Vinyl Me Please Classics

I've read about Jutta Hipp's life a lot as I'm a fan. Was she really shunned by her peers? Who shunned her? Other than Art Blakey being rude to her on a bandstand one night and her playing style being compared to Horace Silver, did anything else happen? I'm genuinely asking. Blakey was out of line that night no doubt, but the Silver comparison is true. She shifted her entire playing style because of Silver. He was an artistic influence. Everything I've read on her life shows that she was well liked and regarded.

Jutta's main issues seemed to be severe stage fright, alcoholism, clinical depression, undiagnosed PTSD from WWII (she went through a lot), and the fact that she did not want to be a bandleader.

Katja von Schuttenbach is a German jazz historian. Her insights on Jutta's life and what happened to her are a great read.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Her nervousness meant that any small comment (and let's face it, the Blakey confrontation was by no means small) affected her greatly.

I've read quite a bit on Hipp and from memory I believe it's Leonard Feather's Jazz Years which had a decent chunk of info and stories regarding her. Essentially her being German in post-war America meant certain prejudices were put her way. This was the main 'issue' Blakey had with her and I have certainly read that others shared his view, that she was 'taking their jobs'. On top of that she was a woman in a male-dominated profession (she earned the title of Europes "First Lady of Jazz"). Beryl Booker was playing around the same time and said she had to force and barge her way into being able to play (something which Hipp's shyness wouldn't have allowed for).

Supposedly the straw that broke the camels back was when she declined Feather's offer to play his compositions. I believe he was married at the time but constantly pushed sexual advances towards Hipp. Both rejections from Hipp made their relationship sour and she parted ways with him. I just found a great quote online from her where she talks about disliking playing at places where more established musicians play, stating - “I don’t go to those places [where the well-known musicians play]. I go to those little unknown places, where the musicians love to play.".

Thank god for the likes of Horace Silver though. She met him after idolising him for years and he was really nice towards her.

What was the first clue again?

Current Month's Guess Thread: May

Front Runner: ??

Hint 0: Not All Analog
Hint 1: Jazz, 1 ("...it has to do something with the album cover."
Hint 2: Last new LP released during the artist's life
Hint 3: It's a semi-known artist, and a lesser-known album, recommended to me by a jazz writing legend. Piano.
Hint 3a: Women in RHH and Essentials, a dude in Classics
Hint 4: 1974

Storf Context: "I think 2, maybe 3 of the first 4 in 2020 could all claim the title as "the biggest Classics release yet" and then the next 3-4 are a bit more smaller scale."

Just came to say Duke Ellington - The Pianist.

BUT, then we weren't wrong about what the 1 meant and calling Ellington semi-known would be insane.
Am I correct in thinking it’s a piano solo album?

Am I correct in thinking it’s a piano solo album?
The Pianist? No, a trio, but maybe that's what he meant we were wrong about? We had several guesses with full bands though, maybe they didn't on reddit. There is only one person pictured on the cover and only one artist credited on the front cover. Not positive about last released before he died.

Really hard to pin down last Duke album released. I think the Pianist was released in June or later, as the notes say it was remixed June 1974. He died in May. Duke's Big 4 could be earlier but I can't find any month info. Don't see how it could fit the 1 clue though.

Back