Vinyl Me Please Classics

Isaac Hayes voiced Chef. Although I think the only song he has on the movie soundtrack is a song from Black Moses. Of course, Chocolate Salty Balls, from the TV show was a charting hit.
OMG, I can't believe I missed that connection lol... 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I haven't watched it regularly since the late 90s/early 00s, so obviously totally forgot that factoid.

Listen to Mr Hands for the first time, soooo smooooooth.

I'm spinning it right now.
Not disliking it, reminds me a lot of early Pat Metheny Group... I keep hoping Pat's guitar will come it.

.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAND as I am typing THAT, the slap bass on the last Side A track starts. What the hell.

I actually enjoyed the album more than I thought I would, though I hate Calypso. But it was funny reading the booklet, since it was trying to so hard to make everyone see the error in their ways in ignoring the album. Basically it was trying to say that Mr Hands is Head Hunters for the 80s.

I actually enjoyed the album more than I thought I would, though I hate Calypso. But it was funny reading the booklet, since it was trying to so hard to make everyone see the error in their ways in ignoring the album. Basically it was trying to say that Mr Hands is Head Hunters for the 80s.

I'm not sure if it was cause I was raised in the 80's but so much 80's music is terrible to me. 80's funk and 80's jazz? Forget about it. And this is not a new phenomenom either.. Hated when Stoned Throw / Now Again embraced that whole Dam Funk 80s-funk-inspired movement. That whole shit was awful but hey, some people love it.

I'm not sure if it was cause I was raised in the 80's but so much 80's music is terrible to me. 80's funk and 80's jazz? Forget about it. And this is not a new phenomenom either.. Hated when Stoned Throw / Now Again embraced that whole Dam Funk 80s-funk-inspired movement. That whole shit was awful but hey, some people love it.
What about the likes of George Clinton, Zapp, Prince and artists of that ilk. Do they do anything for ya?

What about the likes of George Clinton, Zapp, Prince and artists of that ilk. Do they do anything for ya?

George's best work was in the previous two decades. He still had some stuff in the 80s but overall? Yeah, not really a big fan.

Zapp never really did a whole lot for me but I don't think they're necessarily cheesy either.

Prince - don't really think of him as funk (I know) or jazz. Definitely an exception to my rule and I generally love all his stuff (also i think of it as more r&b/pop than funk but I understand we're splitting hairs at this point).

There’s lots of hard hitting jazz from the 80s.

Exhibit A: Wadada Leo Smith and Ed Blackwell - The Blue Mountain's Sun Drummer

Listen to the opening cut titled Uprising

There’s lots of hard hitting jazz from the 80s.

Exhibit A: Wadada Leo Smith and Ed Blackwell - The Blue Mountain's Sun Drummer

Listen to the opening cut titled Uprising

This is really good. But you know what it decidedly doesn't sound like? 80's jazz. If anything, I think this proves my point, hah.

Finally digging into this Mr Hands. The first half of Spiraling Prism reminds me of Daft Punk's Make Love or Game Of Love off Random Access Memories. Just Around The Corner has some riffs, piano, and bass lines that sound like they're off Random Access Memories like Touch and Give Life Back To Music. Holy shit, this Classics pick is right up my alley.

For Random Access Memories, they hired “top-notch session players,” says Guy-Manuel, with credits on classic records by Michael Jackson, Herbie Hancock, and Eric Clapton.

Last edited:
Back