Vinyl Me Please Classics

Ah, whoever added that to Discogs failed. I'll fix it. Thanks.

Why? Storf already said he doesn't count box sets as reissues when @TCell asked about Otis reissues.

Edit: Ah, I'll admit that the fact it is still not out yet and VMP has been working closely with Craft decreases the chances.

Craft is putting out a Staples Box set in February that includes Soul Folk in Action I think that eliminates that.
I think the Rhino, Chris Bellman cut of Lady Soul that came out last year probably eliminates that one as well, or makes it very unlikely at least compared to the other two Arethas from '68.
I can't speak for Storf, but personally I think it's a little bit of a stretch to call 'Nuff Said a soul album. I wouldn't eliminate it though.

I think Aretha is most likely. I have the Chris Bellman reissue of Lady Soul, so I hope it's Aretha Now, but I Never Loved A Man... had a recent reissue and everyone was happy when that was RotM, so...

What about:

Isaac Hayes - ...To Be Continued
Maybe make up for skipping him on the Stax Anthology?

Yeah, Isaac Hayes would definitely fit "the biggest Classics release yet" hyperbole from Storf.

So upcoming, we've got:
C33 (Feb) - 1968, Former Essentials, Soul album
C34 (March) - 1982, Not AAA, "Crate-diggery"
C35 (April) - Stax Me, Please

I think Aretha is most likely. I have the Chris Bellman reissue of Lady Soul, so I hope it's Aretha Now, but I Never Loved A Man... had a recent reissue and everyone was happy when that was RotM, so...

Yeah, though I will say it’s a different case with the I Never Loved A Man reissue because Essentials are colored variants with other extras, not just another black vinyl reissue.

Yeah, Isaac Hayes would definitely fit "the biggest Classics release yet" hyperbole from Storf.

So upcoming, we've got:
C33 (Feb) - 1968, Former Essentials, Soul album
C34 (March) - 1982, Not AAA, "Crate-diggery"
C35 (April) - Stax Me, Please

Wasn't March supposed to be the biggest ever? "Crate-diggery" means we have to turn to the likes of Now-Again and Mr. Bongo for possibilities. :unsure:

What about:

Isaac Hayes - ...To Be Continued
Maybe make up for skipping him on the Stax Anthology?

I would be cool with this, but I'm curious why you chose THIS particular Isaac Hayes album... wasn't 1968 (that was Introducing Isaac Hayes), and anything other than Hot Buttered Soul is a personal preference I think.

And if it is your personal preference, I respectfully would love The Isaac Hayes Movement, as I think his monologue on "I Stand Accused" is a masterpiece, and the six minutes that follow it are absolutely my favorite performance of him and his band on record.

I would be cool with this, but I'm curious why you chose THIS particular Isaac Hayes album... wasn't 1968 (that was Introducing Isaac Hayes), and anything other than Hot Buttered Soul is a personal preference I think.

And if it is your personal preference, I respectfully would love The Isaac Hayes Movement, as I think his monologue on "I Stand Accused" is a masterpiece, and the six minutes that follow it are absolutely my favorite performance of him and his band on record.
I was just guessing quickly based on one that hadn't been reissued recently that is generally well regarded. I actually don't have a lot of experience with Hayes outside of Hot Buttered Soul. I think The Isaac Hayes Movement is probably just as good of a guess. I'll have to listen to it!

I believe the 1968 clue was for February and I was guessing for the Stax album Storf said would be April. Lots of month jumping for guesses in here lately.

Wasn't March supposed to be the biggest ever? "Crate-diggery" means we have to turn to the likes of Now-Again and Mr. Bongo for possibilities. :unsure:

Storf's comment was: "I think 2, maybe 3 of the first 4 in 2020 could all claim the title as "the biggest Classics release yet" and then the next 3-4 are a bit more smaller scale."

If Classics goes: Jan - Herbie, Feb - Aretha, March - Now-Again, April - Isaac Hayes that would correspond with "2, maybe 3, of the first 4".

I'm pretty sure the "Crate-diggery" comment was from Reddit? I just write clues on the first page here when I see them.

Does the Immortal Otis not count here? 68 release, soul, and Atco is a Stax subsidiary? Just asking.

Stax had a distribution deal with Atlantic . ATCO was just a division of Atlantic Records. So some Stax releases would be under Stax or Volt, and some would be under the Atco or Atlantic label.

But to answer your question, Otis doesn't fit the February clue that is 1968 soul album done by an artist who has a previous VMP Essentials release.

The April ROTM we just know is Stax Records and not McLemore Avenue I think. There is confusion I know because we're guessing for three different months at once here.

Stax had a distribution deal with Atlantic . ATCO was just a division of Atlantic Records. So some Stax releases would be under Stax or Volt, and some would be under the Atco or Atlantic label.

But to answer your question, Otis doesn't fit the February clue that is 1968 soul album done by an artist who has a previous VMP Essentials release.

The April ROTM we just know is Stax Records and not McLemore Avenue I think. There is confusion I know because we're guessing for three different months at once here.
Yes. mixing clues. Thanks.

Back