Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Sounds a bit like the troubles I went through with the Herbie box, Head Hunters in particular. I ultimately had to send a copy out to one of our resident Vinyl Flatteners to take care of the dish, as it became apparent VMP would be unable to send me a flat record.
I'll give them.. ONE of my amon Amarth and black dahlia

But I hear want that armored saint 2nd LP WITHOUT a chipped center

Is The Piano in general not able to be pressed with a quiet backdrop? 3 discs I’ve received so far and they all have a persistent surface noise in the back

Is The Piano in general not able to be pressed with a quiet backdrop? 3 discs I’ve received so far and they all have a persistent surface noise in the back

I had some sibilance rather than any surface noise on my first issue. 2nd press is just about spot on. What sort of surface noise are you getting? I’ll listen a little closer next time round. I haven’t listened with headphones either which can be a little more sensitive.

I’m shocked that the Metal Blade set is still available for purchase.
I'm not. After the success of the BN, Motown and Stax anthologies, VMP announced big plans to do upwards of 4 anthologies a year. But...delays, misjudged titles (Grateful Dead), COVID production problems and dwindling sales seem to have toned those plans down.

I suspect the sales of these sets has gone way down over the past year.

I'm not. After the success of the BN, Motown and Stax anthologies, VMP announced big plans to do upwards of 4 anthologies a year. But...delays, misjudged titles (Grateful Dead), COVID production problems and dwindling sales seem to have toned those plans down.

I was mostly being sarcastic, but the points that you mentioned are legit. I thought the price point was way off for non members. Most new single lps from Metal Blade are $25. I know some of the titles in the set are out of print or expensive on the secondary market, but I’m confident that Metal Blade will be reissuing them soon enough.

It looks like 4 anthologies a year isn’t paying off. Curious to see if they continue at that rate.

Yeah, I'm not surprised given the niche product and the poor reviews so far. The Dead box was a huge misfire, particularly at the originally announced 7500 copies and a poor selection of titles for existing fans of the band (what GD vinyl fan doesn't have WD, AB, and Live Dead?).

The jazz anthologies do seem to be the real sweet spot of these sets.

Yeah, I'm not surprised given the niche product and the poor reviews so far. The Dead box was a huge misfire, particularly at the originally announced 7500 copies and a poor selection of titles for existing fans of the band (what GD vinyl fan doesn't have WD, AB, and Live Dead?).

The jazz anthologies do seem to be the real sweet spot of these sets.

Not only was 7,500 an overestimation, I saw lots of complaints about the price. I’m sure they thought WAN was going to hook lots of folks.

Not only was 7,500 an overestimation, I saw lots of complaints about the price. I’m sure they thought WAN was going to hook lots of folks.
Yeah, I think WAN and Reckoning (which is hard to find) were the draws for the devoted, but why would anyone pay 400 for those two when at the time both of those albums were $100 or so. It made no sense. Their curation/decision making seems better in the Classics department than when they step outside those genres.

20210713_134854.jpg
Eh.. fuck it is flat and not chipped like the other copies of this so I'll just safely get it

I've saved all the boxes the anthologies were shipped in and I'm running out of space. Can someone help me get over the fact that I don't need them, or should I save them?

Just stumbled across this video where Cameron Schaefer mentions that they only pressed 2,500 of the Dead anthology box and that a repress of another 2,500 is expected to be available toward the end of the year. My guess is they initially announced 7,500 and waited to see the response. Seems like it was overall positive and there’s enough interest to press a whole bunch more.

That being said, I would be shocked if they could actually sell 7,500 of these in the end. I always see people selling individual pressings from their box, presumably because they already own the album. Not sure why they wouldn’t take the most requested albums (Without A Net, Reckoning) and repress those individually. Maybe it’s because they know the demand for those two alone may drive more Deadheads to buy it. After all, playable condition OGs of Without A Net are selling around $300 these days, nearly the price for the box set.

Just stumbled across this video where Cameron Schaefer mentions that they only pressed 2,500 of the Dead anthology box and that a repress of another 2,500 is expected to be available toward the end of the year. My guess is they initially announced 7,500 and waited to see the response. Seems like it was overall positive and there’s enough interest to press a whole bunch more.

That being said, I would be shocked if they could actually sell 7,500 of these in the end. I always see people selling individual pressings from their box, presumably because they already own the album. Not sure why they wouldn’t take the most requested albums (Without A Net, Reckoning) and repress those individually. Maybe it’s because they know the demand for those two alone may drive more Deadheads to buy it. After all, playable condition OGs of Without A Net are selling around $300 these days, nearly the price for the box set.
I would assume the Dead are planning to sell those individually themselves, and VMP doesn't have the licence to sell them outside of the box.

I would assume the Dead are planning to sell those individually themselves, and VMP doesn't have the licence to sell them outside of the box.
Possibly. Thought it would only really make sense for the Dead to sell them individually only after VMP sells whatever their allotment/license is for. So, it’ll probably be a few years until/if they get individual releases from Rhino.

Possibly. Thought it would only really make sense for the Dead to sell them individually only after VMP sells whatever their allotment/license is for. So, it’ll probably be a few years until/if they get individual releases from Rhino.
It probably does not matter to the dead when and how much vmp sells off the boxes because they will have their money for the license already so they probably do the individual release whenever they want

Back