Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I'm going to give props where props are due. I love that they went this angle - the women of Motown. I actually hadn't even thought of that idea. Well done, VMP. Now don't mess up the pressings!

Yeah me too. For a company whose ROTM and Anthology roster this year has been such an enormous sausage fest this is pretty welcome! That said I’m still not buying into the whole Anthology concept, I’ll wait and see what the albums are and pick up the ones that sound the most interesting!

On one hand - I'd love to support an idea / theme like this.
On the other - I cringe to think what VMP thinks is an appropriate price for a box set of eight records. Plus, with their track record at the moment, it's just too hard for me personally to put my trust in them to deliver a quality product on time.
It sucks because this is a good idea. I just can't shake the feeling they'll botch it. 😕

Yeah me too. For a company whose ROTM and Anthology roster this year has been such an enormous sausage fest this is pretty welcome! That said I’m still not buying into the whole Anthology concept, I’ll wait and see what the albums are and pick up the ones that sound the most interesting!
On one hand - I'd love to support an idea / theme like this.
On the other - I cringe to think what VMP thinks is an appropriate price for a box set of eight records. Plus, with their track record at the moment, it's just too hard for me personally to put my trust in them to deliver a quality product on time.
It sucks because this is a good idea. I just can't shake the feeling they'll botch it. 😕
Oh there is no way in heck I'm buying this. At all. Doesn't matter the price to me. If any of it tempts me, I'll wait for the warps and replacements to start going out and cobble together what I want like @Mather did. And since they will release podcasts at a later date, if those interest me, I'll wait. I have a ton of Motown as it is. I don't think I'm the target audience. I think this is more for those unfamiliar with Motown.

But it is great that they went with women. Just awesome!

So any guesses as to what will be in here?

I think The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go is likely, considering it is a well thought of LP and I think I heard it during the video.

I think given her importance it’s not out of the question that there would be both a supremes record and a Diana Ross solo one.

You’d imagine records by Gladys Knight and the Pips and Martha and the Vandellas would have to be in the equation too.

For AAA Motown, I would pay up to $30/album, so with the "extras" (which I don't care about but which they will use to justify charging more) I will strongly consider this if it is priced at $250.

But, I didn't follow the issues surrounding the BN Anthology. Was it a shit show? I love Motown but I don't want to drop that kind of coin if they don't have their shit together.

For AAA Motown, I would pay up to $30/album, so with the "extras" (which I don't care about but which they will use to justify charging more) I will strongly consider this if it is priced at $250.

But, I didn't follow the issues surrounding the BN Anthology. Was it a shit show? I love Motown but I don't want to drop that kind of coin if they don't have their shit together.

Mono records with stereo labels, cd scan artwork, wrong artwork, booklet in and envelope so creased as hell. So all in all, yeah, it was a shit show!

This is super tempting. What do people think about going into this blind? I have no Motown records mind you, but I am super hesitant to buy into something that I may not wind up enjoying.
I hate buying things blind and it is, in my opinion, the stupidest thing about these anthologies.

Mono records with stereo labels, cd scan artwork, wrong artwork, booklet in and envelope so creased as hell. So all in all, yeah, it was a shit show!

As an outside observer to the debacle my "favorite" part was when the first packages arrived and the one LP was actually the CD artwork, and VMP straight up lied to their customers about it.

They first said that they searched and searched and tried to find an OG copy to source the art from but couldn't and that BN didn't have it. Then suddenly, after enough people complained, they suddenly had access to the actual LP artwork and sent everyone new sleeves.

Here's Storfer's response to my Q on Reddit asking what the 8 titles were: "You'll find out answers on Thursday when it goes live, my man, I'm not gonna spoil anything."

As the feedback many of us gave VMP was please tell us the titles in advance, I can only assume they haven't listened to any feedback, so be prepared for the set to be $280, and a FB group moderated by the Vinyl Junkies idiot. Smh.

Last edited:
Back