Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Well said and agree. I'd love to get this box if it were $100 less expensive. I'm building the box on my own with a mix of Rhinos, Mofis, and originals. Right now I found 6/8 records for about 180. I'll probably stop here and pick up the last two someday if I really want them.

Thanks to VMP for putting this box set together for me!
Great choice!

I think Herbie will be similar to Blue Note or Zamrock. $300 or so with a $50 Presale discount and maybe an additional previous subscriber bonus. Zamrock was $220 I think after the discounts? And was BN $250? I kinda forget now even though it only came out a year ago.
But if they sold the numbers and prices I suggested, they would have 6 million bucks!

In all seriousness, I'd say that this wasn't the right direction. The GD Anthology is, I hate to say this, insulting as a huge fan of the Dead upon reflection. 450 bucks for what is essentially a starter pack? I can't even.

I feel like VMP saw Deadheads as an easy mark and were like, we will give them pretty colors and we will make the money we need to make to get through the current situation. It just feels exploitative.

As to the Herbie anthology, I have even less confidence that it will be done right or reasonably priced after seeing what they did with the Dead.

My whole opinion of this, which doesn't matter, is that VMP is struggling financially from the COVID fallout. Expected shipping is summer 2020 with a notice about possible delays. If this sold out that's a nice 3million they just got. On top of that they offered the $50 promo code to expire in 24hrs to further strike into the hearts of FOMO, I don't recall that being done with the others, so I may be wrong on that.

I also find it funny they announced doing something with Herbie right after Zamrock and then went this direction, IMO thinking Deadheads would be more susceptible to this type of Cash-grab. And to put icing on the cake, $450 to discover a band is outrageous, I love vinyl but I can't ever get behind making music inaccessible to a certain set of people. It further confirms my beliefs that VMP is not in this for the music, they are in it only for the money. Lastly, I love Avery Tare but why do I need to have his opinion of some band other than Animal Collective? Seriously, he could talk to me all day about AC.

On that note enjoy the FOMO, and enjoy letting VMP know that they can get away with this. Especially during a pandemic, your $$$ means more than anything right now, I'd rather see you reach out to your local shop and order $450 worth of merch from them, but then again it's your money support whoever you want.

☮🕊
While I agree with you on some points, there’s absolutely no way they conjured this box set up after announcing Herbie. They announced Herbie because it was his birthday and nothing more. This box set has to have been in the works for awhile. It takes time to get contracts together especially with a band as big as the Dead and I’m guessing these records are already plated. The reason for summer delays are because of COVID manufacturing being slow plus lacquers being in demand/short supply after the lacquer fire.

I actually think VMP is doing very well during COVID. Fiedler did that interview with Fortune or whatever magazine it was and they are still selling a LOT. While a good amount of people have lost their jobs, many have also purchased way more vinyl lately because they are at home more now.

All the sales from VMP are to cut costs of inventory piling up. Same with the 3 for the price of 2 deal. They are adding capital and cutting overhead. Ironically, something like this box set is what could bankrupt them. I don’t think many of these have sold at all so far. Would be interesting to do a stock check although I wouldn’t put it past VMP to lower inventory to make it look like they sold more.

But if they sold the numbers and prices I suggested, they would have 6 million bucks!

In all seriousness, I'd say that this wasn't the right direction. The GD Anthology is, I hate to say this, insulting as a huge fan of the Dead upon reflection. 450 bucks for what is essentially a starter pack? I can't even.

I feel like VMP saw Deadheads as an easy mark and were like, we will give them pretty colors and we will make the money we need to make to get through the current situation. It just feels exploitative.

As to the Herbie anthology, I have even less confidence that it will be done right or reasonably priced after seeing what they did with the Dead.
I understand the album selection if the price wasn’t $450. Instead of choosing a direction and demographic, they tried to please the people trying to get into the dead while also giving one rarity for the completionists. It’s stupid. At the same time, the Dead probably provides the albums to choose from and it doesn’t make sense for them to give VMP super rare stuff they can just sell themselves.

I have more faith in Herbie’s if he is involved in curating. Herbie also has more studio albums that are in need of repressed as far as I’m aware.

While I agree with you on some points, there’s absolutely no way they conjured this box set up after announcing Herbie. They announced Herbie because it was his birthday and nothing more. This box set has to have been in the works for awhile. It takes time to get contracts together especially with a band as big as the Dead and I’m guessing these records are already plated. The reason for summer delays are because of COVID manufacturing being slow plus lacquers being in demand/short supply after the lacquer fire.

I actually think VMP is doing very well during COVID. Fiedler did that interview with Fortune or whatever magazine it was and they are still selling a LOT. While a good amount of people have lost their jobs, many have also purchased way more vinyl lately because they are at home more now.

All the sales from VMP are to cut costs of inventory piling up. Same with the 3 for the price of 2 deal. They are adding capital and cutting overhead. Ironically, something like this box set is what could bankrupt them. I don’t think many of these have sold at all so far. Would be interesting to do a stock check although I wouldn’t put it past VMP to lower inventory to make it look like they sold more.
Great points, I wasn't meaning to come off as this is something they just threw together and more of a do we go big now and announce 6 as dead and 7 as herbie, and went with dead because of the larger following.

Makes sense that with more people being home and spending less on other forms of entertainment vinyl would be going up, I mean I sure as hell bought a lot more than I was planning on.

It will be interesting to see how this goes and if this pricing point sticks around

I understand the album selection if the price wasn’t $450. Instead of choosing a direction and demographic, they tried to please the people trying to get into the dead while also giving one rarity for the completionists. It’s stupid. At the same time, the Dead probably provides the albums to choose from and it doesn’t make sense for them to give VMP super rare stuff they can just sell themselves.

I have more faith in Herbie’s if he is involved in curating. Herbie also has more studio albums that are in need of repressed as far as I’m aware.

That's pretty much how it looks to me, too

Great points, I wasn't meaning to come off as this is something they just threw together and more of a do we go big now and announce 6 as dead and 7 as herbie, and went with dead because of the larger following.

Makes sense that with more people being home and spending less on other forms of entertainment vinyl would be going up, I mean I sure as hell bought a lot more than I was planning on.

It will be interesting to see how this goes and if this pricing point sticks around
I don’t know if I’m more baffled by the price or the pressing amount. It’s crazy to go from 1,000 copies of anthology that don’t sell out and then think that the right move is to make it 7,500 and raise the price by $150 during a global pandemic hah. I really think this would have sold out this week priced at $300 and limited to 2k pressings. I would have bought it. The idea that they think they will sell 3 million in Dead records at this point is ignorant at best and arrogant and completely out of touch at worst. The pricing is something Lucille Bluth would think up.

Part of me thinks this price tag won’t stick around and they are milking having the Dead Head fan base as a built in buyer. I’d be really surprised if Herbie is $450 list price for 8 albums.

As for what I think you said earlier about VMP caring about the money, of course they do. It’s all about the bottom line now. They have investors. People think they were working up to having an IPO at some point. I wouldn’t be shocked if that’s their end goal, or for some other company to buy them out. It’s purely about money now which is why they have amped up their shady tactics. It’s why I quit my membership. I’m not rooting for them to fail at al either. If they got their shit together it would be great still. But with them still selling a ton of product and having a lot of members and people sticking by them despite the poor service, they probably don’t see much of a need to change.

Them cornering the international market is the smartest thing they ever did business-wise. It’s still way cheaper for people to order through them internationally than it is to order from elsewhere.

Haha I have a friend that the story of your brother reminds me of (sort of). We call my friend Hot Take Kyle. He makes broad generalizations especially with pop culture/music, without ever knowing much about the topic. He said he absolutely hated Drake, which, fair enough. Not even 2 minutes later I see him dancing along to a song and he asked us who it was and of course it was Drake. This happens with him all the time haha.

I can definitely see how people think they won’t like Grateful Dead having only listened to one era or one album of theirs (or never having listened to it). But I’ve been in a 60’s/70’s rock listening mood lately and going through Neil Young’s catalogue. He’s another guy I was but unsure of how to approach with such a huge repertoire and number of live albums but people on here have helped point me in the right direction and I’m enjoying it thoroughly. Someone posted the Day of the Dead box set the other day as part of the May Challenge thread and I’ve been loving it. Thought the Dead would be another band to tackle after Neil and enjoying that too so far. Now I have a ton of recommendations from y’all and am excited to dig in more. I’m a bit relieved that The VMP box is so far out of reach for me. I can curate by own box of sorts and buy a mix of a few studio albums and live albums after taking the time to listen to everything.

I used to know this one guy way back in the day, who was fucking terrible. He loved the Dead, but was an elitist hippie kid. Last I heard, he was some sort of cornball DJ. I remember he came over to a friends house where I had moved in and taken over his old room. This was probably like 1999, so it wasn't really "cool" for him to like rap music, at the time -- it was all Dead, Phish, and SCI boots where they play Old & In The Way Songs. Probably also Bela Fleck, etc. Meanwhile, we were bumping a lot of Rawkus shit in our house along with dubbing show bootlegs.

Anyway... this dude comes over and tries to lecture us about how rap music sucks, other than maybe A Tribe Called Quest. That's what's acceptable. Those guys are the exception, but he wasn't down with the wack shit we were playing in our own home. We were listening to Midnight Marauders.

Last edited:
Just looking at the details on this. Chris Bellman did all the Rhino Remasters from 2011 at BG Mastering, which is the same thing this box set is advertising... are we to assume these are simply those same masters? But pressed at QRP instead of RTI?
I was thinking the same thing. Really lays bare how much of an insane price gouge they put on it. They should be the same price as the Rhinos. Add a little for the box sure, but if Rhino did it, it would probably be cheaper than buying them all single.

Back