Vintage Equipment

Vintage electronics cleanup tips...
Cleaned up, removed tarnish buildup, and shined up the front (even glass) of my vintage McIntosh receiver this weekend. Years ago a old tech taught me to use plain ole Turtle car wax paste but I was out. Went to the auto store and they did not have it so tried McGuiar's and seemed to work ok. I just used a hand mit duster and then two light coats of lemon oil on the wood case. Not bad for 1967! 😊

View attachment 113989
updated system photo's here:

Just picked up my first vintage gear today a Marantz 2238b receiver and Kenwood KA-8100 Integrated w/ a Kenwood Tuner along for the ride. The receiver and integrated have been recapped. The Marantz needs bulbs and I was hoping for guidance on modifications allowing for banana plugs.

Just picked up my first vintage gear today a Marantz 2238b receiver and Kenwood KA-8100 Integrated w/ a Kenwood Tuner along for the ride. The receiver and integrated have been recapped. The Marantz needs bulbs and I was hoping for guidance on modifications allowing for banana plugs.
I would suggest banana to speaker pins like these

or you could do something like this
Amazon product ASIN B08PV8L6NC

Just make sure they are is not alot of stress on the pins and there not junk made out of scrap metal.

Changing lamps is not as easy as you would hope but here is a good guide for Marantz units.

Last edited:
Sweet! I have a Kenwood KA-9100 that was the heart and soul of my main system for many years and it’s a beast. (It now feeds my hi-if setup in my work area.). Enjoy!

AA5F731A-AEDF-4DB2-9FD2-137DBE37561A.jpeg

Love the looks of those old Kenwoods! My dad had one back in the day, wish we had held on to it.
Built like tanks, made and designed for vinyl, and once re-capped and gone over by a competent tech likely to last another lifetime. Much of that vintage generation tbh.

Last edited:
View attachment 116240

Finally getting a chance to try out my Marantz 2270 receiver that I just got refurbished. I only have powered speakers at the moment so I am using the pre-out rca outputs. The right mono button is very sticky but everything else is looking great.
Nice! you can polish that front panel up with a dab of light car wax and a jewelry cloth. Careful not to scratch the glass.

If anyone is happening to be looking for a lamp kit for their vintage gear Dave is a great source for original lamps or led conversion kits.

Thought I'd provide a quick update on some of my recent listening experiences with the Sony 2251 w/SME 3009 S2 Improved.. I picked up a Nagaoka MP500 to use alongside the Shure v15 III w/Jico SAS. it's been about 4-5 weeks now, and I switch the cart each Sunday...

I'm breaking in a new phono stage as well, whose adjustability has been very helpful with this endeavor. But there could be some more break in time needed for both the carts and the stage so want to point that out, but at this point, on this table, the Shure/Jico SAS combo just sounds better in every regard to my ears. It's so dynamic, pulls in lots of detail, and tracks perfectly with zero distortion. Every time I switch back to the MP500, I hope that I'm going to hear something that I didn't before.. and it just hasn't materialized.

I'm going to keep doing this through the new year to see if anything changes, but at this point I'm thinking I might try the Nagaoka on the P6 as a replacement for the Ania.. but not sure it will beat that out either, and I'd need a 2mm spacer it seems... I'm super impressed with the Ania.

No matter what.. i'm enjoying the heck out of the process!

Hi Guys. I'm back at my parents for Christmas and decided to dig out the first record player I had, my dads (and his dads) Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1001. It's a fantastic machine but years ago the belt slipped and my task (as easy as it sounds) is to realign it or replace it. The problem is that the metal shell encompasses the belt so it's tricky to get to. I'm going to attempt to get at it which potentially is as easy as removing a few screws.

I thought I might check in on here first to see if anyone has had experience with this player and if so are there any tips/tricks worth knowing?

IMG_2248.JPG

Hi Guys. I'm back at my parents for Christmas and decided to dig out the first record player I had, my dads (and his dads) Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1001. It's a fantastic machine but years ago the belt slipped and my task (as easy as it sounds) is to realign it or replace it. The problem is that the metal shell encompasses the belt so it's tricky to get to. I'm going to attempt to get at it which potentially is as easy as removing a few screws.

I thought I might check in on here first to see if anyone has had experience with this player and if so are there any tips/tricks worth knowing?

View attachment 122290
Have not seen one before @Selaws but looks groovy!

Not much info on this model online unfortunately, I did find the Owners @ Service manuals:

Last edited:
Back