Vinyl Me Please Classics

as a flautist, I am... not insulted. although I am def more Jerry Eubanks than yazz flute :LOL: do you hate all flute or just the kind that tips to smooth jazz?

Smooth jazz flute and sometime the kind of over the top Celtic flute that can be all over our trad music. I have no opinion on other types of flute music or flautists in general haha!

Al Green, Call Me
Muddy Waters, Fathers & Sons
Art Blakey, The Freedom Rider
Buddy Guy, Left My Blues In San Francisco
William Bell, The Soul Of A Bell
Eddie Floyd, Knock On Wood
Miles Davis & John Coltrane, The Final Tour 1960

It's really a 7-way tie for those as my top 3.

I really like the Max Roach and Isley Brothers releases too.

My top tier Classics are:
  • James Booker
  • Art Blakey
  • Lafayette Afro-Rock Band
  • Donald Byrd (I don't have the VMP version, so I'm judging it by music only)
  • Alice Coltrane
Next tier is probably Miles/Trane, Max Roach, and Blossom Dearie.

Out of those I've probably listened to Donald Byrd the most (because I had it before the Classics version dropped) and I have never, ever thought it sounded like smooth jazz. It's a great album, and much stronger than the Stepping Into Tomorrow exclusive that dropped some time later and definitely has some 70s-cheese passages.

as a flautist, I am... not insulted. although I am def more Jerry Eubanks than yazz flute :LOL: do you hate all flute or just the kind that tips to smooth jazz?

Just smooth Jazz. Otherwise, it's a fantastic instrument. Although I always found it amusing that Jethro Tull won the best heavy metal Grammy while liberally employing the flute. That never quite added up for me and but I thought that it was funny the band responded by saying the flute was a "heavy, metal instrument."

Just smooth Jazz. Otherwise, it's a fantastic instrument. Although I always found it amusing that Jethro Tull won the best heavy metal Grammy while liberally employing the flute. That never quite added up for me and but I thought that it was funny the band responded by saying the flute was a "heavy, metal instrument."
beat out Metallica, too, and presenting Alice Cooper looked so dang dejected. always loved that tidbit.

As much as I’m digging Celia Y Johnny I think I’m going to have to swap both my essentials and classics tracks to swipe some swaps I’ve wanted. Thinking swapping classics with Etta Jones ( I have a feeling it will be available this month) and essentials with Gorillaz (apparently it will be up for grabs this month).

As much as I’m digging Celia Y Johnny I think I’m going to have to swap both my essentials and classics tracks to swipe some swaps I’ve wanted. Thinking swapping classics with Etta Jones ( I have a feeling it will be available this month) and essentials with Gorillaz (apparently it will be up for grabs this month).
Also, Celia Y Johnny will stick around for awhile. So smart move grabbing other records that have a higher chance of disappearing quicker.

My top tier Classics are:
  • James Booker
  • Art Blakey
  • Lafayette Afro-Rock Band
  • Donald Byrd (I don't have the VMP version, so I'm judging it by music only)
  • Alice Coltrane
Next tier is probably Miles/Trane, Max Roach, and Blossom Dearie.

Out of those I've probably listened to Donald Byrd the most (because I had it before the Classics version dropped) and I have never, ever thought it sounded like smooth jazz. It's a great album, and much stronger than the Stepping Into Tomorrow exclusive that dropped some time later and definitely has some 70s-cheese passages.
No Al Green in your top tier classics?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No Al Green in your top tier classics?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No. I like jazz and funk much better than soul, so I swapped that month for something else (I think I changed tracks to get Experience Unlimited). I'm happy with my cheapo copy of Al Green's Greatest Hits.

No. I like jazz and funk much better than soul, so I swapped that month for something else (I think I changed tracks to get Experience Unlimited). I'm happy with my cheapo copy of Al Green's Greatest Hits.
I can get that. Did you listen to Call Me on Spotify though? I had no prior love for Al Green outside of “Let’s Stay Together” before getting this record and now it’s fotta be one of my favorite albums of all time. So so so so beautiful

1: Miles Davis & John Coltrane - The Final Tour: Paris, March 21, 1960
2: Al Green - Call Me

3 - 6 (Order depends on mood): William Bell, Art Blakey, Koko Taylor, Blossom Dearie

7 - 26: The other albums

27: Carla Thomas
28: Willie Bobo
Clearly the worst Classics album: Oriental Jazz.
Damn it why did you have to slip that last line in there!? The only Classics release I'm bummed not to have.

Damn it why did you have to slip that last line in there!? The only Classics release I'm bummed not to have.
I must be the only person who actually liked Oriental Jazz.

Please don't let my jadedness about Oriental Jazz influence you. Everyone has their own taste, and the world is better because of it. If you enjoy Oriental Jazz, I'm glad you like it. Curate your own collection.

1: Miles Davis & John Coltrane - The Final Tour: Paris, March 21, 1960
2: Al Green - Call Me

3 - 6 (Order depends on mood): William Bell, Art Blakey, Koko Taylor, Blossom Dearie

7 - 26: The other albums

27: Carla Thomas
28: Willie Bobo
Clearly the worst Classics album: Oriental Jazz.
No love for Darrell Banks?

Back