Vinyl Me Please Classics

Mary Lou Williams - Solo Recital (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival '78)

- Solo piano
- Came out in 1979 (Williams died in 1981)

I think this is a likely one, good guess. I noticed that the next year, Pablo starting putting out Montreaux albums advertising that they were digital. I wonder if this one was too but not noted, which could explain why it isn't AAA.

Worth noting that original Pablo copies go for under $10.

Not super unknown by any stretch but Elmo Hope’s Sounds From Rikers Island fits if I’m not mistaken. Definitely a classic album.
Man...I’d love for it to be this one. I think he’s lesser known to the point where I wouldn’t consider him a household name. My local store had a really nice OG pressing of this but it was too expensive for me to pick up at the time.

Man...I’d love for it to be this one. I think he’s lesser known to the point where I wouldn’t consider him a household name. My local store had a really nice OG pressing of this but it was too expensive for me to pick up at the time.
Yeah the album has been on my Discogs wantlist for years. I never come across originals either.

What was wrong with your Caribou(s)?
I've gone through 3 copies now that all have repetitive popping on the final track of Side A. No scratches visible on any of the 3 so it appears to be a production line issue, Marshall had the same issue with his first copy, but his second one was fine. Popping comes in about midway through the track in all cases.

Maybe something by Art Tatum? The discography leading up to his death seems like a mess though, so no idea about what album fits.
Art Tatums last recording session was for 'The Art Tatum & Ben Webster Quartet'. Its a pretty easy record to find so hopefully its not this.

I doubt it would ever happen but it would be fantastic to see Jutta Hipp chosen at some point. She was a complete underdog, shunned by her peers and bullied into exile. She wasn't even aware of how important and sought after her music was until just before her death when a representative from Blue Note hunted her down to give her a royalty cheque.

Art Tatums last recording session was for 'The Art Tatum & Ben Webster Quartet'. Its a pretty easy record to find so hopefully its not this.

I doubt it would ever happen but it would be fantastic to see Jutta Hipp chosen at some point. She was a complete underdog, shunned by her peers and bullied into exile. She wasn't even aware of how important and sought after her music was until just before her death when a representative from Blue Note hunted her down to give her a royalty cheque.

I've read about Jutta Hipp's life a lot as I'm a fan. Was she really shunned by her peers? Who shunned her? Other than Art Blakey being rude to her on a bandstand one night and her playing style being compared to Horace Silver, did anything else happen? I'm genuinely asking. Blakey was out of line that night no doubt, but the Silver comparison is true. She shifted her entire playing style because of Silver. He was an artistic influence. Everything I've read on her life shows that she was well liked and regarded.

Jutta's main issues seemed to be severe stage fright, alcoholism, clinical depression, undiagnosed PTSD from WWII (she went through a lot), and the fact that she did not want to be a bandleader.

Katja von Schuttenbach is a German jazz historian. Her insights on Jutta's life and what happened to her are a great read.

Back