Vinyl Me Please Anthology

If there were a Kranky Anthology, here's what I would want:

Episode 1: The Early Years
Jessamine – Long Arm of Coincidence (or maybe LaBradford - Prazision just to have the first Kranky album)
Stars of the Lid – Ballasted Orchestra

Episode 2: The Breakthrough Albums
Godspeed You! Black Emporer – F# A# ∞. (I like Lift Your... better, but this one is probably more important to the Kranky story)
Low – Things We Lost in the Fire

Episode 3: Deerhunter and Adjacent
Deerhunter – Cryptograms (Or Microcastle. Tough call)
Lotus Plaza – Spooky Action at a Distance

Episode 4: Later Years
Tim Hecker – Virgins
Grouper – The Man Who Died in His Boat

What do you think @duke86fan? If it was $240, would you buy it?

Last edited:

Jessamine – Long Arm of Coincidence (or maybe LaBradford - Prazision just to have the first Kranky album)

Godspeed You! Black Emporer – F# A# ∞. (I like Lifted... better, but this one is probably more important to the Kranky story)

Tim Hecker – Virgins

I'd be in for that... Would there be a free slipmat or banana with it by any chance?

Godspeed You! Black Emporer – F# A# ∞. (I like Lifted... better, but this one is probably more important to the Kranky story)

Tim Hecker – Virgins

Pretty nice

Here is one I came up with
The Slow Rise of Kranky:
Episode 1:
Labradford - A Stable Reference
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - lift yr skinny fists

Episode 2:
Stars of the Lid - Tired sounds of..
Windy and Carl - Consciousness

Episode 3:
Low - Things we lost in the fire
Deerhunter - Cryptograms

Episode 4:
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath 1972
Grouper - Grid of Points

It's actually pretty hard to not stick to one time period or JUST the hits when you only have 8 albums but I think I did a good job

I don't think VMP would do that many of the same artist since they've not repeated an artist in the label anthologies. That's a lot of Billy Paul.

Just received the Tribe set. This is my first Anthology box and I gotta say, I’m really impressed. Pristine packaging, and the records sound great so far.

I’ve listened to the first three albums and currently spinning the fourth. They all sound wonderful, with one exception. Had some distortion on the vocals on side 1 of A Message from the Tribe. Not sure if it’s a pressing defect, they way it was recorded, or my system. It’s also warped, so that may have something to do with it.

Will report back when I finish listening to the rest, but so far I’m pleased. I’d say this was $200 well spent.

Wonder if this will be the same albums that are in the VMP Philadelphia International Records?

It’s worth noting that’s the FIRST box set in a whole series of CD sets. There might be some overlap but I suspect VMP is doing its own thing with the curation.
Yeah, if you read that link, those are the first 8 records released on the label. It looks like they're going to cover every album released on the label with this CD series chronologically, and that is just Volume 1. Doubt that has anything to do with whatever VMP includes in their anthology.

Back