Vinyl Me Please Classics

Nothing for me yet either but not surprised because Im always BOTS.

just extra sucks this month since everything media mail is getting stuck in Jersey City for over a week (so far).At this point Im not expecting my records for weeks still and just hoping nothing shows up damaged.

Me thinks VMP thinks the Easter Bunny might be in charge of shipping notices this month.

No email, nothing on their account page, but due to USPS informed delivery I now know I have something coming Monday or Tuesday. :unsure:

Last edited:
Maybe something by Art Tatum? The discography leading up to his death seems like a mess though, so no idea about what album fits.

Interesting. I wouldn't want Tatum because his discography is so large and it's relatively easy to acquire his records. My other thoughts based on this vague clue: Abdullah Ibrahim, aka Dollar Brand? Or one of the amazing, hard-to-get Prestige Mal Waldron LPs? Or one of the less famous Andrew Hill Blue Note albums -- a great composer as well as pianist.

Maybe something by Art Tatum? The discography leading up to his death seems like a mess though, so no idea about what album fits.
I’d be down for an Art Tatum album, though it’s hard to know what Storf means by “semi-known”. Like semi-known to someone who doesn’t know jazz? Because Art Tatum is usually regarded as one of the best jazz pianists ever, but I agree he is definitely lesser known when compared to someone like Herbie Hancock or Monk or something.

Interesting. I wouldn't want Tatum because his discography is so large and it's relatively easy to acquire his records. My other thoughts based on this vague clue: Abdullah Ibrahim, aka Dollar Brand? Or one of the amazing, hard-to-get Prestige Mal Waldron LPs? Or one of the less famous Andrew Hill Blue Note albums -- a great composer as well as pianist.
Thankfully Abdullah Ibrahim is still alive. Maybe his album from last year could fit, but it wouldn't fit the solo piano, if that's what the 1 means. Also, whoa, TIL he is Jean Grae's dad.

Mary Lou Williams - Solo Recital (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival '78)

- Solo piano
- Came out in 1979 (Williams died in 1981)

I would love it if the choice was Mary Lou Williams. She has some incredible yet obscure albums from early in her career as well as some interesting releases on her own "Mary Records" label from the mid-1970s that are amazing combination of jazz. funk, and church music.

Back