Vinyl Me Please Classics

Finally digging into this Mr Hands. The first half of Spiraling Prism reminds me of Daft Punk's Make Love or Game Of Love off Random Access Memories. Just Around The Corner has some riffs, piano, and bass lines that sound like they're off Random Access Memories like Touch and Give Life Back To Music. Holy shit, this Classics pick is right up my alley.
I really disliked Random Access Memories because it sounded more like homages to this era of music instead of anything new or ground breaking. Almost felt like them covering songs instead of writing something new and interesting.

I really disliked Random Access Memories because it sounded more like homages to this era of music instead of anything new or ground breaking. Almost felt like them covering songs instead of writing something new and interesting.

tenor.gif

I actually enjoyed the album more than I thought I would, though I hate Calypso. But it was funny reading the booklet, since it was trying to so hard to make everyone see the error in their ways in ignoring the album. Basically it was trying to say that Mr Hands is Head Hunters for the 80s.
Aw, man. This is one of the best tracks - Tony is killing it here. But for what it's worth, I swapped. I have had this record for 25 years or so.

This is really good. But you know what it decidedly doesn't sound like? 80's jazz. If anything, I think this proves my point, hah.
btf1980 makes a great point. There is literally a ton of great 80's jazz out there from traditionalists (early Marsalis was great) to the outcats. I don't even know what "80's jazz" is though.

We need an opposite of the flame reaction emoji.

Idunno, I'm a casual Daft Punk fan at best (mostly like / know their singles but don't really know any of their albums), and I thought the general consensus was that this was their weakest effort to date? None of the singles did anything for me although I do own a copy of it for some reason?

I know it just received a huge Boxset repress but the estate is cashing in every chance they get. What about Prince - 1999 for 1982? That would be huge (If not hugely necessary).

Not necessary never stopped them before. They did do Queen “A Night At The Opera” after all. Same as the still available reissue, just on colored vinyl.

Idunno, I'm a casual Daft Punk fan at best (mostly like / know their singles but don't really know any of their albums), and I thought the general consensus was that this was their weakest effort to date? None of the singles did anything for me although I do own a copy of it for some reason?

I think RAM is best when listened as a whole. Don't really listen to it much individually but I do love the whole album.(That said, I'm kind of burned out on it, because a friend of mine doesn't listen to anything but about 10-15 same albums when he is here, this being one of them...)

This will probably be sacriligious but I listened to that album and thought to myself “oh Daft Punk just discovered Chic and Michael McDonald. Cool.”

This is really good. But you know what it decidedly doesn't sound like? 80's jazz. If anything, I think this proves my point, hah.

You know what else doesn't sound like "80's" jazz? Most of the albums released by ECM. For reference, check out Bill Frisell, Gary Burton, Marc Johnson...

...but not Pat Metheny. For some people it falls under that category, but, for me, it's an extension of what he was doing in as early as '75.

You know what else doesn't sound like "80's" jazz? Most of the albums released by ECM. For reference, check out Bill Frisell, Gary Burton, Marc Johnson...

...but not Pat Metheny. For some people it falls under that category, but, for me, it's an extension of what he was doing in as early as '75.

I have some ECM titles from the 80s and have to agree with you but pointing out exceptions to the rule really just further proves the rule.

I mean I could make some more wildly contentious statements that for the most part ring true despite the exceptions like.. 80s rap is generally some super basic shit. Like nursery rhyme scheme shit over the most basic of beats, and as a result.. a lot of it does nothing for me other than seeing where it's come from. Does that mean there's not amazing 80s rap? No, not at all.. but the blanket statement generally rings true. And I hate all blanket statements.

I know it just received a huge Boxset repress but the estate is cashing in every chance they get. What about Prince - 1999 for 1982? That would be huge (If not hugely necessary).

thats too big for Classics, would be an Essentials release if anything..... plus if there is already a good top notch reissue done recently of an album they won’t do it for Classics — even though Essentials has no problem with that since they do colored vinyl variants

Not that anybody asked but here is my two cents... Homework & Discovery were classics out the gate and while Human After All has its moments, was certainly a drop off after the first two bangers. Then they went away for a bit and then came storming back with that amazing tour and everyone was craving a new record. They decided to look to the past for inspiration and came up with a modern take on disco. I enjoy it RAM and while I appreciate their first 2 albums more, RAM still offered something enjoyably different. RAM is probably a bit of a victory lap but a fun one nonetheless. Also the RAM LP sounds amazing.

Ironic that RAM is being derided because it allegedly sounds like a copy of an earlier era while at the same time deriding a jazz album that embraced the modern sounds of the time.

For the record, RAM is an amazing album IMO. If I compare it to DP's discography, I rate it behind Discovery but pretty much on par (although very different from) Homework.

Back