Vinyl Me Please Anthology

First disc of Live/Dead disc covered in no fill crackle. Basically I'm getting the same exact issues as the first commenter on Cogs. Not good.
I was about to type 'I'm starting to feel almost relieved I didn't order this'..... then I remembered that I had. Argh!

At the end of the day mine hasn;t arrived, it may be bang on and if not I'm willing to fight the good fight to get nigh on perfect copies though and I've the time and levels of boredom needed to do it. Let me know how you get on with VMP customer service though.

There had to be a less stressful way to get E72 and Without a Net in the UK than this though.

I think the set itself is great and helpful for people getting into the Dead. I love it. I just think it’s weird to have people who honestly don’t seem that interested in them doing a podcast about them. Then again I could be wrong cause we haven’t heard anything yet. I just expected a podcast maybe about someone who’s getting into the dead through the box set and someone who is deeper into it and can help guide the other person (and the listeners) on this journey.

Or do an Analyze Phish thing (though they could never recapture that magic).
It's actually a bit more than this. The 2011 Rhinos for AB and WMD have become taken out of print, MoFis are super expensive and some people don't want the Plangent step of the 50ths. For me in the UK Europe 72 is prohibitively expensive, Without a Net is scarce too and hasn't been repressed in about 30 years. I'm probably trying to repeatedly justify this purchase but if you are E72 and WaN short, don;t have Reckoning and need one of the other studios (in my case a new American Beauty) then it just (and I mean just) stacks up. But only after VMP threw me a bone first

Honestly at this rate, if they don't send me an entirely new set I'm looking at a charge back for what I've got here.

I'm sorry, I don't want to scare everyone that bought this (all six of us), I'm sure not all the copies are like this. But at least this way you know where the problems may lie so you know what to check first.

Last edited:
It's actually a bit more than this. The 2011 Rhinos for AB and WMD have become taken out of print, MoFis are super expensive and some people don't want the Plangent step of the 50ths. For me in the UK Europe 72 is prohibitively expensive, Without a Net is scarce too and hasn't been repressed in about 30 years. I'm probably trying to repeatedly justify this purchase but if you are E72 and WaN short, don;t have Reckoning and need one of the other studios (in my case a new American Beauty) then it just (and I mean just) stacks up. But only after VMP threw me a bone first
Perhaps for the UK, but in the States you could have created a comparable box for half the price with some patience.

Perhaps for the UK, but in the States you could have created a comparable box for half the price with some patience.
Yup. And its very irritating. The price difference for APs/ MoFis etc is nuts between the US and UK. This box another case in point

This is kinda what I did...I grabbed a MoFi American Beauty (33 rpm), MoFi Workingman’s Dead (45RPM), Japanese press of Live Dead, Day of the Dead box set and Rhino Blues for Allah. Took a lot of patience but I think I spent around $250-$300 total. I fully realize that MoFis in particular are way more expensive outside of the US so I may have gone the VMP route if I didn’t live here.

This is kinda what I did...I grabbed a MoFi American Beauty (33 rpm), MoFi Workingman’s Dead (45RPM), Japanese press of Live Dead, Day of the Dead box set and Rhino Blues for Allah. Took a lot of patience but I think I spent around $300 total. I fully realize that MoFis in particular are way more expensive outside of the US so I may have gone the VMP route if I didn’t live here.
The cheapest I could find a MoFi American Beauty for was £75. Which is what $90? That's an eye bleedingly high price. And even that was 2nd hand. Europe 72, as I've already said elsewhere, would have set me back a cool $161. So I'm in for $250 just for those two if I'd gone the MoFi route. Where as you lot could have had the pair for $110! Bastards!

The cheapest I could find a MoFi American Beauty for was £75. Which is what $90? That's an eye bleedingly high price. And even that was 2nd hand. Europe 72, as I've already said elsewhere, would have set me back a cool $161. So I'm in for $250 just for those two if I'd gone the MoFi route. Where as you lot could have had the pair for $110! Bastards!

Honestly I'm a bit surprised thr VMP box wasn't all picture discs.

Yea that’s crazy. I lucked out and got my MoFi American Beauty (1979 pressing) used but in great condition for around $30 on eBay because the sleeve wasn’t in great shape. But the record sounds great. It took a LOT a of patience though and searching.

Its bad enough that it's coloured vinyl! Whats the matter with black? Apparently the 50th picture disc Anthem of the Sun is a stinker... where as the 2011 is ace
The matter with black is that they think they need a color variant to justify people repurchasing some of the albums. They always add the “you can’t get thus variant anywhere else” FOMO tag on there. Some people think WAN will also get a black vinyl release soon.

The matter with black is that they think they need a color variant to justify people repurchasing some of the albums. They always add the “you can’t get thus variant anywhere else” FOMO tag on there. Some people think WAN will also get a black vinyl release soon.

If there's one thing the Dead people know how do is make money. They will press WAN again, they just might need to run out of weed first.

Yeah, its been 30 years so is probably due one. I thought they may do something with Dead Set this year too after they released the 10/09 and 10/10 Acoustic Warfield sets.

Disc 2 Live/Dead warped. Some tics. Honestly something is different about these pressings, QRP are usually automatic with this stuff, clean quiet pressings, flat, nice smooth rounded corners. These are nothing like that, warped, no fill, random pops, corners aren't rounded and in several cases are actually gouged like this... I don't know why but these are way off from QRP standards.20201101_134804.jpg

Disc 2 Live/Dead warped. Some tics. Honestly something is different about these pressings, QRP are usually automatic with this stuff, clean quiet pressings, flat, nice smooth rounded corners. These are nothing like that, warped, no fill, random pops, corners aren't rounded and in several cases are actually gouged like this... I don't know why but these are way off from QRP standards.View attachment 73029
That's a huge bummer. Getting several discs replaced will be an absolute pain in the ass. To see that it was this ridiculously overpriced with what appears to be no quality control is just awful.

That's a huge bummer. Getting several discs replaced will be an absolute pain in the ass. To see that it was this ridiculously overpriced with what appears to be no quality control is just awful.
Yeah, with this particular bunch of discs that I have here... I'm going to demand a refund. There's too many different things wrong.

Disc 2 Live/Dead warped. Some tics. Honestly something is different about these pressings, QRP are usually automatic with this stuff, clean quiet pressings, flat, nice smooth rounded corners. These are nothing like that, warped, no fill, random pops, corners aren't rounded and in several cases are actually gouged like this... I don't know why but these are way off from QRP standards.View attachment 73029
So I buy a lot of albums from Acoustic Sounds because I live 150 miles from their place and basically audiophile records show up next day. I've run into a lot of problems with QRP pressings. Noise, warps, labels covering run out grooves, off gassing from old poly sleeves, jackets where the glue has separated. They always make good on it, but QRP does produce less than stellar records. Granted my sample size isn't enormous. I'd say they are batting .200 out of 10 or 15 albums. It happens to all pressing plants at some point. Bet they were in a hurry with this GD pressing, hence the issues.

Back