Vinyl Me Please Classics

I didn't ask. I'm sure he's going to be off reddit for a while. He popped in when someone asked what the existing Stax Classics were.

From Storf:

"Its not McLemore Avenue my man.

For February Classics: It's a soul album."

Not sure the clue eliminates much, although it makes me think it's more likely to be Lady Soul, even though that got a recent reissue.

And that's disappointing about McLemore Avenue, but there's lots of good stuff still in the Stax vaults I'm sure.

Possible Candidates:
Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul
Aretha Franklin - Aretha Now
Aretha Franklin - Aretha in Paris
Nina Simone - 'Nuff Said
Mavis Staples - Nothing released in '68, but The Staples Singers - Soul Folk in Action and What the World Needs Now... both were released, so I guess they're possible.

Eliminated:
Miles Davis - Nefertiti / Miles in the Sky / Files de Kilimanjaro (But Miles has already had a Classics release)
Jorge Ben - Nothing release in '68
Big Bill Broonzy - Big Bill Broonzy (Live in Brussels)
Ben Webster - Meets Don Byas in the Black Forest
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Blues / Underground

Craft is putting out a Staples Box set in February that includes Soul Folk in Action I think that eliminates that.
I think the Rhino, Chris Bellman cut of Lady Soul that came out last year probably eliminates that one as well, or makes it very unlikely at least compared to the other two Arethas from '68.
I can't speak for Storf, but personally I think it's a little bit of a stretch to call 'Nuff Said a soul album. I wouldn't eliminate it though.

From Storf:

"Its not McLemore Avenue my man.

For February Classics: It's a soul album."

Not sure the clue eliminates much, although it makes me think it's more likely to be Lady Soul, even though that got a recent reissue.

And that's disappointing about McLemore Avenue, but there's lots of good stuff still in the Stax vaults I'm sure.
What about:

Isaac Hayes - ...To Be Continued
Maybe make up for skipping him on the Stax Anthology?

Other quick guesses:
Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love...
Staples Singers - Be Attitude (Unless Soul Folk is next month or Mavis excludes it)

Soul Children - s/t
Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff

Last edited:
Back