Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Good to know. I bought the Self-titled and Anthem but not Aoxomoxoa yet. That definitely makes more sense if the pressing was that much of a mess. Still would have made more sense from the "story" perspective but I have zero complaints about having some amazing pressings of Workingman and Beauty instead.
I think the 50th vinyl is the 71 mix so it may be sonically better but it's a totally different mix to the '69 (dude).

Same with Anthem. the 2011 is the '68 mix and the 50th is the '71 by the looks of it. I've only ever heard the '68 to be honest as it's all I've ever owned but one of the hardcore dead lot from here may have a view on which is the better bet. The '68 from 2011 is awesome though. Bellman straight from the tapes.

I think the 50th vinyl is the 71 mix so it may be sonically better but it's a totally different mix to the '69 (dude).

Same with Anthem. the 2011 is the '68 mix and the 50th is the '71 by the looks of it. I've only ever heard the '68 to be honest as it's all I've ever owned but one of the hardcore dead lot from here may have a view on which is the better bet. The '68 from 2011 is awesome though. Bellman straight from the tapes.

Just checking out Discogs and it looks like this Summers Aoxomoxoa reissue is pretty well reviewed, and definitely the '71 as you stated. It seems like the previous one is the poorly reviewed one (though I could be wrong, not a huge amount of reviews yet.

The 2011 '68 pressing actually has more bad reviews, talking about how the mixing is awful. Who knows....I'm no audiophile or deadhead so I'll probably just grab the newer release at some point (was going to grab it in the latest Target b2g1 but it sold out)

Only critique is I think it would have made more sense for the story aspect to have ‘Aoxomoxoa’ instead of ‘American Beauty’. From a story aspect it seems much more important in their transition to the “weirder” dead and the debt they racked up from tha album is what inspired ‘Live Dead’ and the next two albums. They reference it alot during the first two podcasts and I think it’s more important in telling the story than having both Workingmans and Beauty, which both represent the same era.

Also WD>AB>Europe'72 are that roots-americana trilogy. It's a real shame they didn't do the studio album of the europe 72 material that would have completed that trilogy.

Maybe making a box big enough for the other albums not in the box (with foam padding in case the buyer did not want to get the missing albums) would have been a decent middle ground. Anyone that listened to the box and wanted more dead is definitely going to want to fill in missing spots. They can't get the other box sets, there's a lot of crossover. They can't fit in the extra albums in the box, so you have a big mish-mash.

Good to know. I might ask Satan for a copy for Christmas.
Yeah, I just picked up last week. It’s pressed nicely also (at RTI) and cut by Chris Bellman. Also, before I grabbed it I was reading up on the difference between the 69 and 71 mixes and what I realized was most people (including me) were likely more familiar with the 71 mix than the 69 mix anyways. As you said, the 69 mix was lost and only recently reissued in 2010 (initially as part of the box set and then individually in 2011). The 71 mix was the only versions reissued after 1971 (including on CD). I still have never listened to the 69 mix but from what I have learned it was a bit of trial and error which was incredibly expensive and sloppy as it was mostly the band learning how to produce and engineer an album. By 1971 they had a much better handle on the whole process and were able to remix it all into a much better sounding version. I am sure some folks prefer 69 to 71 since they stripped away a lot of the superfluous recording tracks but overall I think the 1971 version is the more definitive version.

Yeah, I just picked up last week. It’s pressed nicely also (at RTI) and cut by Chris Bellman. Also, before I grabbed it I was reading up on the difference between the 69 and 71 mixes and what I realized was most people (including me) were likely more familiar with the 71 mix than the 69 mix anyways. As you said, the 69 mix was lost and only recently reissued in 2010 (initially as part of the box set and then individually in 2011). The 71 mix was the only versions reissued after 1971 (including on CD). I still have never listened to the 69 mix but from what I have learned it was a bit of trial and error which was incredibly expensive and sloppy as it was mostly the band learning how to produce and engineer an album. By 1971 they had a much better handle on the whole process and were able to remix it all into a much better sounding version. I am sure some folks prefer 69 to 71 since they stripped away a lot of the superfluous recording tracks but overall I think the 1971 version is the more definitive version.
Again it's one of those bizarre things as I've only ever had the 69 so would probably find the 71 a bit weird. I say the Rhino sounds shit. I've still listened to it a fair chunk. Anyway, parents are on the case for the 50th so I'll get it when they give me my buffalo box back... And the latest Springsteen, Dylan and Neil Young that I'd bought and they've also decided to take from my house so they can give them to me at Christmas

On my Europe 72. I can see the labels aren't aligned between side 1 and 2 but as the vinyl is see through can also see the run out grooves on the two sides go off at completely different angles. I haven't played it yet but it looks bizarre

On my Europe 72. I can see the labels aren't aligned between side 1 and 2 but as the vinyl is see through can also see the run out grooves on the two sides go off at completely different angles. I haven't played it yet but it looks bizarre
The whole set is full of this stuff. Off centred labels on at least half of mine.

Have we heard anything else about when the Herbie box is being shipped? I know it says Winter but that's incredibly vague...

Back