Vinyl Me Please Classics

You may have mentioned this in another life/forum, but why is Carla ranked so low for you?

I'm not sure. It's good for what it is, that style of soul just doesn't connect for me. I pull it out every couple months hoping I will change my mind, but so far it has not. I can appreciate others who think it is great though.

I'm not sure. It's good for what it is, that style of soul just doesn't connect for me. I pull it out every couple months hoping I will change my mind, but so far it has not. I can appreciate others who think it is great though.

I feel pretty much the same way about it. Glad I have it, but doesn't get a lot of spins unless I'm in a particular mood or I get curious if it's grown on me at all.

I already know this opinion isn't welcome, after getting virtually yelled at a few years ago when I argued against the idea of VMP doing any Christmas exclusives/having a Christmas-focused December store, but... I'll be Incredibly disappointed if that's the artist & album. I'm well-aware of her being an early influence on R&R, and if she'd ever done an album of just blues, I'd be more okay with that.

I'm a Classics completionist, and have all of them to this point, but I really have no use/interest for any gospel. While I'm more accepting of instrumental Classical music that goes in this direction (e.g., *not* Handel's Messiah), I really, don't want any overt Christian music. They're already the dominant religion & dominate politics to an unwelcome degree. They can fuck right off getting exposure this way, too.

I mean, because this is obviously a VMP/Christian conspiracy to convert people.

I already know this opinion isn't welcome, after getting virtually yelled at a few years ago when I argued against the idea of VMP doing any Christmas exclusives/having a Christmas-focused December store, but... I'll be Incredibly disappointed if that's the artist & album. I'm well-aware of her being an early influence on R&R, and if she'd ever done an album of just blues, I'd be more okay with that.

I'm a Classics completionist, and have all of them to this point, but I really have no use/interest for any gospel. While I'm more accepting of instrumental Classical music that goes in this direction (e.g., *not* Handel's Messiah), I really, don't want any overt Christian music. They're already the dominant religion & dominate politics to an unwelcome degree. They can fuck right off getting exposure this way, too.

I mean, I'm not a Christian. And I certainly despise the hold that Christianity has on society and politics *cough*Alabama*cough* but I genuinely enjoy Christian music. If it's not overtly religious, then it's uplifting, soulful and positive. Hell, the Mavis store exclusive is gospel, and I loved that one. So I mean, do what you want man, but Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a big get for Classics, and very important in music history.

Just to close a loop from the previous forum, @zombie.modernist I cleaned my stylus and spun Al Green again. It sounds amazing now. And I mean amazing. I'm guessing I need to reassess my cleaning regime, probably by agitating with a brush after the enzyme has sat for a minute.

But back to Al, just straight fire there.

Yeah I think a lot of folks like to do a final rinse stage after the enzyme for that reason. I used to use an enzyme cleaner at one point before I had a vac machine and I got residue / gunk on stylus frequently. This was mostly due to the ineffectiveness of wipe cleaning, but I found that a rinse with distilled water always helped mitigate this issue.

That said, I’ve since moved to a one-step cleaner with the RCM which I find to be pretty efficient, especially for a new record. The enzyme cleaners are great for used buys but can be overkill with new records IMO. Obviously like religion or politics everyone has a different POV on record cleaning, so YMMV!

Yeah I think a lot of folks like to do a final rinse stage after the enzyme for that reason. I used to use an enzyme cleaner at one point before I had a vac machine and I got residue / gunk on stylus frequently. This was mostly due to the ineffectiveness of wipe cleaning, but I found that a rinse with distilled water always helped mitigate this issue.

That said, I’ve since moved to a one-step cleaner with the RCM which I find to be pretty efficient, especially for a new record. The enzyme cleaners are great for used buys but can be overkill with new records IMO. Obviously like religion or politics everyone has a different POV on record cleaning, so YMMV!
Yea, you might be right, I may need to add a rinse step. Thanks for all the help!

Religion has its issues obviously but it has also played a huge part in art. If you really want to delve into the evolution of music you got to learn to, if not appreciate its religious roots, understand it. Music has a storied past.

The Robert Johnson documentary on Netflix touched on this and caused me to think about this differently than I had before. Back in the day having a connotation with 'the devil' or 'hoodoo' was very much against the grain of society, and the gospel association with music was developed as a part reaction to people that were going to see 'hoodoo' blues music in juke joints. The documentary is only an hour and well done to cover the myth of Robert Johnson and help explain how his Crossroads meeting with the devil might have come to be.

Do others prefer media mail more? This last time it took me a bit longer to get my package which is usually my experience with USPS. Mostly because I live in a city and the sorting takes a day and a half, so even with two daily deliveries it’s still slower than in the burbs.

Back