Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I think it's probably easier for everyone if it's posted here but under the spoiler tag. If you aren't familiar with how that works, you can just modify the text in the attached image below.

[NAME OF THE FIRST RECORD]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 4.19.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 4.19.48 PM.png
    16 KB · Views: 73
Yeah I dont know if USPS itself really works that way once it gets to the facility. That would more be something VMP has to do themselves from their own warehouse (I could be wrong).

I know JC facility is a huge one and they get backed up easily when large quantities come through. Usually its just during December but lately I've had alot of packages delayed a day or two there when it used to mean I was getting it the next day.
Mine left NJ yesterday. I'd guess I could get it tomorrow, Monday more likely. I'm in Philly so it's not a long trip! No estimated arrival though.
Just got mine in. This box is a heavy, beautifully thing and was well packed. I like how they packages the “episodes” as well. Much better implementation than last time
Got mine yesterday. Haven't had a chance to do a deep dive yet but, initial impressions are very, very favorable. Absolutely beautiful. I couldn't wait to open all the "episodes." Just wanted to make sure everything was there and no record, print mix-ups. Waiting on a new needle for my turntable to arrive in the mail so, I can't wait to start spinning these and see how they did with the most important part, the music. In terms of packaging and design, a monumental improvement over the BN box. Will have to see if anyone else reports on mistakes, etc. All positive for me at this point, though.

ugh mine left the same facility at the same time, been "in transit" for 5 days now, and still NO estimated delivery date - I'm in SC, so not that far from point of departure in USPS terms.

Never had this issue (lack of updates and estimates) on a VMP delivery in 4+ years. So odd. Hoping for delivery today - working from home!

ugh mine left the same facility at the same time, been "in transit" for 5 days now, and still NO estimated delivery date - I'm in SC, so not that far from point of departure in USPS terms.

Never had this issue (lack of updates and estimates) on a VMP delivery in 4+ years. So odd. Hoping for delivery today - working from home!

I'm in lower NY so Jersey City is only about an hour from me. Even still I didnt have an "estimated" delivery date until it arrived at my local post office. First time I can remember that happening.

I'm in lower NY so Jersey City is only about an hour from me. Even still I didnt have an "estimated" delivery date until it arrived at my local post office. First time I can remember that happening.

Thanks for confirming its not just me!

Others in the WM forum got theirs, seems like I'm due. Fingers crossed!

Just got my update, out for delivery today. The estimate didn't appear until day of delivery for some reason, don't despair it's coming.

I'm teetering on which route I want to take. I liked knowing them all last time and dread waiting to open something damaged later that should be replaced asap, but since its a weekly cadence now, the slow reveal is finally appealing.

Yeah thats my main issue. I have no problem waiting and going with the experience but last time my Horace Silver was damaged and took forever to finally get a replacement. Dont want that to happen again, as that ruins the experience more than knowing the albums in advance.

Okay, as predicted, it's here! And my initial TLDR thoughts are: the packaging blows anthology1 out of the water.

So it arrives in a custom mailer with foam inserts to protect it, just like most audio gear:

IMG_20191007_142216.jpg

The outside of the box has VMP branding and Women of Motown on there too, which is kinda neat, but still going in the trash.

It comes with that info "welcome" card, a VMP Anthology sticker, and a WM logo sticker. Cool.

Opening it up:

IMG_20191007_142236.jpg

IMG_20191007_142308.jpg

IMG_20191007_142320.jpg

IMG_20191007_142326.jpg

The box is SUPER nice. Comes with some foil stamping although numbering is still by hand.

When you open it up, you're greeted with a larger info card and the beginning of the liner notes. Episode 1 is unwrapped (three records) and totally visible. If you want to be totally surprised, don't open the box at all! I personally don't mind though.

The records themselves are very comparable to the BN versions and the Classics in terms of quality. Each sleeve is individually foil stamped, a nice touch, and the liner notes are on printed on heavy cardstock with an image of the performers on the flip side. My only disappointment is, the images are kind of low quality.... they actually don't look great at all. I was looking forward to these and am pretty let down. They printed them on the "rough" matte side instead of on the glossy side, which would make WAY more sense if you're going for something frame-worthy. Of the three, I think only one is even close to being frame-quality, and fortunately it's the one I really did want. But I don't know, kind of let down there. Love the idea but the execution stinks. I'll post picture of those when the first episode is released or maybe I can post them sooner with spoiler tags if anyone wants it.

I did notice that two of my three QRP inner sleeves were pretty mangled/smashed from being shoved into the sleeve. I hope that didn't cause any audible scratching. I just replaced them with some Mofis, no huge deal, but annoying.

There is a cool members-only little microsite with some Motown extras. Not a ton on there yet, we'll see what they do with it.

Okay, that's pretty much it. I'm looking forward to this. I'm going to try and play along as best I can, which means 3 days until I actually "unbox" this officially!

The question that's going to linger throughout all of this is, is the price worth it? Right now, I'm on the fence, leaning yes... ish. Speakers Corner or Pure Pleasure reissues tend to go for ~35 a piece, which is comparable to what these cost. The packaging is arguable better than either label, but who knows about the sound... and it is all Motown, so. Personally I'm pretty convinced this is going to be much better than Antho1.

ps, Also, this is totally off topic, but... does anyone else hate their company name? It's always bugged me... "Vinyl Me, Please" is just such a dumb name. I always kinda cringe when I see it on boxes... Sorry just always gotta have something to hate, I guess.

My only disappointment is, the images are kind of low quality.... they actually don't look great at all.

I did notice that two of my three QRP inner sleeves were pretty mangled/smashed from being shoved into the sleeve. I hope that didn't cause any audible scratching. I just replaced them with some Mofis, no huge deal, but annoying.

Episode 1 is unwrapped (three records) and totally visible. If you want to be totally surprised, don't open the box at all!
These will probably be the big oofs

Back