Vinyl Me Please Classics

Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse?
I highly doubt it's gonna be a Blue Note album like Morgan since I'm pretty sure those are all in tact, at least tapes from that era. It's probably something where the tapes are missing or are in bad shape.
I actually bought a cheapo Lee Morgan record a while ago which was a live recording but had very little information behind it. I ended up digging and found out it was a live session recorded the week before his Lighthouse session. Really great record, a fraction of the price of Lighthouse, and super interesting to hear him prep.

I will see if I can find the info I shared on the jazz forum.

Hey team. A few of you will be aware that for a while now I have been posting an album a day on my instagram account and giving it a bit of a write up, looking at the history of it and its reception etc. Its been really enjoyable and theres been a few instances where my reading up on an album has led me into a rabbit hole. I usually write these things on the train journey home but last night I was sucked in one of these rabbit holes and found something pretty cool which may interest some of you.

So, the album in question is Lee Morgan - All That Jazz. Its a 1975 live album with very little info readily available. The liner notes in the gatefold talks about Morgan and his work but is generalized and doesn't actually mention the album, other than it being a recorded live session. Well, after digging I found out that it was recorded in San Francisco at the 'Both / And Club', in the summer of June 1970. The importance of this date is that shortly after this session Morgan traveled down to Hermosa Beach to play at the Lighthouse club, the recording of which would be released as 'Live At The Lighthouse'. Plus, his gig at the Both / And club was recorded professionally for FM radio, and was played in full over the remainder of the summer, meaning this is better quality than a bootlegged/amateur recording. It was also reissued on CD in 2015 (looks to be a dodgy label though as its blocked) - Lee Morgan ‎– Both / And Club, San Francisco, June 1970

The album has a fair bit of crowd cheering towards the beginning and the end of tracks, and is a really lively set. The best bit is that this album cost me just £3, and the discogs average is £5. Compared to the £42 average for the Lighthouse album, this is well worth looking for.
Heres what I found on the Lee Morgan Lighthouse warm up recording for those that are interested.

storf said Coltrane is still eligible but not Miles. I’m skeptical it’ll be Coltrane this time though
That's what had me thinking about Coltrane. I'm curious as to what Coltrane album would be a Classics type pick since I know they would try to avoid the larger ones.

That's what had me thinking about Coltrane. I'm curious as to what Coltrane album would be a Classics type pick since I know they would try to avoid the larger ones.

Yeah could be. It'll be interesting if they do some free jazz like later Coltrane or even that Mingus album for Classics. The Dolphy seems like the most accessible one. Are any of these guesses technically the last new LP released during these artists' lifetimes? Wasn't Kulu Sé Mama Coltrane's last release of his lifetime?

Last edited:
Yeah could be. It'll be interesting if they do some free jazz like later Coltrane or even that Mingus album for Classics. The Dolphy seems like the most accessible one. Are any of these guesses technically the last new LP released during these artists' lifetimes? Wasn't Kulu Sé Mama Coltrane's last release of his lifetime?
I think it was the last album released, but it was recorded in 1965, well before Meditations. Would depend on how you defined "last album."

I think it was the last album released, but it was recorded in 1965, well before Meditations. Would depend on how you defined "last album."

I know a lot of storf clues you can pull directly from wikipedia articles haha. On the wikipedia page I just looked at it says "Kulu Sé Mama was the last album released during Coltrane's lifetime'

Good guess on reddit was The New Tristano

That would fit Storf's comment (from way back) that, "I think 2, maybe 3 of the first 4 in 2020 could all claim the title as "the biggest Classics release yet" and then the next 3-4 are a bit more smaller scale."

If Aretha and Otis were the biggest Classics releases yet, we are likely into the 3 or 4 smaller scale titles. Whether that means deep cuts from well known artists (a la Mr. Hands) or just lesser known artists, who can say?

That is a good guess. I think having another piano based jazz album this close to Dave Brubeck might eliminate it though. Was that his last album released in his life though? Might be a good choice in the future though.
I think it is his last non-compilatiom, non-archival release before his death. Or am I missing something?

No idea haha! I’ve only heard of that album but am not really familiar with his other work.
Same. I did a little digging and it seems like there is a lot of archival stuff that was recorded between that album and his death, but I haven't found any that was new material. The only archival one released between was Descent Into The Maelstrom, but it was a 1976 Japan only compilation of stuff ranging from 1952 - 1966. It was put out in the US in 1978, which could have been before his death, but seems like a weird one to count. Oh and another Japan only comp of two dates in the 40s A Guiding Light of the Forties in 1973.

Last edited:
That is a good guess. I think having another piano based jazz album this close to Dave Brubeck might eliminate it though. Was that his last album released in his life though? Might be a good choice in the future though.

It's really not much like Brubeck considering it's just piano and not a full band. Plus Brubeck was 6 months before the May 2020 releases, which isn't that close.

See above if you don't have me blocked 😆

I saw a lot of words and my eyes just glazed over it. o_O

I dunno, argument feels kind of weak, but I'd be happy if it did turn out to be this. Probably gonna need another one or two clues to really narrow down any frontrunners, unlike RHH which I think is a lock for Salt 'n Pepper.

I saw a lot of words and my eyes just glazed over it. o_O

I dunno, argument feels kind of weak, but I'd be happy if it did turn out to be this. Probably gonna need another one or two clues to really narrow down any frontrunners, unlike RHH which I think is a lock for Salt 'n Pepper.
You think we should count compilations of archival material? Or do you just mean you don't think we can say we have a front runner? I agree with that. I've never heard of Tristano, just was interested to see if it fits.

I think The New Tristano would count as the last new LP released during his lifetime, if you consider the compilation stuff as not a new LP.
I looked up the write up in the Penguin Guide to Jazz on this one and it starts off with "[The New Tristano] is an essential album" so that is promising. Everything I see about this says it's one of the greatest solo piano albums ever made. One review calls it "the greatest solo jazz piano album bar none."

You think we should count compilations of archival material? Or do you just mean you don't think we can say we have a front runner? I agree with that. I've never heard of Tristano, just was interested to see if it fits.

Yeah just no solid front runner. But I will say it’s an intriguing guess and would be down if it ultimately was the pick.

Back