Vinyl Me Please Classics

Maybe we are getting a CTI album? 1970 was a good year for them. Stanley T’s Sugar and Freddie Hubbard’s Red Clay are classics and two of the best CTI albums. Both released in 1970. Another I can think of, Charles Earland- Black Talk! (Prestige title and a real funky album).
I was looking for records in a Discog's seller's inventory to get a better deal on shipping and picked up a 1972 reissue of Stanley Turrentines's "Sugar" for less than $7, and was pleasantly surprised. Also features George Benson, Freddie Hubbard and Ron Carter. That would be a solid pick. My copy sounds fine but could probably sound better and the jacket is pretty cheap and flimsy.

I was looking for records in a Discog's seller's inventory to get a better deal on shipping and picked up a 1972 reissue of Stanley Turrentines's "Sugar" for less than $7, and was pleasantly surprised. Also features George Benson, Freddie Hubbard and Ron Carter. That would be a solid pick. My copy sounds fine but could probably sound better and the jacket is pretty cheap and flimsy.
Yeah I gave my copy to a friend but it’s pretty cheap to pick up original copies. Van Gelder cut and it sounds pretty good but a Ryan Smith AAA would probably be slightly better.

storf.PNG

Storf's probably not looking here, so it might be worth comparing and contrasting the guesses we've come up with compared to what's been batted about on Reddit and Twitter.

View attachment 92268

Storf's probably not looking here, so it might be worth comparing and contrasting the guesses we've come up with compared to what's been batted about on Reddit and Twitter.

I asked Storf on Twitter about the my guesses and I got "Nope"s for the Blues and Soul-Jazz guesses, so back to the drawing board for Blues and Soul-Jazz. BUT no response about the King Curtis guess, so I'll take that as the front runner for May until we get another clue that DQs it.

King Curtis would be awesome. Here’s hoping! 🤞
Yeah, I'd be @NathanRicaud level excited for King Curtis.

Also, I thought they were unlikely, I got this about the Blues-Rock guesses:
"And fwiw I'd never do a Rock record like you've outlined here in Classics, even if everyone always guesses Captain Beefheart records lol",

Yeah, I'd be @NathanRicaud level excited for King Curtis.

Also, I thought they were unlikely, I got this about the Blues-Rock guesses:
"And fwiw I'd never do a Rock record like you've outlined here in Classics, even if everyone always guesses Captain Beefheart records lol",
I would LOVE King Curtis as well! All be extremely hyped up if King Curtis gets the Classics audiophile treatment! 😁😇😍

The fact that Craft has an in print title and would have to license it to VMP does clearly rule it out I think
Of course it does. First, Craft would not license a product it is still selling and in print. Second, if VMP did it, it would be an outrage to all those subscribers who already have it. No gain for anyone.

And they have done it with the William Bell, Al Green, and Donny Hathaway releases as well. In the case of the William Bell record, the Speakers Corner version was even objectively superior.
Speakers Corner is a European label, so their rights don't interfere with VMP doing one of their titles, since VMP is a US "label." Its different than doing an in print, American pressing.

Back