Upcoming/Recent Shows

Day 1 of Forecastle, Louisville.

Spazz Cardigan was fun. He said he just signed a record deal, so look out maybe?
View attachment 11008

Always love Hop Along.

View attachment 11007

Lucius
View attachment 11006

Julia Jacklin
View attachment 11005
View attachment 11004

Cold War Kids

View attachment 11003

Portugal The Man
View attachment 11002
Can anyone make out what is on his hoodie jacket (90 degrees Fahrenheit today, really?!)
View attachment 11001

Killers!
View attachment 11000
With a "random" guest drummer and bass from the band White Reaper. Some other guy had a sign wanting his wife to play the tambourine, but not tonight.
View attachment 10999

Tomorrow has Anderson .Paak but otherwise light day. Sunday will be better for me.
Chromeo and The Killers were sooo good. Major highlights.
IMG_20190712_215112.jpgIMG_20190712_182519.jpg

@Indymisanthrope is there too, we should do a small N&G meet up.

Went to North Sea Jazz Festival yesterday. Don't even know where to start, saw so many amazing acts. I'll just list them haha:

Jose James (Bill Withers tribute): He had an orchestra with him, which I didn't really like. The songs he did with his own band worked better imo.
Makaya McCraven with special guest Joel Ross: So much energy and incredible musicianship, really special show.
Theon Cross: I always forget how huge Tuba's are! Really groovy set.
Anita Baker: This woman's voice is just incredible. Never really listened to her much, but that's gonna chance. Maybe the highlight of the day. And her bassist was just this cool, old guy, whose laid back stance just cracked me up (why do all bass players always look like they are chilling at home with their bathrobes on).
Chuco Valdes: Fun latin/percussion set
Gilberto Gil: Brazialian legend. Amazing stuff. I also saw Milton Nasciamento live a few weeks ago, but Gilberto and his voice were in much better shape
Orquesta Akokan: This was maybe the most fun concert, although they programmed it in an area where everybody had to sit. Despite that a lot of people got up and danced.
Tower of Power: Don't knwo what else I have can say, but that this was a funky good time.

Day 2 Forecastle.

Anderson .Paak really was awesome!

IMG_20190713_223627.jpgIMG_20190713_215623.jpg
Maggie Rogers

IMG_20190713_194410.jpg

Chelsea Cutler

IMG_20190713_163218.jpg

H.A.R.D. Have A Rad Day were very fun.

IMG_20190713_145031.jpg

So far Forecastle has been great. One more day today with Chvrches as the one I'm looking forward to the most.

Last day of Forecastle in Louisville was very hot. A bit too tired to take a lot of pictures, but here are a couple good ones.

Chvrches was my headliner for the day, and they were awesome. (Was not too interested in Avett Brothers, sorry)

IMG_20190714_211620.jpgIMG_20190714_211358.jpg

Sunflower Bean was my other favorite for the day.

IMG_20190714_141929.jpgIMG_20190714_141909.jpg

The guitarist found a clever use for an old phone handle. It gave some cool sound distortion effects.

IMG_20190714_142820.jpg

Also met up with @ayayrawn . Good to meet a fellow Needler and Groover. Cheers!

I saw Daniel Norgren last night. Me and my mate got the early and went to the bar next door to wait for another mate. Turns out Daniel was there having something to eat before the show. Had a good chat with him, such a great guy!

I took a copy of the VMP Wooh Dang along with me and also picked up the VMP pressing of Skogens Frukter (which I was amazed they had) plus a tshirt. After the gig I got talking to Daniels manager and he went backstage and asked Daniel to sign the records, he even wrote a personalised message which was cool of him.

Fantastic night, I will share some photos later!

Here's a list of shows I'm interested in, happening between now and early November in my area. Most of these are at smaller venues, which is nice. I can't see them all but really want to catch at least a couple/few of these shows.
I think Andrew Bird and HGM are my top two choices.

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
Andrew Bird
Steely Dan
Pinback
Band of Skulls
Fruit Bats
Bob Mould
White Denim
Mike Watt
Hiss Golden Messenger
The Dip

Back