Vinyl Me Please Anthology

BUT... There is a but... BUT aside from the clear issue with Reckoning keep in mind that I am being HYPER critical here. My system is clinical to a fault and my 2M Black cart is pure evil and lives to torment me by showing me every single thing that's wrong with every record I own. I would guess that from the relatively small amount of tics that I'm hearing that the vast majority of buyers won't have as much of an issue with these as me, if any. I'm holding this to the standard of an Analogue Productions box set, and so far it's failing that test, but I'd wager that if most people took my box set and played it at their house, they wouldn't hear most of the little bits of noise I'm hearing.
It’s still disappointing though because this Boxset was expensive and was also pressed at QRP; the top pressing plant! It could very well be a colour thing but it shouldn’t have those ticks if it’s coming out of QRP! Thankfully the Boxset is nowhere near to selling out so VMP will be more than happy to give you some replacements!

I will wait to reserve judgment on the noise until I can clean them all and check after cleaning. They're very staticy out right out of the sleeves. But WMD has been thoroughly cleaned and the light tics are still there. Which makes me think what I briefly heard on Flood and Europe 72 is likely on the disc, and those are all clear vinyl too. Again, they're not loud enough to get in the way of the music, but they shouldn't be there at all. The warps on WMD and AB are obviously crap. But yeah at this rate I'm gunna need like 7 discs. Not ideal. Other issue is these tics are light enough that I'm not sure it'll really show up well in a video. So if they don't take my word for it this could be a bit of task getting these replaced.
I suspect they may have a few extra sets laying around...

What really pissed me off is that 11 of the 14 discs were just carelessly jammed into the jackets so that the inner sleeve was completely crunched up and bent to the point where portions of the vinyl was actually outside the sleeves and rubbing against the inside of the jacket. ELEVEN DISCS.
THAT seriously pissed me off.

Like every corner of each inner sleeve looked like this. Brutal.
View attachment 72945
i noticed this issue on my gabor sbazo

maybe QRP is rushing a bit more as of late.

though this might also be the mather curse

i noticed this issue on my gabor sbazo

maybe QRP is rushing a bit more as of late.

though this might also be the mather curse
Same here! My Gábor Szabö sounded perfect and the vinyl was in great condition, but the inner sleeve also had that gold! Happens a lot with QRP inners (albums that QRP press), and it’s annoying but it’s not as bad as receiving vinyl that is in a paper inner sleeve that has no lining!

I always figured it was "up to 7500" just like what they've done with the Herbie box, except this time explicitly stated 'first pressing limited to 1500'. I guess they have a license to print more over a given period.

They would have been insane to print them all at once not to mention massive inventory storage issues.

I can imagine they let the fomo set in after the first run and then pump another run out.

Alternatively I wouldn't put it past them for having simply made a typo on their initial marketing release and just never fixed it. They've done it before...

Mine hasn't moved...

still in "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item" from October 20th

Finally on the move...shocked it was in and out of the Jersey City hub in under 12 hours.

Usually packages sit there for days.

@Mather do you have any of the Rhino or MoFi cuts to compare the sound quality and mastering to? I feel like you have some MoFi but can’t remember if there are any doubles of titles from the box set...
I only have the Mofi of Allah and Mars. I'd say that they sound better, just in terms of dynamics. But they're also 2 LP 45 so I'm not sure that's super surprising. But they're also completely clean of clicks or noise. Which so far this box is not. The box sounds very good for sure (when it's not clicking), but I can't make a direct comparison.

BUT... There is a but... BUT aside from the clear issue with Reckoning keep in mind that I am being HYPER critical here. My system is clinical to a fault and my 2M Black cart is pure evil and lives to torment me by showing me every single thing that's wrong with every record I own. I would guess that from the relatively small amount of tics that I'm hearing that the vast majority of buyers won't have as much of an issue with these as me, if any. I'm holding this to the standard of an Analogue Productions box set, and so far it's failing that test, but I'd wager that if most people took my box set and played it at their house, they wouldn't hear most of the little bits of noise I'm hearing.

Don't buy a 2M Black. Got it

just got mine in and it looks amazing. Huge set, nice booklet, everything looks to be in good condition (so far). This is very likely the last thing I will have bought from VMP. It’s a nice final thing.

One nitpick is about the extra content, namely the podcast. Why the hell are the two hosts two people who essentially don’t know much about the Dead? One only listened to the studio stuff and the other has never listened to them? Such a weird choice of hosts, and honestly makes me think no one at VMP knows anything about the Dead, they just thought ‘hey this’ll be a top seller.’ Oh well, it’s minor but a little...dumb.

I dont mind this at all. As people have criticized multiple times, this seems like a set curated for those who are getting into the dead, so why not have two people who also got into them recently host and interview based on questions other newbies want to know?

Theres plenty of podcasts for those who want to take more of a deep dive through their history.

I dont mind this at all. As people have criticized multiple times, this seems like a set curated for those who are getting into the dead, so why not have two people who also got into them recently host and interview based on questions other newbies want to know?

Theres plenty of podcasts for those who want to take more of a deep dive through their history.

VMP marketing, is that you?

VMP marketing, is that you?

I know it’s the cool thing to hate on everything VMP does, but just trying to give perspective from someone who bought this and found the record choice appealing, since that’s probably who they made the podcast for.

Don’t get me wrong, I get the criticism if this was a box of rarities. But the deep history, discography, live shows, etc are so daunting for the Dead it’s almost overwhelming to know where to start. Ive been a huge music fan for most of my life and have never jumped into the Dead partially for that reason. I like that this is hosted by a couple big music fans who got into them late too. I want questions asked by people like that, as opposed to someone showing off their deep knowledge or asking about random live shows, etc.

I just think it’s what this set was meant for and it fits, even if it’s high cost for an “intro” type set.

I know it’s the cool thing to hate on everything VMP does, but just trying to give perspective from someone who bought this and found the record choice appealing, since that’s probably who they made the podcast for.

Don’t get me wrong, I get the criticism if this was a box of rarities. But the deep history, discography, live shows, etc are so daunting for the Dead it’s almost overwhelming to know where to start. Ive been a huge music fan for most of my life and have never jumped into the Dead as partially for that reason. I like that this is hosted by a couple big music fans who got into them late too. I want questions asked by people like that, as opposed to someone showing off their deep knowledge of asking about random live shows, etc.

I just think it’s what this set was meant for and it fit’s, even if it’s high cost for an “intro” type set.

I think having experts to teach a basic level is maybe a better approach. Keep in mind I work at a university, so I may be biased.

I think having experts to teach a basic level is maybe a better approach. Keep in mind I work at a university, so I may be biased.

Fair enough, It can go either way I suppose. It just depends if you have an expert who can talk in layman’s terms. Ive certainly had professors unable to do that, and some who were incredible.

I just feel like I dont need an expert knowledge, I need a broad overview. And we don’t actually have Storf and Ameliah “teaching” more just guiding the interviews and asking questions. The experts are still the ones doing most of the talking, but I guess we’ll see once I run through it.

I think the set itself is great and helpful for people getting into the Dead. I love it. I just think it’s weird to have people who honestly don’t seem that interested in them doing a podcast about them. Then again I could be wrong cause we haven’t heard anything yet. I just expected a podcast maybe about someone who’s getting into the dead through the box set and someone who is deeper into it and can help guide the other person (and the listeners) on this journey.

Or do an Analyze Phish thing (though they could never recapture that magic).

First disc of Live/Dead disc covered in no fill crackle. Basically I'm getting the same exact issues as the first commenter on Cogs. Not good.
Ugh... sorry to hear this.

I received my tracking number on 10/20, but it appears the package wasn’t accepted into the USPS system until last night and shows a projected delivery of 11/9. I ordered within the first 7 minutes of availability based upon my confirmation email timestamp, yet people around the world have already received their sets. I don’t understand their shipping process...

Back