Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

True. And much like the urge to replacing my PLX with a 1200 kept leading me to the inevitable questions of "WHY?", I've even canceled my speaker order and keeping the ZUs.
Bless my wife for talking me down long enough that someone else bought it instead.

I was so close to buying an extremely well-kept Dual 1229 someone nearby was selling for $250, even though I am perfectly happy with my Ultradeck.

Addiction to novelty is a disease.
And maybe that's my problem :D because I'm thinking why not drop that $250 to see what the fuss over idler-drive turntables is all about? (Full disclosure, my 1219 has had an exalted spot in my system since the day I bought it ten years ago.)

Last edited:
And maybe that's my problem :D because I'm thinking why not drop that $250 to see what the fuss over idler-drive turntables is all about? (Full disclosure, my 1219 has had an exalted spot in my system since they day I bought it ten years ago.)
FOMO in 3… 2… 1….

You know what else works really well, don't listen to your system for a few days. Honestly, and I've done this, when you feel your system is lacking, regardless of whether it actually is or you've created it in your head, step away from it for a while. If you can avoid it for like a week, even better. You'll be surprised at how it sounds when you come back to it. ;)

I'll be the first to admit chasing imaginary issues can happen in this hobby. When you're a "tinkerer" even worse, lol. Take a break and reassess the "problem".
Yeah I definitely feel this one. There are times that I get locked into something I'm hearing on an individual pressing, or if I play a couple of average masters or pressings in a row and I start to feel like everything just sounds off. Stepping away for a day or two kinda resets everything, OR I do the equivalent of smelling coffee beans to reset your sense of smell and I go and immediately play one of my best pressings and that kinda fixes me up.

Last edited:
And maybe that's my problem :D because I'm thinking why not drop that $250 to see what the fuss over idler-drive turntables is all about? (Full disclosure, my 1219 has had an exalted spot in my system since the day I bought it ten years ago.)
I really thought about it. Plus it would have looked really nice on my cabinet, being that it was walnut. It's probably best that I didn't. :)

If I hadn't already bought my wife an old Technics linear tracker I might have had an excuse, but three turntables for two people in one townhouse might have been a bridge too far.

I really thought about it. Plus it would have looked really nice on my cabinet, being that it was walnut. It's probably best that I didn't. :)

If I hadn't already bought my wife an old Technics linear tracker I might have had an excuse, but three turntables for two people in one townhouse might have been a bridge too far.
I hear you, and you're right! I admire that your (and your wife's) more reasonable view prevailed. 🍻

Yeah I definitely feel this one. There are times that I get locked into something I'm hearing on an individual pressing, or if I play a couple of average masters or pressings in a row and I start to feel like everything just sounds off. Stepping away for a day or two kinda resets everything, OR I do the equivalent of smelling coffee beans to reset your sense of smell and I go and immediately play one of my best pressings and that kinda fixes me up.
My amateur tip is to check the settings of your gear regularly. I was listening to some new stuff and feeling a little disappointed. Then I recalled that I had listened to a mono LP recently but hadn't switched my phonostage back to stereo. Duh.

A mono cart is better than a mono switch though, yes?
Probably a better question for @HiFi Guy ...

A 2nd table setup for mono would be my wish (old Dual or similiar), changing headshells/carts in the past is always a pain for me with older eyes. I have two pho inputs but my Mac also has a mono switch that works fine. Saying all that seems to be MANY very happy in that thread with those boxes and you cant beat the price ($50). Just keep in mind it's another link of interconnect too.

Last edited:
Really excited to share that my dream of having a second system in my office is finally a reality. I just got my dad's old Dual 1215 back from service at Fix My Dual. Bill did an excellent job with it and if you ever find yourself with a Dual in need of love, send it his way.

Cart is a Shure with an m95ed stylus. I'm running it into a cheap phono I had, then into my Magni head amp. Plan is to upgrade my main systems phono to an MM-6 and move the Mani up to the office. I'll put a switch in to use my headphones in both my digital and analog systems at some point.

So far the sound is great, even with this JV preamp. It's extremely silent during quiet parts through headphones, so much so I kept thinking it wasn't working. Only issue is that warps are much more noticeable but I think a weight will solve that, to some degree.

20211101_102735.jpg20211101_102759.jpg20211101_102650.jpg

Really excited to share that my dream of having a second system in my office is finally a reality. I just got my dad's old Dual 1215 back from service at Fix My Dual. Bill did an excellent job with it and if you ever find yourself with a Dual in need of love, send it his way.

Cart is a Shure with an m95ed stylus. I'm running it into a cheap phono I had, then into my Magni head amp. Plan is to upgrade my main systems phono to an MM-6 and move the Mani up to the office. I'll put a switch in to use my headphones in both my digital and analog systems at some point.

So far the sound is great, even with this JV preamp. It's extremely silent during quiet parts through headphones, so much so I kept thinking it wasn't working. Only issue is that warps are much more noticeable but I think a weight will solve that, to some degree.

View attachment 116279View attachment 116280View attachment 116281
That's awesome, gratz! :)

Great table Tricky! Is that Ider wheel design btw ? Bill does great work.

While were spreading some vintage Dual love I posted a photo of mine spinning 45's in another thread

38976590232_3b6b186eb4_b.jpg

Sweet! I love my Dual :D. How did it work out logistically? I assume you sent the table to Fix My Dual with basic instructions to do what had to be done? How long did it take? And did you find the pricing reasonable? I only ask because there will come a day when I'm going to have to service my 1219, and I have a couple of local options but I might prefer to go with "Dual experts." Thanks. And congrats!

EDIT: Just checked out their site and it looks like their basic service is very reasonably priced. Still curious about logistics.

Last edited:
Back