenomenal, cut by Kevin Gray, best Phillies sound on vinyl I’ve heard. Likey digital with sundazed, but much better than the sound of the usually recommended “echos of the 60s” UK comp. Also wonder if they would be cool with Spector getting royalties.

Yeah I think bluegrass is out of bounds for classics. I would love a nice reissue of that record though, a great performance from Doc and rooted more in tradition than his later works (which I still love). Plus all his vanguard stuff was very well recorded and vanguard didn’t have the best quality vinyl quality in the 60s. I do have a nice quiet mono pressing of Southbound, but I also want to grab the Cisco at some point for a stereo copy, since it’s quite hard to find NM / VG+ playing copies. Thankfully barring a vinyl reissue the CDs for most of these 60s Doc albums also sound excellent.

Presenting the Ronettes was my first thought, but I did think of the in-print Sundazed reissue of that record, which may or may not be a sticking point. That one is phenomenal, cut by Kevin Gray, best Phillies sound on vinyl I’ve heard. Likey digital with sundazed, but much better than the sound of the usually recommended “echos of the 60s” UK comp. Also wonder if they would be cool with Spector getting royalties.
Would you call that album bluegrass? I don't think so. I'd say it's more Appalachian Folk/Blues.

Would you call that album bluegrass? I don't think so. I'd say it's more Appalachian Folk/Blues.

True, that particular album may be more rooted in tradition and folk, and the earlier LP on folkways (technically a family affair) even more so. I guess to me bluegrass is just a commercialization of those same influences via Flatt & Scruggs, who Watson would collaborate with later on.

I think you can call it bluegrass, folk, Appalachian, country blues and all be right. Doc had a lot of influences and was highly influential so he sort of defies labels to me.

VMP would just call it whatever the genre labels on wiki are lol.

Have you heard that Doc Watson record? Might not sound like what you're thinking of. If you like stripped down blues, you should check it out.

At Folsom Prison is also incredible.
I should check them out then! Maybe I will like them! I’m not too much of a blues person, but I still do enjoy the music in general. I’m more of a Motown/Stax/Impulse/Blue Note person though!

I hope it's gonna be a blues record (preferably chicago electric). The description of the classics subscription says "... Focusing on the genres of jazz, blues and soul ...", and the blues part is what I joined for mostly. And the last bluesy record was february, since then jazz, funk, soul, gospel, latin....
However jazz and latin grooves become more and more important to me. I love last month's Freedom Rider, spinning daily now...

Last edited:
Back