Vinyl Me Please Anthology

still not on the anthology train yet (not just because im broke but because of a lack of knowlege of motown... i almost went to the motown musical but i was so embarassed to be into musicals that i decided not to go because hey i was just discovering my identity and i thought theatre was only for ladies and gay guys).

it is very cool that they are specifically doing a compilation all about the women of motown, hopefully including some forgotten gems,

as for the price, i think at about 25 bucks a record (8 albums, pressed at QRP, deluxe liner notes) is perfectly fine for this pressing, though if it is more than 200 or at least 220 then thats a complete scam because motown is NOT blue note, they are popular and important but you dont need to pay 300 bucks (and since this is 2 more LPs than blue note i have the sad hunch they will do about that price).

we at least now know syreetas debut is one of the records being sent.. the other ones we dunno (im guessing maybe some diana ross, maybe some mary wells, and probably a bit of erykah badu for a "modern" pic)

Those two had very similar behavior on the FB group. Not surprising he can't figure out why people didn't like Jazzbo.
[/QUOTE
Those two had very similar behavior on the FB group. Not surprising he can't figure out why people didn't like Jazzbo.
I barely participated in the FB group, it was kind of annoying. Nice try though.

I barely participated in the FB group, it was kind of annoying. Nice try though.

It was like 95% made up of one or two people humblebragging about the vinyl they have, and the other 5% was discussion about the latest VMP mistake...even if I wasn't passing on the box this time, I'd definitely be passing on the Facebook group.

It was like 95% made up of one or two people humblebragging about the vinyl they have, and the other 5% was discussion about the latest VMP mistake...even if I wasn't passing on the box this time, I'd definitely be passing on the Facebook group.
Yeah it was weird, there was really no discussion, just pics of random records people were playing...and sometimes the same record over and over again from that one older guy. And then it became guys demanding refunds and apologies, people making fun of those guys, etc. etc.

VMP's lack of involvement other than creating the group led to it floundering right out of the gate.

For AAA Motown, I would pay up to $30/album, so with the "extras" (which I don't care about but which they will use to justify charging more) I will strongly consider this if it is priced at $250.

But, I didn't follow the issues surrounding the BN Anthology. Was it a shit show? I love Motown but I don't want to drop that kind of coin if they don't have their shit together.

Just catching up with this thread...

But warning to everyone: Don't factor "extras" into your decision-making. The "extras" for the BN anthology were straight up bullshit. Make your decision based on the records,

I'm probably going to fucking buy this and I already loathe myself for it.

So damn hilarious I get a mistakenly sent, second Dexter Calling replacement* the day this email goes out. Almost like the universe is telling me to stay away, never forget ahaha. But this is damn tempting.

Last night, the universe told me to check discogs listings for the first anthology, and I was thrilled to be able to purchase the anthology Lou Donaldson record (which was the main one that I wanted from the first Anthology) on its own for $38. Thank you to whoever that seller is, if you're on here!

And now the universe is telling me that I should follow my instincts and just wait for the podcasts to be posted on spotify later for free and wait for the albums I want to be posted individually on discogs later, so I can pay a reasonable price for only the records that I actually want.

I really dig the Women of Motown logo at the end of the video.

It's not often I get excited about a logo, but when it popped up, I thought 'WOW, that's freaking awesome', love it! As for the anthology itself, soul is right up my alley, but I don't think I can commit to it and am sure it will be overpriced so I'll probably sit it out.

Last night, the universe told me to check discogs listings for the first anthology, and I was thrilled to be able to purchase the anthology Lou Donaldson record (which was the main one that I wanted from the first Anthology) on its own for $38. Thank you to whoever that seller is, if you're on here!

And now the universe is telling me that I should follow my instincts and just wait for the podcasts to be posted on spotify later for free and wait for the albums I want to be posted individually on discogs later, so I can pay a reasonable price for only the records that I actually want.
The weird thing about this one compared to blue note is that you might be able to get great condition original presses for less than you payed for that Donaldson record, depending on what albums they choose.

It was seriously one of my most stressful times as a mod. Like, who the fuck does this guy thinks he is? Ugh, so much drama

Yeah I can’t imagine it was fun doing that job. The two things I remember vividly were a few of us inviting him to the “new members introducing themselves section” and being nice and that not halting him and then after he was banned the video absolutely panning VMP and the way they ran their forums. Funnily enough that was rapidly taken down!

Personally I’d love a nice AAA of Diana by Diana Ross. Might be alone in my love there, and I know it’s a $5 record, but hey I want to hear the best possible version. And it covers a style of music outside of the core Motown sound from the golden era.

Those $5 copies are AAA and sound great (when they're in good condition)! ;)

I would LOVE to have an AAA release of the original Chic mixes of Diana, though.

I love mowtown and I love the idea of these records but I don’t trust VMP to pull it off and it’s going to be way overpriced. While mowtown is worth infinitely more to me as a music fan than blue note ever could the reality is that mowtown records are not expensive to buy new and there are lots of second hand ones out there. The price of the Anthology has to reflect this, I don’t think it will. That and the whole different artists’ albums in the same box offending my filing ocd...

Back