Vinyl Me Please Classics

Honestly I'm very happy with Tough Guys. It sounds great and we weren't gonna get Shaft or Black Moses or Hot Buttered Soul in VMP Classics anyway. But yeah, the fact that it's part of this weak 3 month stretch is pretty unexciting. Hopefully we get a big time title or two this spring.
Agreed. I don't think Leon Ware is a bad Classics pick, but when it's the standout of a 3 month run, that tells you there are issues.

To me, the designation of "Classics" is just that - a record that everyone should hear and certainly, for the media pack rats like I would imagine most are here, they are must owns for repeat plays. For sure, this is applicable to a lot of their past releases but as for the recent titles, I would say that this is very disappointing. Let's hope they get back on track for the April-December run or else I have to say that $450 (my cost including tax) makes this cost prohibitive no matter how much of the non-record of the month records I buy with credits.

Honestly I'm very happy with Tough Guys. It sounds great and we weren't gonna get Shaft or Black Moses or Hot Buttered Soul in VMP Classics anyway. But yeah, the fact that it's part of this weak 3 month stretch is pretty unexciting. Hopefully we get a big time title or two this spring.

Seems to me they are increasingly trying to pick more obscure "crate-digger" titles. I'd rather them do those as exclusives and just give me the heat in Classics.
I feel like a lot of the time they have been picking Classic artists but not Classic titles.

I'm not overly familiar with Issac Hayes, but even I know that Shaft, Hot Buttered Soul and Black Moses would be what most people would consider Classic Hayes picks.

I feel like a lot of the time they have been picking Classic artists but not Classic titles.

I'm not overly familiar with Issac Hayes, but even I know that Shaft, Hot Buttered Soul and Black Moses would be what most people would consider Classic Hayes picks.
I feel like picking his 4th or 5th best album would have been perfectly fine. They didn't even do that.

Finally got around to spinning Tough Guys. It’s... fine.

I think Hayes is a very talented composer and arranger and it’s a pretty enjoyable listen. Plus the pressing sounds very good. I’ll enjoy spinning it every now and then, but I could’ve lived without it in all honesty. Especially since I recently picked up a copy of Shaft (which is way better).

This really is the weakest 3 month period for Classics...
I haven't picked up classics since Hawk. It's my primary track.

Agreed. I don't think Leon Ware is a bad Classics pick, but when it's the standout of a 3 month run, that tells you there are issues.
I think Leon Ware’s Musical Massage is actually the best Classics pick since Gabor Szabo’s Dreams! I think Musical Massage is an exquisite, luxurious, intoxicating, sensual album and I’ll be doing a detailed review for why I think everyone should pick it up! I want that ROTM to sell well so I’m going to be encouraging everyone on Reddit to pick it up! It might even be my favourite Classics ROTM pick of all-time! Leon Ware isn’t an OK pick, it’s a glorious pick! 🏆

I think Leon Ware’s Musical Massage is actually the best Classics pick since Gabor Szabo’s Dreams! I think Musical Massage is an exquisite, luxurious, intoxicating, sensual album and I’ll be doing a detailed review for why I think everyone should pick it up! I want that ROTM to sell well so I’m going to be encouraging everyone on Reddit to pick it up! It might even be my favourite Classics ROTM pick of all-time! Leon Ware isn’t an OK pick, it’s a glorious pick! 🏆
* This prattling post sponsored by VMP.

Aight, shoot straight with us. Is VMP paying you to advertise at this point? Not being snarky, genuinely curious cause I feel like your push for albums to sell out have been more overt lately.

I don't get it myself. I streamed it and found it an uber cheese fest. Honestly, I'd never spin it. Fair play to those who are fans but if I want to listen to Marvin Gaye I'd just stick on Marvin Gaye rather than a really, really obvious and massively inferior pastiche.

Sorry man as I know you really dig it but it's not for me. I'm kinda relieved I tried before I, erm, buyed

Yeah, I'm with @Rowan and @Ghost here. Not feeling it. Out of the three month stretch I MAY pick up Issac Hayes if there's nothing in April in any track (and it's still in stock) but it's been one "meh" followed by two duds. Dreams was a fantastic album, Musical Massage isn't even in the same ballpark as far as classics picks go, and no amount of VMP FOMO pushing is going to make me want to give it another shot.

Im getting Leon Ware’s Musical Massage because it's unlike anything I currently have and thought I would give it a go. I listened to the first few minutes the other day and it really did seems......I think 'sickly' is a good way to describe it? Maybe I will regret it but worth a shot and hopefully its one that I will enjoy.

Im getting Leon Ware’s Musical Massage because it's unlike anything I currently have and thought I would give it a go. I listened to the first few minutes the other day and it really did seems......I think 'sickly' is a good way to describe it? Maybe I will regret it but worth a shot and hopefully its one that I will enjoy.
I actually think sickly is a decent shot. I mean... its very much of its time and I kinda enjoyed reading up on the history. In fact I enjoyed reading about it considerably more than listening to it. A bit of me thinks that the regard its held in is more down to the fact he was so involved in I Want You than because this is a killer album in its own right.

I get why it's famous. I just didn't feel it. Erotic soul, as it turns out, isn't my bag

I actually think sickly is a decent shot. I mean... its very much of its time and I kinda enjoyed reading up on the history. In fact I enjoyed reading about it considerably more than listening to it. A bit of me thinks that the regard its held in is more down to the fact he was so involved in I Want You than because this is a killer album in its own right.

I get why it's famous. I just didn't feel it. Erotic soul, as it turns out, isn't my bag
Spoken like someone who has never taken a bath in a suit.

It is a little... syrupy.

One song is driving me nuts - the opening 20 seconds of Body Heat. I feel like some other act ripped that off completely. Maybe in the 90s. It’s on the tip of the tongue. Then I lose it! Can any of you help?

Aight, shoot straight with us. Is VMP paying you to advertise at this point? Not being snarky, genuinely curious cause I feel like your push for albums to sell out have been more overt lately.
No, VMP isn’t paying or giving me any extra free stuff at all! I just really want this album to do well because I feel like it would encourage VMP to do more sexy soulful Classics ROTM’s, like Minnie Riperton’s Adventures In Paradise and Marvin Gaye’s I Want You!

And I want AAA, Ryan Smith / Kevin Gray pressings to sell out quick, so then it encourages VMP to do more audiophile exclusives!

Back