Vinyl Me Please Anthology

A Stax Anthology is THE one I'm interested in. Anyone have a discount code they aren't using that they'd be willing to share?

Quick question? Do people find it hard to justify $300ish for 8 albums? Because I’ll be honest, even discounting my distaste for the anthology concept, I’d be wanting near double the content for that kinda cash.
YES! I love Stax as much as anyone but I think these things are incredibly overpriced. But they sell, so what do I know. The way these anthologies break down you are paying premium price for each individual album without knowing what they are. I'm very happy that they released the artist list (though I was hoping for a little more obscurity). I don't know if you could find older copies of each of these albums at a lower price but if you factor in that there's at least one album you're probably not going to care much about, then you're paying super premium prices. And are these pressings the quality of MoFi or the like? The verdict is still out on that.

Quick question? Do people find it hard to justify $300ish for 8 albums? Because I’ll be honest, even discounting my distaste for the anthology concept, I’d be wanting near double the content for that kinda cash.
As I mentioned earlier, at $300 USD (a few bucks under $400 CDN) I can probably get original presses of all 8 records for the same price. But I wouldn't get the fancy box or other add-ons.
I am pretty happy with my current soul collection which already is mostly Stax titles through VMP.

Yeah, I don't think there's any possible box set they could do that would tempt me at these prices. Even giving them the benefit of the doubt that the records would sound great and the extra material would be interesting. Especially considering how often they do these now, there's no way they can be spending enough time on these to make any of them worth it for me.

Yes, me. I was very interested in the anthology boxsets at first, because i really enjoy a nice boxset. i was a little sad at first that i missed out on blue note, because of fomo. But i noticed how i lost interest in the vmp anthologies when i deleted the stax e-mail without reading it. The anthologies are just too expensive for me for whats in there.. The pressings are probably the definitive versions out there, so if you are really so much into stax that is great. But the anthology will come to probably 330$ shipped internationally. that's more than 40$ a record for basically a bundle of cool records in a box. Everyone in here who has anthologies basically says you can forget everything else. The liner notes are (from real experts but so far have been shorter than the Wikipedia articles about the records, the podcast are nice but i don't have to buy the anthology to see them. The experience part also seems to be rushed more and more with now 8 albums over 4 weeks. So the whole thing would probably be over before the package arrives in europe.
I have a bunch of box sets. There are some like my rhino aretha or otis, that just have the records and no big extras. They have pressings that are good for myy ears anx were under 100$ each. I also have more lavish ones like the kinks ore one of the bbowies wwho come with extensive books, booklets. Vmp anthologies are priced even above the latter ones. So, i'm out of that for good.
Plus as i saw in blue note, there are lots of great albums from the label readily available. if it doesnt need to be those exact 8 albums, why buy the anthology? Same for me with stax and motown. I have a few records from each label, but there are more essential ones i should buy first.

But I want this Boxset because it is extremely good-looking. I’m aware there are AAA reissues that are much cheaper, but a lot of the Motown and Blue Note reissues I’ve purchased brand new for example, have had warps/scratches many of the times. I know this won’t be the case. And if there are any faulty records (if it’s like the VMP Anthology Motown, than there won’t be any issues), VMP will gladly replace me! And I plan on listening to the podcasts as well this time! 🎙📻🙇‍♂️

I don’t want to just buy Stax reissues. I want it to be curated in a Boxset for me! I’m definitely more of a Motown person than a Stax person, so I think the podcasts and overall experience will definitely make this experience special! 💎🎁

And I can also afford this Boxset! I’ve been putting a lot of things on a payment plan, so all has been good! Get paid on Wednesday luckily and I’ll be all good to buy this sweet thing when it drops 😇

PS - I really hope the William Bell record in this Boxset is “Phases of Reality” 🤞

I'm drunk af but that's bullshit just get the og's

I would really like to get a NM Sam and Dave Hold On album. I swear that album and Soul Man are perpetually VG-. I have never found either in better shape than that ha! Party records for sure. Also, Hold On is the best song to ever be recorded in a bathroom :LOL:

*in good condition

if you are really dedicated to the best sound you either buy all of them on discogs OG pressings at good enough condition for you.. or buy the box... depending which ones cheaper and you trust more (this is just if there hasn't been a repress by like analogue productions, mofi, speakers corner, etc.)

No, I want the Boxset because it will be premium sound quality, it will be 180g and the Boxset is attractive and will contain records I‘ll love listening to!

Enjoy the rest of your night! Hope you get laid tonight because it’s always better when you’re drunk! 😚😈

No, I want the Boxset because it will be premium sound quality, it will be 180g and the Boxset is attractive and will contain records I‘ll love listening to!

Enjoy the rest of your night! Hope you get laid tonight because it’s always better when you’re drunk! 😚😈
Just joking @TheThinWhiteDuke ! 😂

I hope you eat something you really like because that’s amazing when you’re drunk and I hope you have such a good breakfast for you hangover cure! 😘

Does anyone remember if you were able to check out with Afterpay with the previous VMP Anthologies?!??

I want to use Afterpay to buy this Boxset!

Phew I’m so glad I’m not alone. I think I’d have my head tested if I even considered them at that price. The way I see it as is:

1. The podcasts have no monetary value to the consumer regardless of quality or cost. They are up online so that anyone can see them and also so that they can be taken down if VMP ever wants to. If they believed in them that much they’d be in a private stream for box set holders with a cheap as chips CD/DVD in the box.

2. The booklets I’ve seen so far loo like cheap tat thrown together at the last minute. Not what I’ve come to expect in much cheaper sets.

3. Only 8 records. That is a whopping $37.50 a record. What happened to individual records in box sets being cheaper than buying them alone.

4. Comparisons. The Kinks in mono. Beautiful AAA records. gorgeous hard cover box. Substantial hard cover book. €160 for 9 albums over 10 discs. that’s €17.77 ($19.65) which is cheaper than the retail for each individual albums. The 4 Bowie box sets. The most ridiculously well put together box sets I’ve ever come across. €250 for 13-15 pieces of vinyl, exclusive lost albums and complications and a great, substantial, hardcover book. The Bowie ones were sourced from the original tapes as well, it’s what causes the problem with “Heroes “ that required a replacement pressing by Warner’s.

5. the only 2 people who have said they will buy would have anyway so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Phew I’m so glad I’m not alone. I think I’d have my head tested if I even considered them at that price. The way I see it as is:

1. The podcasts have no monetary value to the consumer regardless of quality or cost. They are up online so that anyone can see them and also so that they can be taken down if VMP ever wants to. If they believed in them that much they’d be in a private stream for box set holders with a cheap as chips CD/DVD in the box.

2. The booklets I’ve seen so far loo like cheap tat thrown together at the last minute. Not what I’ve come to expect in much cheaper sets.

3. Only 8 records. That is a whopping $37.50 a record. What happened to individual records in box sets being cheaper than buying them alone.

4. Comparisons. The Kinks in mono. Beautiful AAA records. gorgeous hard cover box. Substantial hard cover book. €160 for 9 albums over 10 discs. that’s €17.77 ($19.65) which is cheaper than the retail for each individual albums. The 4 Bowie box sets. The most ridiculously well put together box sets I’ve ever come across. €250 for 13-15 pieces of vinyl, exclusive lost albums and complications and a great, substantial, hardcover book. The Bowie ones were sourced from the original tapes as well, it’s what causes the problem with “Heroes “ that requires a replacement pressing by Warner’s.

5. the only 2 people who have said they will buy wpuld have anyway so 🤷🏻‍♂️
1. I agree with the Podcasts especially. They don’t have any monetary value.

2. I actually really like the booklets so far, they are cool, visually appealing and easy to digest.

3. Yes, I also agree with this! It’s definitely overpriced! But for me, it’s worth the money. I buy overpriced things all the time, but it’s always worth it for me!

4. Mmmmm it’s crazy how much cheaper those Boxsets are in comparison. However, I don’t want an individual artists/bands discography in a Boxset. That’s boring and isn’t something I care for in general. Like, I don’t want the Kate Bush Boxset, I’d only want particular records by her. But having a record label Boxset with albums by artists when they were more in their prime/near their prime, is much more attractive to me! Like, we are not going to get William Bell’s album he released this decade. HELL NO!

1. I agree with the Podcasts especially. They don’t have any monetary value.

2. I actually really like the booklets so far, they are cool, visually appealing and easy to digest.

3. Yes, I also agree with this! It’s definitely overpriced! But for me, it’s worth the money. I buy overpriced things all the time, but it’s always worth it for me!

4. Mmmmm it’s crazy how much cheaper those Boxsets are in comparison. However, I don’t want an individual artists/bands discography in a Boxset. That’s boring and isn’t something I care for in general. Like, I don’t want the Kate Bush Boxset, I’d only want particular records by her. But having a record label Boxset with albums by artists when they were more in their prime/near their prime, is much more attractive to me! Like, we are not going to get William Bell’s album he released this decade. HELL NO!

I mean I don’t understand the appeal of multi artist sets. I think it’s the dumbest idea that dumb company ever had. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Also those boxes I mentioned? Those artists had HUGE careers. There is NO filler in the first 3 Bowie boxes and that only takes you up to 1982 over 39 glorious pieces of vinyl. The 4th one is a bit more for fans only but is still a beautiful box. The kinks one is most of their 60s output and again no filler.

But that’s also not really my point at all, my point with those boxes is that you can do a BETTER JOB at approaching half the price per unit.

Last edited:
I mean I don’t understand the appeal of multi artist sets. I think it’s the dumbest idea that dumb company ever had. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Also those boxes I mentioned? Those artists had HUGE careers. There is NO filler in the first 3 Bowie boxes and that only takes you up to 1982 over 39 glorious pieces of vinyl. The 4th one is a bit more for fans only but is still a beautiful box. The kinks one is most of their 60s output and again no filler.

But that’s also no really my point at all, my point with those boxes is that you can do a BETTER JOB at approaching half the price per unit.
I guess we have different tastes then. I love the multi-artists, record-label box sets, particularly for record labels that have a high reputation (like Blue Note, Motown & Stax).

I guess it’s a very good deal then, that the Bowie and Kinks Boxsets were both amazing sound quality and price wise! I am personally not into that. It’s not attractive to me if you know what I mean. Like, sure, if there was a Prince Box Set with his studio albums released up until Love Symbol, i’d get that! Or if there was a The Smiths Boxset! But the price has to be good for me, otherwise I just don’t find it as interesting personally.

And it’s not a dumb idea (multi-artists Boxsets). There’s good reason why they have all been selling well, and I’m sure the Stax Boxset will sell very well too!

And VMP is not a dumb company. Why are you even subscribed to them at the moment if you consider them a dumb company?!??

VMP is the biggest vinyl club and that’s for a good reason in my opinion - they are interesting, fun and make attractive colour variants, have great variety and great sound quality for the most part. They just have a really nice balance and their prices overall are amazing in my opinion, for their free international shipping and generous customer service/returns policy.

I guess we have different tastes then. I love the multi-artists, record-label box sets, particularly for record labels that have a high reputation (like Blue Note, Motown & Stax).

I guess it’s a very good deal then, that the Bowie and Kinks Boxsets were both amazing sound quality and price wise! I am personally not into that. It’s not attractive to me if you know what I mean. Like, sure, if there was a Prince Box Set with his studio albums released up until Love Symbol, i’d get that! Or if there was a The Smiths Boxset! But the price has to be good for me, otherwise I just don’t find it as interesting personally.

And it’s not a dumb idea. There’s good reason why they have all been selling well, and I’m just the Stax Boxset will sell very well too!

And VMP is not a dumb company. Why are you even subscribed to them at the moment if you consider them a dumb company?!??

VMP is the biggest vinyl club and that’s for a good reason in my opinion - they are interesting, fun and make attractive colour variants, have great variety and great sound quality for the most part. They just have a really nice balance and their prices overall are amazing in my opinion, for their free international shipping and generous customer service/returns policy.

I don’t want to get into a multi artist v single artist debate. I did that in the old place and my opinion has not changed. That is absolutely not my point here so let’s stop going down that blind alley. My point is in value based on cost per unit. These aren’t a bit on the high side, they are comically overpriced, only that it’s actually not that funny, it’s sad.

I sub because I fell for QOTSA FOMO and then less than a month later there is a standard from the same master. I feel dumb about that. Come the end of the 3 month sub I’m gone forever. Not even a whale could tempt me back. I’m also going to have a sale of about 20 VMP records that I bought and actually shouldn’t have!

They are hands down the worst company I’ve dealt with in a long time for FOMO sales tactics, treating their customers with derision, QC and their product isn’t actually all that special once the rose tinted glasses come off. Dumb company.

And selling well? They’ve had to beg to sell out the full 1,000 and 500 of the last 2 (if they even did or just pulled for appearances). They hung around longer than I would have expected considering the low pressing numbers and aggressive FOMO marketing.

Last edited:
I don’t want to get into a multi artist v single artist debate. I did that in the old place and my opinion has not changed. That is absolutely not my point here so let’s stop going down that blind alley. My point is in value based on cost per unit.

I sub because I fell for QOTSA FOMO and then less that a month later there is a standard from the same master. I feel dumb about that. Come the end of the 3 month sub I’m gone forever. Not even a whale could tempt me back. I’m also going to have a sale of about 20 VMP records that I bought and actually shouldn’t have!

They are hands down the worst company I’ve dealt with in a long time for FOMO sales taxtsics, treating their customers with derision, QC and their product isn’t actually all that special once the rose tinted glasses come off. Dumb company.

And selling well? They’ve had to beg to sell out the full 1,000 and 500 of the last 2 (if they even did or just pulled for appearances). They hung around longer than I would have expected considering the low pressing numbers and aggressive FOMO marketing.
Mmmm I still agree with you with the value based on the cost per unit. It’s overpriced! But so is Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Urban Outfitters, Apple, McDonalds and 75th Blue Note. But.....because they are all special and unique companies and do special things! VMP is unique, with their three ROTM tracks and variety of swaps they have. Their colour variants are usually amazing too and they just have that perfect balance of music they choose to press and sell!

Yes, they treat their customers with derision, but so many big companies do too. It doesn’t bother me honestly. As long as I’m getting a good deal, I’m happy!

Ok, maybe they aren’t selling well, but isn’t the manager like a multi-millionaire? I mean, they’re the biggest vinyl club. They’re bigger than the Third Man Records Vinyl club, right?

VMP will hang around for a long time! You’ll see! They won’t be going anywhere within the next 5 years in my opinion!

I’m sorry you had a poor experience with VMP though. It is a shame. So much people have had bad experiences with them. But I’ve been fortunate with them, and I’m also not as emotionally involved with all the bullshit behind doors they do and all the immoral actions they have committed. VMP do a lot of good things too! It is sad though that most people here are disappointed with VMP. I’m not ignoring it. I’m honestly not and I’m happy you and other people are voicing it.

But this Boxset is attractive, and is 180g, AAA, pressed at QRP and is cut by Ryan Smith and I love Stax Records. The Motown Records VMP Boxset was glorious. The Erykah Badu record sounded soooooooo much better than the standard pressing I have. I threw that standard pressing in the bin afterwards! (I know, I threw vinyl in VG condition in the bin, but I can’t be bothered selling it/giving it away). The Motown box was also AAA, cut by Ryan Smith, 180g and pressed at QRP, so this Stax Boxset is going to be everything. I know it’s expensive and overpriced, but I’m too good looking to not grab this Boxset 😜📦🥳

Back