Vintage Equipment

Satchmo2go

Not sure why this is not a thread topic. Maybe Tl;dr situation here for me.

Need some advice. Daughter has a cheapo crosley and being a college student, I won't drop the needle on any of my records with that thing.

I want to give her a nice vintage system for Christmas. She's my step daughter, as of a year ago, she has decent taste in music. This would be a good way to bond and fun for me.

I recently (re) inherited my absolute classic JBL L (somethings) and want to put together a system for my 21 y/o daughter. Going to find a nice old skool kenwood or pioneer integrated and need something to spin some records.

I need something reliable, durable, and not crosley. Oh and nothing too fancy. I have no idea what to budget on this. So just looking to you guys to point me in the right direction. I have a guy in town that does TT repair, so I am not afraid to go vintage with his TT as well.

TIA mi amigos!

FWIW, I just emailed my local guy to see if he has anything in stock that he wants to get rid of. You never know right? There was a guy in my town that used to repair vintage speakers, and he always had stock laying around. He offered to buy my JBL's when I took them in. Wish me luck. I will update on the progress.

okay team, that (might) not have taken long. Was just doing some flea bay searches for some old pioneer stuff and found this below. Its a PL-L800, one that has a linear tracking arm. I have ZERO experience with this stuff, but the darn thing is well within driving distance. If anyone has any experience with a linear tracking arm, please give me the deets. I can get this thing tuned up, but I don't want to deal with any hassle on getting parts for that tracking arm. @HiFi Guy any advise???

okay team, that (might) not have taken long. Was just doing some flea bay searches for some old pioneer stuff and found this below. Its a PL-L800, one that has a linear tracking arm. I have ZERO experience with this stuff, but the darn thing is well within driving distance. If anyone has any experience with a linear tracking arm, please give me the deets. I can get this thing tuned up, but I don't want to deal with any hassle on getting parts for that tracking arm. @HiFi Guy any advise???

Avoid that model like the plague. If something would go wrong, I’d bet that it’s full of ICs, and some will no longer be available.

Avoid that model like the plague. If something would go wrong, I’d bet that it’s full of ICs, and some will no longer be available.
Roger that. Please point me in the right direction. Again nothin' too fancy, but something that is build like a TANK
💣. It looks there are TONS of pioneer tables on the market.

so far this is fun. I think I just scored an old 1971 marantz 2270 receiver to drive my (daughter's) JBL L36's.
My kids are 7 and 3, but I've already dreamed of the day I get to put together an inexpensive but solid system for them. I think it's a fantastic way to connect with your daughter, and something I'm sure she'll love and appreciate for a very long time!

My kids are 7 and 3, but I've already dreamed of the day I get to put together an inexpensive but solid system for them. I think it's a fantastic way to connect with your daughter, and something I'm sure she'll love and appreciate for a very long time!
I'm hoping one of my 3 kids (25, 21, 16) will come around in time, they all love music and like picking my brain for recommendations, but they're all streamers right now :(

The Marantz amp has been procured for a nice price. Delivery this week. I will post pics soon. Once I get my head wrapped around the speakers and amp I will start the TT search.

I'm hoping one of my 3 kids (25, 21, 16) will come around in time, they all love music and like picking my brain for recommendations, but they're all streamers right now :(
I'm trying to get all my friends to put together basic but solid systems that avoid the whole streaming thing. My one buddy announced two years ago that his brother had gotten him a turntable.... it was a suitcase Crosley. I had him over and told him to bring his records, I RCM'd them and played them on my system. Six months later he's got the forum approved Fluance/Onkyo/Elac system and is LOVING it.

Last edited:
The Marantz amp has been procured for a nice price. Delivery this week. I will post pics soon. Once I get my head wrapped around the speakers and amp I will start the TT search.

How much was it? I owned one (that I bought used) back in the mid ‘80s. Part of a system I wish I kept- it sounded killer:

Marantz 2270
Dual 1229Q
Grado cartridge- probably the equivalent of a Black
Large Advents

I’d listen to that today. Unfortunately today that system isn’t under $500 which it was then. All of it was preowned except for the Grado. It sounded stupid good.

Maybe @RichGrado will appreciate this post.

How much was it? I owned one (that I bought used) back in the mid ‘80s. Part of a system I wish I kept- it sounded killer:

Marantz 2270
Dual 1229Q
Grado cartridge- probably the equivalent of a Black
Large Advents

I’d listen to that today. Unfortunately today that system isn’t under $500 which it was then. All of it was preowned except for the Grado. It sounded stupid good.

Maybe @RichGrado will appreciate this post.
$200 (plus shipping), from an ex military guy who got it at an German Military post in 1971. Has been sitting inside his house (not basement) not getting used. Here's what he has done: periodic de oxit D5, tuner alignment, dude's father installed 2 Elna Caps. New blue LED's too.

I have an EE friend who is going to assist me in recapping. I want this thing to go the long haul, plus I have time to do it.

Any recommendations on what to recap?

Also picked up my old JBL's today, from the guy I loaned them too. He ended up studying Music Biz at MTSU, and now has a small music production studio. Needless to say, the 24 y.o. kept them in nice shape and really appreciated them. He has to go digging for the grills though. That is a MUST have. Will do the TUNG oil dance with them later today.

I have an old (5 y.o.) EAT player...old as in my MoFi replaced it, that I might just put in with the system. My only hesitation is the EAT TT is sort of complex and the gloss piano black paint does not match the vintage (ness) of the rest of the system.

$200 (plus shipping), from an ex military guy who got it at an German Military post in 1971. Has been sitting inside his house (not basement) not getting used. Here's what he has done: periodic de oxit D5, tuner alignment, dude's father installed 2 Elna Caps. New blue LED's too.

I have an EE friend who is going to assist me in recapping. I want this thing to go the long haul, plus I have time to do it.

Any recommendations on what to recap?

Also picked up my old JBL's today, from the guy I loaned them too. He ended up studying Music Biz at MTSU, and now has a small music production studio. Needless to say, the 24 y.o. kept them in nice shape and really appreciated them. He has to go digging for the grills though. That is a MUST have. Will do the TUNG oil dance with them later today.

I have an old (5 y.o.) EAT player...old as in my MoFi replaced it, that I might just put in with the system. My only hesitation is the EAT TT is sort of complex and the gloss piano black paint does not match the vintage (ness) of the rest of the system.

Dude- you did well!

Here’s a rebuild kit with every part you’ll need that should either be replaced due to age or is known to go bad eventually. It’s quite reasonably priced too.

Why not just get her a Techics SL-1200GR?
J/K, but is that a blatant attempt at a knockoff or what? All you need is a fake Technics mat and a van to sell it out of, and you're set.

Seriously though, I'll second Hifi Guy's recommendation. I ran a Dual 1219 with a Shure V15mkIII cart for several years before purchasing my MOFI table. Provided you can pick one up from a reputable source, any of the Dual auto/semi-auto turntables are excellent choices.

There's a reason why people held on to them for decades. They're built like tanks, sound fantastic and with a little TLC, last forever. The only reason they're so budget friendly is because they made a million of em'. Also, with the original wood plinth, a Dual would match that Marantz perfectly.

Why not just get her a Techics SL-1200GR?
J/K, but is that a blatant attempt at a knockoff or what? All you need is a fake Technics mat and a van to sell it out of, and you're set.

Seriously though, I'll second Hifi Guy's recommendation. I ran a Dual 1219 with a Shure V15mkIII cart for several years before purchasing my MOFI table. Provided you can pick one up from a reputable source, any of the Dual auto/semi-auto turntables are excellent choices.

There's a reason why people held on to them for decades. They're built like tanks, sound fantastic and with a little TLC, last forever. The only reason they're so budget friendly is because they made a million of em'. Also, with the original wood plinth, a Dual would match that Marantz perfectly.

Dual guy from Iowa pointed me towards the 1219. I have time on that front, so will wait to see what needs to be done to the Marantz first. I will say an Auto/semi auto table is a MUST have at this point. Daughter is 21 yo and I am sure will need this feature. Also, the Marantz does not have the wood paneling. No biggie. I hope it arrives this week. I am getting excited. I hope to have it up and running by the weekend.

Back