Vintage Equipment

Hi Guys. I'm back at my parents for Christmas and decided to dig out the first record player I had, my dads (and his dads) Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1001. It's a fantastic machine but years ago the belt slipped and my task (as easy as it sounds) is to realign it or replace it. The problem is that the metal shell encompasses the belt so it's tricky to get to. I'm going to attempt to get at it which potentially is as easy as removing a few screws.

I thought I might check in on here first to see if anyone has had experience with this player and if so are there any tips/tricks worth knowing?

View attachment 122290
One thing I can suggest is to clean the audio connections (jacks and cables). If it is a DIN cable be careful with it as it's not easy to replace if at all. In the states we have Caig Deoxit spray. I know this is hard to come by in Europe but you should be able to find a similiar product.

If you see a hole in the motor casing try and put 1-3 drops of sewing machine oil (or similiar) into the moto casing.

A new belt is also a good idea:

Last edited:
Hi Guys. I'm back at my parents for Christmas and decided to dig out the first record player I had, my dads (and his dads) Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1001. It's a fantastic machine but years ago the belt slipped and my task (as easy as it sounds) is to realign it or replace it. The problem is that the metal shell encompasses the belt so it's tricky to get to. I'm going to attempt to get at it which potentially is as easy as removing a few screws.

I thought I might check in on here first to see if anyone has had experience with this player and if so are there any tips/tricks worth knowing?

View attachment 122290
That’s a thing of beauty. The only thing I (think I) know about B&O tables is that the carts can be a bugger to find replacements for? This might not be the case here.

One thing I can suggest is to clean the audio connections (jacks and cables). If it is a DIN cable be careful with it as it's not easy to replace if at all. In the states we have Caig Deoxit spray. I know this is hard to come by in Europe but you should be able to find a similiar product.

If you see a hole in the motor casing try and put 1-3 drops of sewing machine oil (or similiar) into the moto casing.

A new belt is also a good idea:

That’s a thing of beauty. The only thing I (think I) know about B&O tables is that the carts can be a bugger to find replacements for? This might not be the case here.
Thanks for the advice. The belt was actually the main problem as it dropped but I now found that the platter isn't rotating. I fiddled around with the motor and have got it rotating but only at one speed (not sure if it's 33 1/3 or 45rpm yet). I really wish there was a video online so I know what its supposed to look like.

@Thackeraye it's notorious for that. When we first dug the table out a few years ago my Dad said he remembered getting a replacement when he was younger and it cost a fortune. I was hoping to get this in working order for fun more than anything, it won't be my go-to table, so im not overly fussed with getting a replacement for now but will sleuth online every now and again on the offchance that I find an affordable one.

Fleshing out my 2nd system, which is in the basement, with this amp I got from an in-law this past week. It's a Dynaco ST 150 that's been heavily modified by Frank Van Alstine of Van Alstine Audio. I live in MN, as does Frank, so his handiwork is pretty common around here. Basically he gutted the thing and replaced with far better parts. It's about 50 years old, and while the power light doesn't work, the thing fired right up and sounds great.20211231_214500.jpg

Thanks for the advice. The belt was actually the main problem as it dropped but I now found that the platter isn't rotating. I fiddled around with the motor and have got it rotating but only at one speed (not sure if it's 33 1/3 or 45rpm yet). I really wish there was a video online so I know what its supposed to look like.

@Thackeraye it's notorious for that. When we first dug the table out a few years ago my Dad said he remembered getting a replacement when he was younger and it cost a fortune. I was hoping to get this in working order for fun more than anything, it won't be my go-to table, so im not overly fussed with getting a replacement for now but will sleuth online every now and again on the offchance that I find an affordable one.

Sound-Smith are the guys for B&O. They make or rebuild cartridges for them. Looking at the list they don’t make a new one for yours but they’d rebuild an existing one for $150-$350 depending on the quality of stylus/cantilever you chose.

Sound-smith have a great name in cartridges but their lead times for rebuilds are supposedly quite long at the moment.

A friend recently gave me a Marantz 2235B and it could use an FM alignment. Finding out that is something of a lost art. Any recommendations?
I would suggest having a local tech or trusted out of town tech who is familiar with vintage gear go over the unit and make sure the caps and power supply are also up to snuff along with tuner alignment. A complete rebuild could cost you a good buck but vintage Marantz is quality worth the investment IMHO as your likely to get many years of happiness from it.

Here is the service manual pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: OMC

Clean thoroughly and the try and lubricate the spindle/bearing with a few drops of oil and work it in

Speed issues could be:
1) The motor from non use over the years. If your handy can you get at the motor, clean it thoroughly and oil it
2) The speed switch. Spray and clean with Caig Deoxit thoroughly many times and work the switch over and over.
3) Power supply board caps need replaced or board may need rebuilt.

Last edited:
Clean thoroughly and the try and lubricate the spindle/bearing with a few drops of oil and work it in

Speed issues could be:
1) The motor from non use over the years. If your handy can you get at the motor, clean it thoroughly and oil it
2) The speed switch. Spray and clean with Caig Detoxit thoroughly many times and work the switch over and over.
3) Power supply board caps need replaced or board may need rebuilt.
Cheers for this. As an update, I was able to get the belt back on (it seems fine and isn't brittle) and got the 1 speed working. I am back home now so wont have another crack at it for a few months but will bear all this in mind. Its a fun little project that I can keep going back to.

I would suggest having a local tech or trusted out of town tech who is familiar with vintage gear go over the unit and make sure the caps and power supply are also up to snuff along with tuner alignment. A complete rebuild could cost you a good buck but vintage Marantz is quality worth the investment IMHO as your likely to get many years of happiness from it.

Here is the service manual pdf
Since first posting this the good folks at Electric City Repair and Records electriccityrepair.com
have purchased the necessary equipment to do FM alignment. Will give them some time to get up to speed with the new gear before taking the Marantz in.
I’ve sold them about six hundred records in the last few months. Things that have been sitting in a dark room for the last thirty plus years that were duplicates or triplicates or stuff I just wasn’t interested in. Makes them happy every time I walk in the door with another crate.

Since first posting this the good folks at Electric City Repair and Records electriccityrepair.com
have purchased the necessary equipment to do FM alignment. Will give them some time to get up to speed with the new gear before taking the Marantz in.
I’ve sold them about six hundred records in the last few months. Things that have been sitting in a dark room for the last thirty plus years that were duplicates or triplicates or stuff I just wasn’t interested in. Makes them happy every time I walk in the door with another crate.
I love Electric City... my McIntosh is there for some minor maintenance right now. They've had some good records lately... I wonder if some of my new acquisitions from their shop originated in your dark room? :)

• Laughing
I love Electric City... my McIntosh is there for some minor maintenance right now. They've had some good records lately... I wonder if some of my new acquisitions from their shop originated in your dark room? :)
Quite possibly. I’ve taken in a lot of common stuff but also a goodly amount of unusual and rare records too. Having been burned on eBay one too many times as a seller, letting Electric City make some good bucks on my old stuff is okay with me. Might start selling some of the OG Mofis and the like I have here on N&G. Name some titles you’ve picked up. What part of the Metro are you in!

Quite possibly. I’ve taken in a lot of common stuff but also a goodly amount of unusual and rare records too. Having been burned on eBay one too many times as a seller, letting Electric City make some good bucks on my old stuff is okay with me. Might start selling some of the OG Mofis and the like I have here on N&G. Name some titles you’ve picked up. What part of the Metro are you in!
The notable ones were a first pressing of the Wake's "Here Comes Everybody" and a promo copy of Allspice's self-titled album. I also grabbed a Hiroshi Fukumura record last time I was there.

I'm in SE Denver, so I don't get up that way very often. Recollect is the record store I visit most often in the metro area.

Did you say OG MoFi? Please DM me.

I'll join @HiFi Guy and would love to know what MoFis you may be selling :) feel free to DM me too after you let him know what you're looking to sell.

Always good to have a good reliable, local, vintage, repair shop. I see they do consoles too, thats a lost art in itself!

If anyone is looking for Replacement Bulb Kits for Vintage Gear, David below comes highly recommended and also has LED upgrade kits. Just keep in mind he is old school. DGWOJO.COM

Last edited:
View attachment 116240

Finally getting a chance to try out my Marantz 2270 receiver that I just got refurbished. I only have powered speakers at the moment so I am using the pre-out rca outputs. The right mono button is very sticky but everything else is looking great.
I can’t get enough of it really! Part of the reason i want to play through everything.

View attachment 124298

Still would like to upgrade the housing at some point.

Saw this one again in the other thread from @McGlam , looking sweet! Wood cases are not cheap but it's a beauty that deserves some wood eventually IMO.

Did the built in headphone amp work out for you ?

Saw this one again in the other thread from @McGlam , looking sweet! Wood cases are not cheap but it's a beauty that deserves some wood eventually IMO.

Did the built in headphone amp work out for you ?

The built-in amp is good but I’ve been enjoying the flexibility of the external one.

Yes I need to look up some of those sites that sell the wood housing. Super happy with the unit in general. I think it’s a great pairing with the Lintons.

I lugged my dad's old Pioneer PL-112D to my apartment in the city after Christmas, since my Debut Carbon has been having issues. He has no idea what stylus is on it or when he last changed it, as he only used it a handful of times since my childhood to digitize some records. It's most likely the stock cartridge and he'd just been replacing the needle. Any suggestions for a cartridge I can add to it? Not looking to spend more than $150 Canadian or so; just something I can spin a bit without worrying that I'm destroying any records. I've never swapped a cartridge before so if something came with a headshell I could just screw onto the tonearm, even better.

Back