Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I have all the Pure Pleasure reissues of these, save for the previously unreleased Farewell to the Welfare, which will presumably get a standalone NA release at some point. I wonder how these cuts will compare.

I'm seriously hyped for this! "A Message For A Tribe" is an amazing album. And Now Again tend to put out amazing stuff anyway. Looking forward to seeing what the Cyber Monday exclusive print looks like.

So is it striking anyone else kinda weird that there’s been like no mention of the Sparklehorse set since it was announced? Did it just sell out super quick or does that mean there’s a problem?
It's still up:

It's still up:

Yea--it was never an anthology release--was just a box set separate of Anthology.

Well they got me back in boys
Based on some quick research, Pure Pleasure pressed all but 1 of these albums (which has never been reissued). Price-wise, if ya want em all, not a bad deal compared to the PP pressings. If you only want a few, probably better off just grabbing the PP's on their own!

Based on some quick research, Pure Pleasure pressed all but 1 of these albums (which has never been reissued). Price-wise, if ya want em all, not a bad deal compared to the PP pressings. If you only want a few, probably better off just grabbing the PP's on their own!

Hm good point. But.... the podcast.

I actually have Vibes and Message already so it kind of does make sense to go the individual route. Depending on availability.

I actually have Vibes and Message already so it kind of does make sense to go the individual route. Depending on availability.
With a quick discogs search seemed like most were around $30 but didn't check to see if they are US-based sellers or not! The unreleased album would be cool though. Could always just sell the ones you DO have already. The price on this set doesn't seem too bad actually.

I’ve got a couple of the Pure Pleasure releases., they are quality. This actually seems like a reasonable price if you want all these albums.

I’ve got a couple of the Pure Pleasure releases., they are quality. This actually seems like a reasonable price if you want all these albums.

Since you both seem to know these albums/artists does it get into Art Ensamble of Chicago levels weird/out there jazz or is it all fairly digestible?

Since you both seem to know these albums/artists does it get into Art Ensamble of Chicago levels weird/out there jazz or is it all fairly digestible?
Way more digestible. It’s free jazz but considerably more funky. I have Vibes From The Tribe and The Time Is Now. I also have Wendell Harrison’s Dreams of Love Supreme (which isn’t part of the set). I dig the music on all of them and I am not a big Free Jazz person.

Yeah I’m a little confused about this box. Does Now Again have sole rights to Tribe now? If so, these are almost certainly going to come out on that label at the very least. Maybe the unreleased Wendell Harrison album will be specific to this box set only? I believe I have all six that were reissued by Pure Pleasure. They are fantastic records and I need to pull them out again.

Yeah I’m a little confused about this box. Does Now Again have sole rights to Tribe now? If so, these are almost certainly going to come out on that label at the very least. Maybe the unreleased Wendell Harrison album will be specific to this box set only? I believe I have all six that were reissued by Pure Pleasure. They are fantastic records and I need to pull them out again.
VMP does this in nearly all the anthologies now. They rely on you not looking at where else you can buy the albums, or expect people to want to pay a premium to buy all the records in one box instead of buying separately. This one's weirder than most because 6 of the 7 are easily found on Pure Pleasure as AAA releases. I'd bet that Now-Again has the rights only to the unreleased album which is why they got the 2nd billing on the box set again. If you want the unreleased album, you'll likely have to buy this box set (or at least until Now-Again releases a variant of it). I'd have to think that the album will get another release since its so rare, but who knows. We still haven't seen the Zamrock reissues that people claimed Now-Again would release separately.

In this case, it's probably the same price to buy all the albums in it separately from Pure Pleasure if you don't have any and want them all. They are some great albums. I agree with @serotonein that it's frustrating to pay a premium on a box instead of getting a better price, but all the Anthologies have been that so far. I own two and they are awesome, but they lost me with the Dead box and not sure I'll buy any in the future unless they do a label or artist I love and don't have good copies of their albums.

VMP does this in nearly all the anthologies now. They rely on you not looking at where else you can buy the albums, or expect people to want to pay a premium to buy all the records in one box instead of buying separately. This one's weirder than most because 6 of the 7 are easily found on Pure Pleasure as AAA releases. I'd bet that Now-Again has the rights only to the unreleased album which is why they got the 2nd billing on the box set again. If you want the unreleased album, you'll likely have to buy this box set (or at least until Now-Again releases a variant of it). I'd have to think that the album will get another release since its so rare, but who knows. We still haven't seen the Zamrock reissues that people claimed Now-Again would release separately.

In this case, it's probably the same price to buy all the albums in it separately from Pure Pleasure if you don't have any and want them all. They are some great albums. I agree with @serotonein that it's frustrating to pay a premium on a box instead of getting a better price, but all the Anthologies have been that so far. I own two and they are awesome, but they lost me with the Dead box and not sure I'll buy any in the future unless they do a label or artist I love and don't have good copies of their albums.
Yeah I only have the Blue Note box and would have loved to own a couple other boxes had the selection been better or the price been more reasonable. I really don’t see how they will be able to get me to buy another anthology any time soon. They also need to stop throwing all of these anthologies out in the market, imo. They obviously aren’t selling well and I don’t believe Tribe will be an exception.

Yeah I only have the Blue Note box and would have loved to own a couple other boxes had the selection been better or the price been more reasonable. I really don’t see how they will be able to get me to buy another anthology any time soon. They also need to stop throwing all of these anthologies out in the market, imo. They obviously aren’t selling well and I don’t believe Tribe will be an exception.
It seems that Acoustic Sounds buys some of the anthologies now in advance to sell later. They have had the Dead box, Motown and will likely have Herbie. I bet they do the same with this box.

Back