Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Apologies for asking as I'm sure it's been discussed already, but if I picked this up, what additional albums would be classed as essential for someone new to the Dead?

Edit: how about American Beauty, Workingmans Dead and Live Dead to go alongside the Rhino box set...?
I'd second the AB, Workingman's Dead recommendations. I'd hazard with this assortment that Live Dead would be the best live album for diversity of time period sake, since you wouldn't have any primal Dead (pre-WD/AB). Anthem of the Sun is a great album as well if you're looking for Primal Dead and would be my 3rd studio recommendation.

Skulls and Roses/Europe '72 are both fantastic, but from the period between American Beauty and Wake of the Flood. Skulls and Roses is the hardest straight ahead rock of the group's eras, E'72 hits all sorts of sweet spots. Depends on how deep you want to get yourself into this.

I'd second the AB, Workingman's Dead recommendations. I'd hazard with this assortment that Live Dead would be the best live album for diversity of time period sake, since you wouldn't have any primal Dead (pre-WD/AB). Anthem of the Sun is a great album as well if you're looking for Primal Dead and would be my 3rd studio recommendation.

Skulls and Roses/Europe '72 are both fantastic, but from the period between American Beauty and Wake of the Flood. Skulls and Roses is the hardest straight ahead rock of the group's eras, E'72 hits all sorts of sweet spots. Depends on how deep you want to get yourself into this.
Thanks, all that makes sense. So now I'm wondering if the whole Rhino Box Set is an over-indulgence!?

Thanks, all that makes sense. So now I'm wondering if the whole Rhino Box Set is an over-indulgence!?
Not if you can get it for a good price. The only one that is kinda meh IMO is Steal Your Face! The other 3 are some of their best Studio albums. I have heard the set can be had for a fairly decent price if you are patient though.

Rhino just reissued 50th anniversary versions of both American Beauty and Workingman’s Dead so those can be found for a reasonable price. Might wanna start there while looking for the Boxset.

Not if you can get it for a good price. The only one that is kinda meh IMO is Steal Your Face! The other 3 are some of their best Studio albums. I have heard the set can be had for a fairly decent price if you are patient though.

Rhino just reissued 50th anniversary versions of both American Beauty and Workingman’s Dead so those can be found for a reasonable price. Might wanna start there while looking for the Boxset.
Studio Dead should be on vinyl and live Dead should be digital so to not interrupt the flow of the concert. I grabbed the RSD boxset because finding individual copies in Canada of the Allah and Mars Rhino editions was proving to be difficult.
Sounds fair enough, the Rhino box is £75 over here, still seems decent for four albums. Amazon look like they've a blue Barnes and Noble pressing of Workingman’s Dead coming in at the end of Demember, any ideas of how this compares with the Rhino? Also the AB 50th seems to be a picture disk...?

Sounds fair enough, the Rhino box is £75 over here, still seems decent for four albums. Amazon look like they've a blue Barnes and Noble pressing of Workingman’s Dead coming in at the end of Demember, any ideas of how this compares with the Rhino? Also the AB 50th seems to be a picture disk...?
Any recent reissues will be Rhino and sound good for the money.

AB has a picture disc and regular black that was released for the 50th.

The Rhino Box is a good deal for what you get.

Anthem of the Sun is definitely worth a pick up. Everyone seems to start at WMD and AB, which is understandable as they're fantastic, but I love Anthem. And if you can find something else you want the 1967 mix (that I have. It's the 2011 rhino and sounds great) is in HMVs 2 for £30 offer at the minute. Doesn't look like there is anymore dead in the deal but just about every other record they sell is

Just a friendly reminder. If you are no longer a member and you receive a discount code today for Tribe that you don't plan on using. Please pass it on so @craigdino can use it. Cheers.
Nothing in my in box yet, but I will send it over if one arrives. But reading the weasel language on the Anthology page makes me think there might not be a discount code. On one page it lists a Member and Non-Member price (pretty sure this means VMP member and not a previous Anthology purchaser).

And then there is this nice little 'fuck you'. So unless you are in the US, as a previous Anthology purchaser you get fuck all
Domestic current VMP members who are previous purchasers of VMP Anthology will pay $249, with no discount code needed, and International folks will pay $289. Domestic non-members who are previous purchasers of a VMP Anthology will receive a code to pay that same price.

Nothing in my in box yet, but I will send it over if one arrives. But reading the weasel language on the Anthology page makes me think there might not be a discount code. On one page it lists a Member and Non-Member price (pretty sure this means VMP member and not a previous Anthology purchaser).

And then there is this nice little 'fuck you'. So unless you are in the US, as a previous Anthology purchaser you get fuck all
Domestic current VMP members who are previous purchasers of VMP Anthology will pay $249, with no discount code needed, and International folks will pay $289. Domestic non-members who are previous purchasers of a VMP Anthology will receive a code to pay that same price.
I read that to say the code will allow you to pay those prices depending if you are US or international... I think...

My buddy is a member and logged in. That brings the price down to $249. Then he also was emailed a code for buying a previous anthology and it brought it down to $199.
Interestingly as an international member without a code it's charging me $249. So it looks like the international price isn't working properly. Should be 289 I believe.

Just a friendly reminder. If you are no longer a member and you receive a discount code today for Tribe that you don't plan on using. Please pass it on so @craigdino can use it. Cheers.

I've got a code...will DM ya @craigdino ...let me know if you already have one, in case someone else wants it.

I'd post here, but thinks it's one-time use.

I just used the code... thanks a ton @moohoohahaha - teamwork making the dreamwork.

I am excited for this boxset.. looks to be really well done (pray for non @Mather like Dead box issues).. my first VMP purchase in over 2 years....

It's odd that that the Belgrave "Gemini II" isn't included in this boxset though.... may be my favorite (and by far the funkiest) of the tribe releases....thankfully I own an original of that one. Possibly a separate reissue of that one?

Tribe is my favorite 70s jazz label.. the music is so deep. If you are on the fence... I honestly can't recommend it enough.

Back