Vintage Equipment

I lugged my dad's old Pioneer PL-112D to my apartment in the city after Christmas, since my Debut Carbon has been having issues. He has no idea what stylus is on it or when he last changed it, as he only used it a handful of times since my childhood to digitize some records. It's most likely the stock cartridge and he'd just been replacing the needle. Any suggestions for a cartridge I can add to it? Not looking to spend more than $150 Canadian or so; just something I can spin a bit without worrying that I'm destroying any records. I've never swapped a cartridge before so if something came with a headshell I could just screw onto the tonearm, even better.

After a quick look at the table online it doesn’t look like it needs anything out of the ordinary cartridge wise so you should be able to fit any standard cartridge to the headshell, including your 2M off the Debut if you wished.

If you want something new though at roughly around that price, it’s about €150 here, you’re really looking at the AT VM95-ML as probably the best option. They do an option mounted to a headshell too, most carts do, but honestly with a removable headshell mounting is very easy and regardless you would need to align it and set the tracking force/anti skate still.

I lugged my dad's old Pioneer PL-112D to my apartment in the city after Christmas, since my Debut Carbon has been having issues. He has no idea what stylus is on it or when he last changed it, as he only used it a handful of times since my childhood to digitize some records. It's most likely the stock cartridge and he'd just been replacing the needle. Any suggestions for a cartridge I can add to it? Not looking to spend more than $150 Canadian or so; just something I can spin a bit without worrying that I'm destroying any records. I've never swapped a cartridge before so if something came with a headshell I could just screw onto the tonearm, even better.
Grado Prestige if you like a warm, smooth presentation. Black3 is $99, Blue3 is $160usd. You can upgrade the stylus to the 8MZ down the road.

I’d also recommend the VM95 series for 70s Japanese medium mass tonearms like that. The ML is of course the way to go for the best tracking and value, it will be a little over your budget but totally worth it, ime it runs circles around what Nagaoka offers at that price point.

Those Pioneer decks are quite good and very reliable, a friend’s dad has had a similar one since his time in the US Army in the 70s in Germany, it’s still going strong today with regular belt changes. I wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t even miss your old Carbon with a good cart on that.

Picked up a vintage The Fisher 500c about 3 months ago. Attic find when helping a friends dad move. I picked this up along with some 1950’s GE speakers. Took the amp to a repair guy before I powered it up. Figured for $250 for the amp, and two sets of speakers I could not go wrong. And maybe if amp does not work I could recoup my money by selling the tubes. Got it back from repair this week but have no speakers to use (my dynaudio won’t run on low output tubes). Grado headphones on the way. FWIW, I cannot believe what vintage speakers go for today. I will see how the GE speakers do when they get refoamed. The GE cabinets are in 5/10 shape. So I want to see how they sound before making my next move. The research I conducted said this fisher has a great phono and good HP amp.

The Amp had a wood case that was almost flawless. And repair guy did not need to replace anything2D147AC9-2BC5-4BF6-A8CE-0E80BE884CA6.jpeg (yet). Crazy how this 50-60 year old device still runs.

Picked up a vintage The Fisher 500c about 3 months ago. Attic find when helping a friends dad move. I picked this up along with some 1950’s GE speakers. Took the amp to a repair guy before I powered it up. Figured for $250 for the amp, and two sets of speakers I could not go wrong. And maybe if amp does not work I could recoup my money by selling the tubes. Got it back from repair this week but have no speakers to use (my dynaudio won’t run on low output tubes). Grado headphones on the way. FWIW, I cannot believe what vintage speakers go for today. I will see how the GE speakers do when they get refoamed. The GE cabinets are in 5/10 shape. So I want to see how they sound before making my next move. The research I conducted said this fisher has a great phono and good HP amp.

The Amp had a wood case that was almost flawless. And repair guy did not need to replace anythingView attachment 125929 (yet). Crazy how this 50-60 year old device still runs.
That’s a nice score and a killer price! Your repair guy should have replaced the power supply caps at a minimum though.

The Amp had a wood case that was almost flawless. And repair guy did not need to replace anything (yet). Crazy how this 50-60 year old device still runs.
Lovely! This article about the 500C is interesting
And, it points to this site for replacement brass endcaps for the knobs

The Amp had a wood case that was almost flawless. And repair guy did not need to replace anythingView attachment 125929 (yet). Crazy how this 50-60 year old device still runs.
Beautiful! @Satchmo2go

You can clean up and shine the front panel/glass with a little light car wax (do not use isopropyl, as that can remove the printing).

The Fisher will really like a nice pair of restored (caps and surround glue) vintage KLH 5/6/17, Dynaco A25, Large Advent's, or AR's (little harder to drive) speakers and Dual turntables.

As @HiFi Guy said the power supply caps should really be updated by a competent tech. For 60 years old their likely leaking and well out of spec.

For restoration, if you can get to Chicago, Stereo Rehab is highly recommended.

For the wood case I recommend lemon oil unless you decide to refinish.

Here is the owners and service manuals in case you need them:

This is my vintage, restored 1967 Mac 1700 receiver all fancied up. The tube tuner can pull in 70 miles+ using speaker wire for a antenna in the attic!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2d1.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure I’m done with EBay. It’s a great platform because my risk is zero. It sucks because I feel like most think people won’t bother returning.

Just bought a vintage Tannoy/Micro table that was described as “working perfectly”. It doesnt hold speed at either 33 or 45 and neither does it emit any sound from one speaker. Sexy as hell. But doesn’t work. Why not just be honest? I’m too old for this sh*t.

Back to the drawing board.

Pretty sure I’m done with EBay. It’s a great platform because my risk is zero. It sucks because I feel like most think people won’t bother returning.

Just bought a vintage Tannoy/Micro table that was described as “working perfectly”. It doesnt hold speed at either 33 or 45 and neither does it emit any sound from one speaker. Sexy as hell. But doesn’t work. Why not just be honest? I’m too old for this sh*t.

Been there, and to make matters worse, it’s getting harder and harder to find good techs.

My Thorens isn’t getting much love these days, but going the fully restored is what I’m putting my money into from here on out.

I use the rule that if it's vintage it likely needs to be gone over by a tech.
I always use the rule if its vintage it's likely going to have to be gone over by a tech. I usually avoid the e, been pretty lucky with CL local and road trip wise to check things out first.

For speed, seeing it is direct drive, it could be old caps on the power supply, or just need a good cleaning/lube/resolder. Those old M/S motors are pretty hearty so as long as there has been no severe damage hopefully it is still ok.

One channel out could be the tonearm wire, cartridge connector/clips need detoxit'ed or replaced, or a dirty/bad rca jack.

Should not be too much and the old M/S tables are still highly regarded as you know.

Last edited:
Some interesting photo's of vintage systems here...

Tom Petty with a Marantz, Garrard or similiar table, and JBL's

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 9.46.47 PM.png

Ray Manzarek's Beach House (Robbie Krieger in photo's). Dual and Thorens tables, McIntosh preamp, Possibly Citation Amp, Tandberg RTR, KLH, Dynaco, or AR speakers

1644863452291.png
1644863477455.png

1644863496013.png

Paul at his London home with a couple Gerrard's

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ad.jpg

After the trouble you sent to to get a black faceplate for the Sutherland so that everything matched I would burst out laughing if this ended up on your rack 😉
That's the thing @Joe Mac , I have just always wanted a vintage Marantz, I don't think I would actually rack it with my everyday system.........yes, I fully understand I'm out of my mind :)

I need this like I need a another hole in my head, but it popped up on my local feed this morning and has gotten my attention, lol
View attachment 130185
@McGlam recently had a Marantz refreshed inside.

She's a looker. Just keep in mind a few things, your likely to have to have the unit checked out and any old caps replaced by a competent tech. And bare in mind of any online Marantz scams.

Last edited:
Back