Vinyl Me Please Classics

Sounds like a great album to let run and just groove in the background too.
Oooooooooooooh yes! +justments is quite a dreamy and atmospheric listen, so it’s definitely a vibe just having on in the background! Perfect to play during a sunny day as well as lazy day! I cannot wait to hear this particular VMP pressing! 🏆

I’ve still got the Music On Vinyl pressing, and I haven’t played it in a while because it’s at my parents house, but I think I’ll pick it up over the weekend and spin the album Monday to further hype me! 🙊

Just checked and its saying "Join Standby List" so yeah, it looks like it has potentially sold out! Which is quite shocking tbh.
I’m not shocked at all! Bill Withers is a very popular, likeable artist and +justments has a cult following/is viewed as a masterpiece by many! It’s also just a really indie/stylish album too if you know what I mean! +justments is everything to me! ⭐☕🥀🌻🕰📙

I actually thought this Classics ROTM would be as popular as Al Green’s Call Me, which also sold out very quickly! Bill Withers in my opinion is more popular/better known than Al Green, so I’m not surprised one bit this sold out! 🌝

I’m patiently waiting for Marvin Gaye’s I Want You to get the AAA, Ryan Smith treatment! 🏺🍸💃🕺

I’m not shocked at all! Bill Withers is a very popular, likeable artist and +justments has a cult following/is viewed as a masterpiece by many! It’s also just a really indie/stylish album too if you know what I mean! +justments is everything to me! ⭐☕🥀🌻🕰📙

I actually thought this Classics ROTM would be as popular as Al Green’s Call Me, which also sold out very quickly! Bill Withers in my opinion is more popular/better known than Al Green, so I’m not surprised one bit this sold out! 🌝

I’m patiently waiting for Marvin Gaye’s I Want You to get the AAA, Ryan Smith treatment! 🏺🍸💃🕺
my favorite Marvin record...I have numerous copies from all over the world and they're all just ok SQ wise....Always up to hear other opinions but the maybe the magic isn't there on the tape...and honestly RKS is just not doing it for me, everything is too smoothed out. I want to hear the edges, want it sound alive and breathing...all these audiophile records are missing what the originals had. dirt, grime and drugs...

my favorite Marvin record...I have numerous copies from all over the world and they're all just ok SQ wise....Always up to hear other opinions but the maybe the magic isn't there on the tape...and honestly RKS is just not doing it for me, everything is too smoothed out. I want to hear the edges, want it sound alive and breathing...all these audiophile records are missing what the originals had. dirt, grime and drugs...
I think I know what you mean. Idk if you’ve heard this month’s Classics pick, but the Abbey Lincoln record has this issue I think. I was actually kinda disappointed with the mastering. It feels too... soft? I’m struggling to find something to grab onto when listening. If that makes any sense.

To be fair, I’ve enjoyed plenty of RKS pressings, but what you describe is definitely something I’ve noticed.

I think I know what you mean. Idk if you’ve heard this month’s Classics pick, but the Abbey Lincoln record has this issue I think. I was actually kinda disappointed with the mastering. It feels too... soft? I’m struggling to find something to grab onto when listening. If that makes any sense.

To be fair, I’ve enjoyed plenty of RKS pressings, but what you describe is definitely something I’ve noticed.
I saw someone on cogs mentioning this exact thing on the Abbey Lincoln pressing, its AAA sure but it aint no Boom Boom mastering job. RKS can sometimes come off a bit dull in comparison, perhaps a bit more laid back.

I saw someone on cogs mentioning this exact thing on the Abbey Lincoln pressing, its AAA sure but it aint no Boom Boom mastering job. RKS can sometimes come off a bit dull in comparison, perhaps a bit more laid back.
Yes. Laid back. That’s definitely how I’d describe the mastering. Which, idk I guess can work. But for this particular album I would have wanted a bit more bite.

Vocal albums of that era can be MAGIC...I don't know what he did, but I'll be cancelling my VMP after this one, just too pricey I'd rather buy used and I'm over the FOMO thing and have too many f*cking records anyways...

don't get me started on P-Vine out of Japan of late....and if someone truly nails the Marvin album I guess I'll have buy from a flipper, but my suspect take is that the magic isn't on the tape.

Glad they're shipping out the other ROTMs outside of this, but I feel all these fuck ups and corrections are just going to lead to higher membership costs sooner rather than later. I couldn't care less about the listening notes and wish they weren't going to spend money on sending them to me.

I'm not a current VMP member, but I really really really want the upcoming Lee Morgan. I was thinking just to wait until it comes up, and immediately sign up for a 1-month membership only. However, VMP-injected FOMO has me by my balls, and I don't wanna end up on the "Standby-List", as it would be with the current Classics release. And it could be like this since I'd think that Morgan would be rather popular and maybe sells out quickly.
Another thought was to join Classic now with a month-by-month subscription, get one record now (there's 2 records in stock right now that would be interessting to me, however I'm not sure yet if those are 50$-interessting), and the Lee Morgan next month, and then cancel again.

What would you guys do if you just need to have that one record?

I'm not a current VMP member, but I really really really want the upcoming Lee Morgan. I was thinking just to wait until it comes up, and immediately sign up for a 1-month membership only. However, VMP-injected FOMO has me by my balls, and I don't wanna end up on the "Standby-List", as it would be with the current Classics release. And it could be like this since I'd think that Morgan would be rather popular and maybe sells out quickly.
Another thought was to join Classic now with a month-by-month subscription, get one record now (there's 2 records in stock right now that would be interessting to me, however I'm not sure yet if those are 50$-interessting), and the Lee Morgan next month, and then cancel again.

What would you guys do if you just need to have that one record?
I’d find a friendly local forum member with a spare sub and ask them if they would try to pick up a copy for me.

Did anyone have issues with Abbey Lincoln? The first side of my copy has a really offputting surface noise with the occasional louder pop. I have properly cleaned it but it's almost like a light static noise.

Did anyone have issues with Abbey Lincoln? The first side of my copy has a really offputting surface noise with the occasional louder pop. I have properly cleaned it but it's almost like a light static noise.
Actually on my second copy of Abbey Lincoln, about to ask for a third I think. I have cyclical surface noise on B1 on both copies, weeeee. Would be curious to hear what your surface noise sounds like!

Actually on my second copy of Abbey Lincoln, about to ask for a third I think. I have cyclical surface noise on B1 on both copies, weeeee. Would be curious to hear what your surface noise sounds like!
Yeah I actually wrote on here just before I flipped and the sound issue is on the b-side as well. I'm going to have to send a message to CS for a replacement, it's just too offputting. Surface noise is the best way to describe it, a fuzziness that appears at random times with the occasional louder pop/tick. Because of the subtleties in the music I think its more offputting than if it was a more loud release.

My first copy was like that. Constant surface noise with a loud pop once per side.

My second copy is MUCH a better, but not perfect. Gonna give it a clean but if it’s not better I’m going to ask for another copy. It’s such a quiet album that the surface noise is absolutely a deal breaker.

I have no pops. There is a very fuzzy sound on the brass on one track for me. Can't remember which. I'm positive its a reed effect from the player on the original though.

Back