Vinyl Me Please Classics

Listening to Celia y Johnny, it's not grabbing me. Can someone tell me what I should be listening for on it? What makes it a classic? Not asking in a dismissive way, it's just not my typical style so I'm not sure what sets it apart.

Listening to Celia y Johnny, it's not grabbing me. Can someone tell me what I should be listening for on it? What makes it a classic? Not asking in a dismissive way, it's just not my typical style so I'm not sure what sets it apart.

and from the government:

Thanks! That certainly helps and puts context around the album. This quote is great:

“When I was rehearsing the band,” Pacheco remembers, “I saw that we had Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and two Jewish fellows. When you make a sauce, you have different ingredients. And when I saw the band and the singer I thought, this is what we got. We got salsa.”

Finally get a Blue Note classics, and mine arrives warped and with a bent corner. So fuckin’ bummed right now although it plays fine...I really should just stay away from VMP

(For a reference, this is the second warped Classics record I’ve ever received)

EDIT - Side B is perfectly flat, so perhaps a vinyl flat could make it perfect...I’ve got hope!
Tyler to the rescue!
Replacement being sent 👌

For my top 3 list (for ones that I have):
  1. Al Green - Call Me
  2. Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
  3. Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
I started on the Essentials track for my VMP membership but have moved over to Classics for until my membership expires. Even though I'm feeling "meh" on the upcoming Classics RotM, I appreciate that they are now using QRP as the press plant since Call Me.

Even Jim Sullivan? 😜
Don’t even get me started on that gross, outdated, flannel shirt Essentials ROTM!!! 😤

The Essentials track is about essential listening, not about essential stories on artists’ lives that were mysterious or shocking lol 😂

Can’t deal with how bad of an Essentials pick it was. Not even uncle @Joe Mac wanted that boring album! Biggest waste of an Essentials ROTM to date 🤦‍♂️

1. Al Green - Call Me
I started on the Essentials track for my VMP membership but have moved over to Classics for until my membership expires. Even though I'm feeling "meh" on the upcoming Classics RotM, I appreciate that they are now using QRP as the press plant since Call Me.
Mmmmmm this would be my list too! I haven’t received The Freedom Rider yet, but I absolutely loved what I heard on streaming and know the VMP pressing for this will sound 👌

What would everyone consider their favorite VMP Classics Releases?

My Top Three

1. Al Green - Call Me
2. Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie
3. Art Blakey & TJM - Freedom Riders
In no particular order:

Al Green - Call Me
John Lee Hooker - Serve You Right To Suffer
Miles Davis and John Coltrane - The Final Tour

1. Al Green - Call Me
Great list. It's too bad Alice is the odd one out in terms of AAA.

Don’t even get me started on that gross, outdated, flannel shirt Essentials ROTM!!! 😤

The Essentials track is about essential listening, not about essential stories on artists’ lives that were mysterious or shocking lol 😂

Can’t deal with how bad of an Essentials pick it was. Not even uncle @Joe Mac wanted that boring album! Biggest waste of an Essentials ROTM to date 🤦‍♂️

I haven’t wanted an essentials album since De La Soul, it wasn’t as bad as Phoenix and there’s only one person who gets to call me Uncle and you are not her 😜

Back