Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Mine hasn't moved...

still in "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item" from October 20th

Mine hasn't moved...

still in "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item" from October 20th

Dont be surprised if it just suddenly hits your local center. Mine didnt scan upon leaving. Just Preshipment to suddenly at my local center, then at my PO and out for delivery

Mine is surprisingly already out for delivery!
Someone on Hoffman said they had a number in the high 2300's. I know they haven't done this but I've decided to believe that VMP have shipped these in numerical order and they have nearly sold out of them.

And it made me feel much better!

Sitting here listening to my perfect pressing of the RSD Buffalo set waiting on my VMP Anthology. The Buffalo sets sounds amazing, absolute flat, quiet, perfect pressing. Based upon some of the online feedback I am seeing I am getting a little concerned about what things will be like once I get my Anthology opened, cleaned and on the table...

Sitting here listening to my perfect pressing of the RSD Buffalo set waiting on my VMP Anthology. The Buffalo sets sounds amazing, absolute flat, quiet, perfect pressing. Based upon some of the online feedback I am seeing I am getting a little concerned about what things will be like once I get my Anthology opened, cleaned and on the table...
What have you seen?

What have you seen?
It might be the same few people cross posting, but comments on FB, SHF and reddit.
I’m just hyper sensitive to warped and/or noisy vinyl and that seems to be the issues reported.
However, Buffalo sounds great and is a nice distraction. My AB50th swirl from Dead.net should also be here any day now.

It might be the same few people cross posting, but comments on FB, SHF and reddit.
I’m just hyper sensitive to warped and/or noisy vinyl and that seems to be the issues reported.
However, Buffalo sounds great and is a nice distraction. My AB50th swirl from Dead.net should also be here any day now.
Damn, not ideal. I'm spinning AB and WMD tonight. See how those are. I looked through Reddit and Hoffman earlier but couldn't find any comments.

just got mine in and it looks amazing. Huge set, nice booklet, everything looks to be in good condition (so far). This is very likely the last thing I will have bought from VMP. It’s a nice final thing.

One nitpick is about the extra content, namely the podcast. Why the hell are the two hosts two people who essentially don’t know much about the Dead? One only listened to the studio stuff and the other has never listened to them? Such a weird choice of hosts, and honestly makes me think no one at VMP knows anything about the Dead, they just thought ‘hey this’ll be a top seller.’ Oh well, it’s minor but a little...dumb.

just got mine in and it looks amazing. Huge set, nice booklet, everything looks to be in good condition (so far). This is very likely the last thing I will have bought from VMP. It’s a nice final thing.

One nitpick is about the extra content, namely the podcast. Why the hell are the two hosts two people who essentially don’t know much about the Dead? One only listened to the studio stuff and the other has never listened to them? Such a weird choice of hosts, and honestly makes me think no one at VMP knows anything about the Dead, they just thought ‘hey this’ll be a top seller.’ Oh well, it’s minor but a little...dumb.
There are so many good Dead podcasts out there that they really should have switched their format up a bit.

This is my worry for the Herbie Hancock podcasts. They could easily be the best thing for me and could be done really well (I LOVE learning about musicians, albums, and the era they recorded in) BUT if its a similar situation to what you are describing it could also be average. Only time will tell....

This is my worry for the Herbie Hancock podcasts. They could easily be the best thing for me and could be done really well (I LOVE learning about musicians, albums, and the era they recorded in) BUT if its a similar situation to what you are describing it could also be average. Only time will tell....
What you don't want to listen to someone interview Herbie, ask him a question and then go off on a personal tangent for 10 minutes about how he first bought a copy of Head Hunters

Welp, I'm not gunna lie. There's more than a few issues with these Dead pressings on my end. WMD is warped and there's soft tics across Side A. American Beauty sounds great but it's warped too. Reckoning disc one has marks all over it that causes pops. Wake The Flood and Europe 72 Disc 1 and 3 also have frequent light tics. I have not cleaned those two yet so they MIGHT just be static and dirt but... I suspect that's not the case. And there's a printing issue on my Live/Dead jacket, little discoloured spots on the front cover.

So yeah. Not awesome. Am I surprised? Not really, although I thought QRP would do a better job, but maybe it's the colored and clear vinyl that's messing them up. Who knows. I mean they sound very very good, the mastering is on point. And the tics are very minor, but they shouldn't be there. Ultimately I know what I'm getting into when I get in bed with VMP so I can't really be mad at anyone but myself. But yeah, hopefully those of you that bought this will have better luck than me, I mean you guys usually do so maybe all of yours will be perfect. One can hope.

Welp, I'm not gunna lie. There's more than a few issues with these Dead pressings on my end. WMD is warped and there's soft tics across Side A. American Beauty sounds great but it's warped too. Reckoning disc one has marks all over it that causes pops. Wake The Flood and Europe 72 Disc 1 and 3 also have frequent light tics. I have not cleaned those two yet so they MIGHT just be static and dirt but... I suspect that's not the case. And there's a printing issue on my Live/Dead jacket, little discoloured spots on the front cover.

So yeah. Not awesome. Am I surprised? Not really, although I thought QRP would do a better job, but maybe it's the colored and clear vinyl that's messing them up. Who knows. I mean they sound very very good, the mastering is on point. And the tics are very minor, but they shouldn't be there. Ultimately I know what I'm getting into when I get in bed with VMP so I can't really be mad at anyone but myself. But yeah, hopefully those of you that bought this will have better luck than me, I mean you guys usually do so maybe all of yours will be perfect. One can hope.
Fucking hell. You know, law of averages I thought 10% might be iffy so I might have issues with one or two records. Looking at the pictures the boxes they're shipping in look tank proof too. I'm guessing I'm on November's list for delivery so will wait and see but can't help but wonder if the alleged jacket messaround has played a part. It sounds like at least half your set is a bit screwy.

Fucking hell. You know, law of averages I thought 10% might be iffy so I might have issues with one or two records. Looking at the pictures the boxes they're shipping in look tank proof too. I'm guessing I'm on November's list for delivery so will wait and see but can't help but wonder if the alleged jacket messaround has played a part. It sounds like at least half your set is a bit screwy.
I will wait to reserve judgment on the noise until I can clean them all and check after cleaning. They're very staticy out right out of the sleeves. But WMD has been thoroughly cleaned and the light tics are still there. Which makes me think what I briefly heard on Flood and Europe 72 is likely on the disc, and those are all clear vinyl too. Again, they're not loud enough to get in the way of the music, but they shouldn't be there at all. The warps on WMD and AB are obviously crap. But yeah at this rate I'm gunna need like 7 discs. Not ideal. Other issue is these tics are light enough that I'm not sure it'll really show up well in a video. So if they don't take my word for it this could be a bit of task getting these replaced.

What really pissed me off is that 11 of the 14 discs were just carelessly jammed into the jackets so that the inner sleeve was completely crunched up and bent to the point where portions of the vinyl was actually outside the sleeves and rubbing against the inside of the jacket. ELEVEN DISCS.
THAT seriously pissed me off.

Like every corner of each inner sleeve looked like this. Brutal.
20201026_153930.jpg

Last edited:
BUT... There is a but... BUT aside from the clear issue with Reckoning keep in mind that I am being HYPER critical here. My system is clinical to a fault and my 2M Black cart is pure evil and lives to torment me by showing me every single thing that's wrong with every record I own. I would guess that from the relatively small amount of tics that I'm hearing that the vast majority of buyers won't have as much of an issue with these as me, if any. I'm holding this to the standard of an Analogue Productions box set, and so far it's failing that test, but I'd wager that if most people took my box set and played it at their house, they wouldn't hear most of the little bits of noise I'm hearing.

Back