Vinyl Me Please Classics

Not sure who's fault this is since the original release of Abbey Lincoln - It's Magic is also in error. "Love" is track B3, and "Exactly Like You" is track B4. It is listed incorrectly on the label and the jacket.

Anyone have issues with surface noise on their copy of It’s Magic? Mine has frequent pops through the first two songs on the A side.

Hopefully a good cleaning resolves it. I’m just surprised, I don’t think I’ve ever had surface noise issues with any of their Classics.

Anyone have issues with surface noise on their copy of It’s Magic? Mine has frequent pops through the first two songs on the A side.

Hopefully a good cleaning resolves it. I’m just surprised, I don’t think I’ve ever had surface noise issues with any of their Classics.
I have a skip on side b and some very very light surface noise throughout. Going to thoroughly clean it today and spin it again and ask for a replacement if it still persists.

Outside of a noisy Mamas Gun this is the first real problem I've had with a VMP pressing. I thought classics were at least always pristine.

One thing I did notice is some very fine fibers all over the record which is likely the source of the issue, but only one way to find out.

Last edited:
I have a skip on side b and some very very light surface noise throughout. Going to thoroughly clean it today and spin it again and ask for a replacement if it still persists.

Outside of a noisy Mamas Gun this is the first real problem I've had with a VMP pressing. I thought classics were at least always pristine.

One thing I did notice is some very fine fibers all over the record which is likely the source of the issue, but only one way to find out.
Yeah, this is definitely outside the norm for their Classics reissues. I’ll do the same today and report back.

Yeah, this is definitely outside the norm for their Classics reissues. I’ll do the same today and report back.
I thought if there was going to be an issue with this months shipment it would be the Luda, but it looks and plays great. Again, could just need a good cleaning, but if it's an issue with the record itself definitely disappointing for classics.

Just for the record my copy is great, but there is a fuzzy noise on one of the B side tracks. It took me a second to realize this was an acoustical sound from the Brass instrument player. MUCH more texture than normal so it took me by surprise. It's definitely in the recording if you come a across it.

How good is this Lee Morgan Take Twelve album? I love Lee Morgan - for me Cornbread, Sidewinder, and Search for a New Land are near perfect jazz albums - but after a couple listens Take Twelve feels like a strong, but lesser album in his catalogue (which fits VMP's MO).

I'm trying to decide between a re-upping with a 1 month sub just to pick up Dolly or a 3 month and getting Dolly, Lee Morgan, and ??, and space is now at a premium in my record collection.

Anyone want to sell me on it?

How good is this Lee Morgan Take Twelve album? I love Lee Morgan - for me Cornbread, Sidewinder, and Search for a New Land are near perfect jazz albums - but after a couple listens Take Twelve feels like a strong, but lesser album in his catalogue (which fits VMP's MO).

I'm trying to decide between a re-upping with a 1 month sub just to pick up Dolly or a 3 month and getting Dolly, Lee Morgan, and ??, and space is now at a premium in my record collection.

@Selaws ?

You’re not interested in the next month’s Classics ROTM - Bill Withers’ +justments!?! 🥺

I can’t speak for the upcoming Lee Morgan Classics ROTM, but I can definitely sell you on +justments! I think +justments is rich in its poetic wisdom yet has a youthful charming energy to it! The strings, piano and overall musical arrangements are tight and the overall production is warm, gentle, delicate and atmospheric! It’s such a comforting, humble album and I think you should definitely grab the ROTM! It’s a masterpiece; my favourite Classics ROTM of 2021 so far! Yes, that’s right, I like this album even more than the romantic, luxurious, erotic and sensual Musical Massage ROTM!

Last edited:

Also, you’re a teacher so you have to get +justments!!! ✍️💭📚

You’re not interested in the next month’s Classics ROTM - Bill Withers’ +justments!?! 🥺

I can’t speak for the upcoming Lee Morgan Classics ROTM, but I can definitely sell you on +justments, which is a record that I flcsn sell you on! I feel +justments is rich in its poetic wisdom yet has a youthful charming energy to it! The strings, piano and overall musical arrangements are tight and the overall production is warm, gentle, delicate and atmospheric! It’s such a comforting, humble album and I think you should definitely grab the ROTM! It’s a masterpiece; my favourite Classics ROTM of 2021 so far! Yes, that’s right, I like this album even more than the romantic, luxurious, erotic and sensual Musical Massage ROTM!

As always, I love your enthusiasm and overuse of adjectives @NathanRicaud

I am also on the fence on +justments, for many of the same reasons as I am about Take Twelve. I love Bill Withers, but I already have Just As I Am and Still Bill. I'm not sure I need this one. I agree that musically it's an excellent album, but none of the songs connect for me. I appreciate Withers because lyrically he can express the concerns of the everyman. On +justments he focuses on his disillusionment with his collapsing marriage, which - thankfully - I can't relate to.

I think background info is important with this one.

The time that the album was recorded was an interesting one for Lee Morgan. By this point, he had left the Jazz Messengers to form his own group but in reality was forced out due to his drug problems (which ironically only came about after Art Blakey introduced him to it). There was a lull period at the beginning of the 60's which was so quiet that Morgan once heard a radio show being dedicated to him because the presenter had assumed he had died. When he finally signed to Jazzland it was for a 2 contract deal (although he only ever recorded 1) and Take Twelve was the result.

Because of this lull period brought on from issues with his hindered performances, I think most people would have assumed the session would be sub-par. In reality, it mainly consists of his original compositions (with Clifford Jordan providing another and a standard from Elmo Hope finishing it) and is generally a really energetic session. He was still at the stage where he relied a lot on powerful solo's but begins to touch upon using space a bit with more subtle trumpet work (Live at the Lighthouse has good examples of this). In fact, Downbeat reviews were interesting at the time because the critic had seen Morgan live shortly before the album was released. The critic stated that the album was good but would have benefitted from the more subtle approach that he took during his live gig. In reality, the Take Twelve session was recorded almost a year before so what he was actually reviewing was an earlier iteration of Morgan's musical progression. Goes to show why some reviews cant always be trusted.

Anyway, as interesting as all of this might be (to me anyway) at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference really. I would suggest that if you have listened to the album a few times without it really standing out, and with limited shelf space available, that it might be worth passing on. Or alternatively, you could just get it and re-sell if it never clicks. I might be biased but I imagine this will be a release that will be really well received as long as the pressing is decent so the resale opportunities might be there.

I think background info is important with this one.

The time that the album was recorded was an interesting one for Lee Morgan. By this point, he had left the Jazz Messengers to form his own group but in reality was forced out due to his drug problems (which ironically only came about after Art Blakey introduced him to it). There was a lull period at the beginning of the 60's which was so quiet that Morgan once heard a radio show being dedicated to him because the presenter had assumed he had died. When he finally signed to Jazzland it was for a 2 contract deal (although he only ever recorded 1) and Take Twelve was the result.

Because of this lull period brought on from issues with his hindered performances, I think most people would have assumed the session would be sub-par. In reality, it mainly consists of his original compositions (with Clifford Jordan providing another and a standard from Elmo Hope finishing it) and is generally a really energetic session. He was still at the stage where he relied a lot on powerful solo's but begins to touch upon using space a bit with more subtle trumpet work (Live at the Lighthouse has good examples of this). In fact, Downbeat reviews were interesting at the time because the critic had seen Morgan live shortly before the album was released. The critic stated that the album was good but would have benefitted from the more subtle approach that he took during his live gig. In reality, the Take Twelve session was recorded almost a year before so what he was actually reviewing was an earlier iteration of Morgan's musical progression. Goes to show why some reviews cant always be trusted.

Anyway, as interesting as all of this might be (to me anyway) at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference really. I would suggest that if you have listened to the album a few times without it really standing out, and with limited shelf space available, that it might be worth passing on. Or alternatively, you could just get it and re-sell if it never clicks. I might be biased but I imagine this will be a release that will be really well received as long as the pressing is decent so the resale opportunities might be there.

Love this. Thanks @Selaws ! They should have you writing the Listening Notes booklets.

Think I’m also out on Bill Withers next month, I own the Carnegie Hall performance and have the MoFi greatest hits on back order. Justments feels a bit boring tbh, Ruby Lee is a stand out to me, mainly cause that’s a great bassline tho

Back