Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I was thinking the same thing. Really lays bare how much of an insane price gouge they put on it. They should be the same price as the Rhinos. Add a little for the box sure, but if Rhino did it, it would probably be cheaper than buying them all single.
According to what I can find Bellman did the Rhino Remasters of the first four albums in the set, and has never done any of the second four. So I would ASSUME the first four are existing Rhino masters. BUT totally guessing here.

According to what I can find Bellman did the Rhino Remasters of the first four albums in the set, and has never done any of the second four. So I would ASSUME the first four are existing Rhino masters. BUT totally guessing here.
That makes sense because Without A Net hasn't been touched since 1990 (and by the way, it is not AAA, it was recorded digitally IIRC) and the others were reissued at different times than the first four in the set.

Wouldn't be surprised if it is similar to the Zamrock anthology and that note about CB only applies to some. If I were buying this for $450, I'd want some confirmation of who cut each one and the source. Would be nice if anyone could have enough confidence in them to take them at their word.

Wouldn't be surprised if it is similar to the Zamrock anthology and that note about CB only applies to some. If I were buying this for $450, I'd want some confirmation of who cut each one and the source. Would be nice if anyone could have enough confidence in them to take them at their word.
Well apparently (I didn't see it) there was a you tube video of Bellman mastering one of them and referring to the box set so he's likely doing new ones of some of them, again, my guess being the final four that he's never done before (to my knowledge).

The site says all are AAA except for Without A Net since it was recorded digitally. With Zamrock it seemed like a lazy copy and paste situation from all of the other anthologies so far. They could be lying about the Dead box too...it’s also disingenuous to make it seem like these are new remasters...

FWIW, VMP isn’t the only place being shady about these details. Some of the ELO reissues in the past few years said something like “sources from the original analogue masters” but people found out later that they were actually digitally sourced from analogue masters and cut with the digital remaster.

Well apparently (I didn't see it) there was a you tube video of Bellman mastering one of them and referring to the box set so he's likely doing new ones of some of them, again, my guess being the final four that he's never done before (to my knowledge).
It says all 8 were done by Bellman, so if the last 4 weren’t originally done by him, they are now it seems.

FWIW, VMP isn’t the only place being shady about these details. Some of the ELO reissues in the past few years said something like “sources from the original analogue masters” but people found out later that they were actually digitally sourced from analogue masters and cut with the digital remaster.
Oh, I know, that's gone on forever. That's why I prefer it to be crystal clear. If VMP wants to price their products like AP, they need to give a lot more details on source and cutting info IMO.

It says all 8 were done by Bellman, so if the last 4 weren’t originally done by him, they are now it seems.
Yep, my point was... I want to know if the first 4 albums are simply represses of the inexpensive RTI pressed Rhino 2011ish albums that Bellman already mastered.

Oh, I know, that's gone on forever. That's why I prefer it to be crystal clear. If VMP wants to price their products like AP, they need to give a lot more details on source and cutting info IMO.
100% agree. It’s crazy that people here pointed out that you could get MoFis of most of the studio albums in the box for cheaper than VMP’s crazy pricing. I ended up offering $30 today for a MoFi of American Beauty that just got accepted so hopefully it arrives in good shape...I’m on a bit of an older MoFi kick now and seemed like a good pressing to grab as my first hard copy of a Dead record. I might search for some others based on recs here too depending on how this one sounds but I’ve been spinning a bunch of MoFis with my new cartridge and they just sound so good. Especially earlier MoFi pressings.

Yep, my point was... I want to know if the first 4 albums are simply represses of the inexpensive RTI pressed Rhino 2011ish albums that Bellman already mastered.
Yea —but are the Rhino versions on cool colored vinyl that’s totally groovy?? I’m assuming they are the same masters as those. As @BjorgenFjorgen says, makes no sense for them to remaster them again so soon when the reviews have been so good.

vmp said:

I1eVnNQ.jpg

Was excited for this as my first anthology and then saw the price 😆😂 yeah I’m out.

I’d like to consider the following my own personal grateful dead anthology (along with a few Dick’s Picks CDs and a shit ton of downloads).

Also I did not pay $450 for it (or even a small fraction thereof)DF7A6A6A-33CC-41DA-8D6F-04B816240E1C.jpeg

P.S. I’m embarrassed to say this but I threw out shakedown and go to heaven a few years ago because I wasn’t listening to them at the time. Idiot. 🤦‍♂️

Which part?
The part about him having some problems getting into them, especially when some of their "Best" stuff that a fan/your buddy would recommend is actually very hard to get into at first without some perspective. I am very familiar with Live/Dead, Europe 72, but have honestly never listened to Reckoning. On my "to do" list now - thanks!

The part about him having some problems getting into them, especially when some of their "Best" stuff that a fan/your buddy would recommend is actually very hard to get into at first without some perspective. I am very familiar with Live/Dead, Europe 72, but have honestly never listened to Reckoning. On my "to do" list now - thanks!

Cool. Let me know what you think. This is the Jerry show I mentioned sending him.

Also, for anyone in the UK that likes the Reckoning stuff and didn't scoop this Warfield show on RSD, this is a pretty great deal. Brand new and sealed for £14.99

Back