Vinyl Me Please Anthology

And the Herbie podcast popped up on iTunes this morning (No purchase required), so I'm guessing it will be shipping soon.
I’d be a little annoyed if I bought the anthology, and it was this delayed, and then they also just threw the podcast up on itunes for anyone to listen to for free before people even have their records. They advertise it like it’s part of the product that they’re selling.

[Looks like I can’t attach screenshots of the places on the site where it mentions the “exclusive” and “intimate” podcast series.]

I’d be a little annoyed if I bought the anthology, and it was this delayed, and then they also just threw the podcast up on itunes for anyone to listen to for free before people even have their records. They advertise it like it’s part of the product that they’re selling.

[Looks like I can’t attach screenshots of the places on the site where it mentions the “exclusive” and “intimate” podcast series.]

I agree. I've only ever bought the Blue Note Anthology. And they released they podcasts ~1-2 months later, which I was fine with. But I've been able to listen to all the other podcasts for free. These last three (Dead, Tribe, and Herbie) I don't think there has even been a delay. Weird to have something as a selling feature and then give it away.

Maybe they are hoping it will help sell the Herbie one, which is (oddly) still not sold out. I have to say, I had some remorse on not picking up the Tribe Records one after listening to the podcast.

I'm going to shoot them an email and see what they say.

The package was not cheap by any means and to basically give away part of it for free, after saying it was exclusive, AND before the box is even shipped is clearly misleading. I personally see the podcast is an integral part of the set, especially seeing the line-up of participants (which includes Herbie) and they clearly used this as a marketing tool to get people to buy it. Although I was obviously in for the records themselves, I did factor in the podcast into the justification for my purchase of it.

Just to add to the above, their own site has it as 1 of 6 things that are included in the set. Seeing as it is no longer an exclusive I'm assuming they will be giving everyone 1/6th of their money back.........

Im interested to see what their reasoning is.

Edit: Just looking at my emails and they clearly show it as being individual 'drops' alongside each LP.

Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 21.29.58.png

Last edited:
I'm going to shoot them an email and see what they say.

The package was not cheap by any means and to basically give away part of it for free, after saying it was exclusive, AND before the box is even shipped is clearly misleading. I personally see the podcast is an integral part of the set, especially seeing the line-up of participants (which includes Herbie) and they clearly used this as a marketing tool to get people to buy it. Although I was obviously in for the records themselves, I did factor in the podcast into the justification for my purchase of it.

Just to add to the above, their own site has it as 1 of 6 reason things that is included. Seeing as it is no longer an exclusive im assuming they will be giving everyone 1/6th of their money back.........

Im interested to see what their reasoning is.

Edit: Just looking at my emails and they clearly show it as being individual 'drops' alongside each LP.

View attachment 96177
Interested to know what the response is as, to be honest, I’m a bit hacked off about it. Fair enough release the podcast later but at least have the decency to wait until those 7 people who paid for the box have their product and get to listen to the experience that was allegedly part of the package first.

it’s just thoughtless as usual

Interested to know what the response is as, to be honest, I’m a bit hacked off about it. Fair enough release the podcast later but at least have the decency to wait until those 7 people who paid for the box have their product and get to listen to the experience that was allegedly part of the package first.

it’s just thoughtless as usual
Completely. They even highlight it as 1 of 6 exclusive elements that are included in the purchase of the set. I cant see how they are not going to receive negative feedback/emails for this.

Looks like it’s on spotify, too. I didn’t order this set but I would definitely feel ripped off if I had. The part of the blue note anthology that was the most interesting to me was the idea of a podcast walking you through the music and the history of the label. And those albums were at least pressed at RTI. Not all of the podcasts have been great but it seemed like they were putting a lot into this particular series for Herbie so I would have thought they would have tried to at least sell a few more copies of the set before making the podcast free.
that said, this might still be the best way to get a good copy of maiden voyage the way that bn classics series has been going lately.

All the podcasts have been on a public feed, so anyone can listen to them in theory. I was fine with it when I was getting the anthologies, but I think it's a legit complaint. I mean, it's really not that hard to set up a private RSS feed for subscribers only? Like, plenty of podcasters have paid episodes and private patreon feeds or whatever. Even if they had a single private feed accessible only to past and future anthology subscribers if they couldn't take the time/effort to do individual feeds or whatever. It's just indicative of VMP's slowly declining quality.

I bought all the anthologies including this one, and I don't mind them being public at all. I actually like them all being more easily accessible if I want to relisten (not that I have or necessarily ever will).

But I agree it is a legit complaint considering the cost. They should probably at least have a window of time where it's exclusive to Anthology buyers before putting it completely out there for all. Maybe until the next anthology is released?

I bought all the anthologies including this one, and I don't mind them being public at all. I actually like them all being more easily accessible if I want to relisten (not that I have or necessarily ever will).

But I agree it is a legit complaint considering the cost. They should probably at least have a window of time where it's exclusive to Anthology buyers before putting it completely out there for all. Maybe until the next anthology is released?
This. Exactly this. I’ve no issue at all with them putting them out. Just let the subscribers have a window. Or at least wait until the boxes have actually been dispatched. Then let the world in

Back