Vintage Equipment

Loving the Sony so much that I picked up an SME 3009 III to replace the stock arm. Yes, I know the 3009 III is the red headed stepchild of the SME line, but I am completely thrilled with the Shure V15 III and its a perfect match for the arm.

JICO SAS stylus arriving this week as well so hoping to get it all mounted in the next week or so and will report back.

Loving the Sony so much that I picked up an SME 3009 III to replace the stock arm. Yes, I know the 3009 III is the red headed stepchild of the SME line, but I am completely thrilled with the Shure V15 III and its a perfect match for the arm.

JICO SAS stylus arriving this week as well so hoping to get it all mounted in the next week or so and will report back.
Congrats! I’ve been doing lots of cartridge/arm/turntable research lately with my new addition coming.

Lots aren’t aware- SAS, Microline, Microridge - are all the same. What it’s called just depends on what brand you are dealing with.

Congrats! I’ve been doing lots of cartridge/arm/turntable research lately with my new addition coming.

Lots aren’t aware- SAS, Microline, Microridge - are all the same. What it’s called just depends on what brand you are dealing with.
Ya, I'm currently running the V15 III with the VN35HE (hyper elliptical) and am looking forward to seeing how the SAS/microline stylus effects the sound.. will likely run it on the current tonearm for a while to get a base comparison.

Have you settled on/narrowed down some cart choices? The ART 9 is on my short list if I end up with the G...

Have you settled on/narrowed down some cart choices? The ART 9 is on my short list if I end up with the G...
I’m narrowing down. I really liked the Hana MH (although I’d get the ML). Right now, I’ve got an Ortofon Quintet Black S, which I also really like. A different presentation than the Hana but equally attractive. Think filet mignon vs porterhouse. I wouldn’t turn my nose up at either one.

I’ve never seen a bad word about the A/T ART9 anywhere. That’s a rarity in this hobby. In fact, I’m the one the turned Avanti1960 on to the A/T over at SHF which started a very lengthy thread.

Ultimately, the A/T won’t fit my needs. I plan to have 2 “identical” cartridges- one mono, one stereo. So if I went Ortofon for example I’d go Quintet Black S for stereo, and a Quintet Mono. Same weight, height, tracking force between the two. If mounted on identical head shells (already purchased) I can switch between the two without changing any settings. A/T offers no mono equivalent to the ART9.

Another option would be a pair of wood bodied Grados, that would work. But I’ll likely go another direction this time.

I’m narrowing down. I really liked the Hana MH (although I’d get the ML). Right now, I’ve got an Ortofon Quintet Black S, which I also really like. A different presentation than the Hana but equally attractive. Think filet mignon vs porterhouse. I wouldn’t turn my nose up at either one.

I’ve never seen a bad word about the A/T ART9 anywhere. That’s a rarity in this hobby. In fact, I’m the one the turned Avanti1960 on to the A/T over at SHF which started a very lengthy thread.

Ultimately, the A/T won’t fit my needs. I plan to have 2 “identical” cartridges- one mono, one stereo. So if I went Ortofon for example I’d go Quintet Black S for stereo, and a Quintet Mono. Same weight, height, tracking force between the two. If mounted on identical head shells (already purchased) I can switch between the two without changing any settings. A/T offers no mono equivalent to the ART9.

Another option would be a pair of wood bodied Grados, that would work. But I’ll likely go another direction this time.
Loving the stereo and mono idea that wouldn’t require too many adjustments. Interested to see what you end up with!

Gonna give it a good cleaning, but almost every item in the list of contents of the Owners Manual (included) is here. I’m missing the wrench (seemingly available, for a grrrr price) and the mounting screws and grommets.
Time to start figuring out this new arm board.
8916C117-0146-4C69-BF8F-DAF36EE1474B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back to the drawing board. Right binding post on arm was broken, sound would come and go so back it went. Got the arm board built however, so just need to find another SME arm. Playing the long game with the Sony at this point. Finally got up the energy to remove the two table shelf rack. Hid some wires while I was at it and the Thorens is back to main billing. image.jpg

Sony is back up and running, sounding better than ever!! Got an SME 3009 S2 Improved to set up with the Shure V15 III, all went well with the installation and set up and she’s SINGING!! Fun stuff. Need to flush mount the arm board screws that attach it to the table, otherwise in good shape. I have an original SME S2 headshell on the way as well.. 0C8BBA52-25D9-4173-AA88-E66859A3917B.jpeg43D718EB-E8E7-47A5-937A-9816190B6457.jpegFC53EA30-779E-4937-8CDA-B57A7642F912.jpeg

Last edited:
I need to purge! I once acquired vintage gear at a rate similar to how I accumulate vinyl now! At least with vinyl, I can lean on the myth that I can, or might, listen to any and all of it, eventually. I tried to apply that to vintage equipment, but at some point, the reality is that it just isn't possible to use it all. And when you consider that each new-to-me piece requires, at the very least, a good cleaning and de-oxit treatment to bring it back to some semblance of usefulness, the reality is that not using these pieces is about the worst thing I can do, since they surely aren't benefitting from sitting stagnant in the basement. Problem is, I'm a bit paralyzed by the thought of trying to find good homes for all of this stuff. I don't want to just give it away to thrift stores, and I know it would be absurd to employ any method that would involve shipping, so that leave local ads and the whole can of worms of selling electronics 'as is.'

Have any of you dealt with a vintage purge? If so, I'd love to hear about how you managed it and how it worked out for you. Here's some of the stuff of which I speak.

A few turntables, and there are others, including two Dual 1210's, a couple of Thorens (which I really don't want to part with even though I'm not using them), and a Bogen (see below).Vintage6.jpgVintage5.jpgVintage4.jpg

Here's the Bogen (re-badged Lenco), which is just too beautiful for me to think about parting with.

Vintage8.jpgVintage7.jpg

And then there's all of this, much of which in my mind is pretty good stuff!

Vintage3.jpg

It's not all a lost cause, though. I still have my Dual 1219 in my main system as a second turntable. And I'm using my favorite vintage amp I've ever owned (Kenwood KA-9100) with a nice Thorens in an office system.

Vintage2.jpgVintage1.jpg

There's a bit more spread around, but this should serve its purpose in representing the 'weight' of this necessary purge. I'd like nothing more than for one (or more) of you smart and creative junkies to lead me to the promise land of relief! :D

I need to purge! I once acquired vintage gear at a rate similar to how I accumulate vinyl now! At least with vinyl, I can lean on the myth that I can, or might, listen to any and all of it, eventually. I tried to apply that to vintage equipment, but at some point, the reality is that it just isn't possible to use it all. And when you consider that each new-to-me piece requires, at the very least, a good cleaning and de-oxit treatment to bring it back to some semblance of usefulness, the reality is that not using these pieces is about the worst thing I can do, since they surely aren't benefitting from sitting stagnant in the basement. Problem is, I'm a bit paralyzed by the thought of trying to find good homes for all of this stuff. I don't want to just give it away to thrift stores, and I know it would be absurd to employ any method that would involve shipping, so that leave local ads and the whole can of worms of selling electronics 'as is.'

Have any of you dealt with a vintage purge? If so, I'd love to hear about how you managed it and how it worked out for you. Here's some of the stuff of which I speak.

A few turntables, and there are others, including two Dual 1210's, a couple of Thorens (which I really don't want to part with even though I'm not using them), and a Bogen (see below).View attachment 108317View attachment 108318View attachment 108319

Here's the Bogen (re-badged Lenco), which is just too beautiful for me to think about parting with.

View attachment 108320View attachment 108321

View attachment 108322

It's not all a lost cause, though. I still have my Dual 1219 in my main system as a second turntable. And I'm using my favorite vintage amp I've ever owned (Kenwood KA-9100) with a nice Thorens in an office system.

View attachment 108323View attachment 108324

There's a bit more spread around, but this should serve its purpose in representing the 'weight' of this necessary purge. I'd like nothing more than for one (or more) of you smart and creative junkies to lead me to the promise land of relief! :D
eBay is your friend.

The Pioneer SX-750 (I think, either that or a SX-850) will pull good money if it’s in nice shape.

The NAD- someone here should buy it.

Ditto the Thorens. The arms look klunky but are actually quite good.

eBay is your friend.

The Pioneer SX-750 (I think, either that or a SX-850) will pull good money if it’s in nice shape.

The NAD- someone here should buy it.

Ditto the Thorens. The arms look klunky but are actually quite good.
perhaps your local Craigslists as well

A few turntables, and there are others, including two Dual 1210's, a couple of Thorens (which I really don't want to part with even though I'm not using them), and a Bogen (see below).View attachment 108317View attachment 108318View attachment 108319

View attachment 108322

If you ever decide to get rid of the Bogen, let me know. Been looking for one of those for years!

might also be interested in a receiver if you decide to go that route.

View attachment 108322

Wow, that's a nice pile of gear, lol

I'll second ebay, and agree with @HiFi Guy, someone should work out a deal on that NAD :)

The Pioneer is really nice and If I remember correctly I had the same Onkyo tape deck back in the day. Gear is an interesting thing, the problem is there is no easy way to store it, I've often said I wanted a nice vintage receiver just to have and I get the sneaking suspicion if that ever happens a whole new can of worms might open, lol. For me these collections need to be stored and or "displayed" neatly and properly to enjoy, even if you're not actively using them. Many moons ago when I did video game reviews I had every console you can think of, some of course for review purposes and some were older versions that, at the time, I displayed in a Kallax of sorts. Once I had to give up my office and things started to pile up, I started purging. Collections, to me, shouldn't be piled in corners or stored away in boxes, collections are meant to be seen and enjoyed.............my opinion of course, and if you have the space goes without saying.

I'm sure a few people around here might be interested in a piece or two, and they should be, the hardest part is starting the process. :)

Last edited:
Back