Upcoming/Recent Shows

B376CBDE-5EE4-4BD7-8ADA-CF336A90E7AE.jpeg6A119CB0-9126-400F-B95F-0B244AE7DAA5.jpeg

I saw Brandi Carlile for the first time ever and it might be a top 20 all time show for me. Her band is a force. She covered Joni’s ‘A Case of You’ which made me cry and ‘The Mother’ made my wife cry especially when Evangeline skipped out on stage. She’s amazing.

CE563816-03F5-46AC-9727-DE03E270E5FA.jpeg

Jason Isbell closed the night but they coheadlined and both played 90 minute sets. I have a bit of Isbell live fatigue after see him 15 some times and a few times recently with really similar setlists. He played ‘Goddamn Lonely Love’ and ‘Elephant’ which were both unexpected and made the night totally worth it.

Last edited:
Went into a show blind last night since a friend and former colleague was coming through on tour. As if I needed much of an excuse to drop into my favorite venue.

Saajtak was every bit as impeccable as I'd expected, knowing my friend's other projects. Compositionally complex with some of the most powerful vocals. Super impressed.

Next up was Cold Beaches, who blew me away. Surfy, rock'n'roll mayhem that had me smiling uncontrollably.

Lastly, Throwaway — a fascinating little explosion of noise and post-hardcore elements with a geeky sense of humor that wins.

Saw Black Pistol Fire at a local spot on Friday, really great show. They remind me a bit of the Black Keys but more rock without the bluesy influence. Those guys can play.

Durand tonight! In Whelans, excellent small venue and no security barrier so look how close to the stage! I’ve never been to a gig here before but it’s seems familiar, i think I might have been to a club night here on a blackout night out about a decade ago...

BCD450C1-745A-49D0-A5E8-A9F1C5099861.jpeg

Hey @Lee Newman @Jake! and all other folk around the triangle -

Lee Bains III + The Glory Fires and Loamlands live at The Pinhook in Durham on October 17th.

First round's on me.

Here's what happened last time -

Hey @Lee Newman @Jake! and all other folk around the triangle -

Lee Bains III + The Glory Fires and Loamlands live at The Pinhook in Durham on October 17th.

First round's on me.

Here's what happened last time -

In!

The Raconteurs w/ Ex Hex tonight was incredible. Unfortunately no pics because of the phone policy, but I will share that I spend about 1/4 of the show staring at a gentleman in one of the theater boxes who, I swear to the good Lord, looked exactly like Thom Yorke in the dim lighting. It wasn't until the encore break where he stood up to leave that I realized it was a 70ish year old man. I need to get my eyes checked.

The Raconteurs w/ Ex Hex tonight was incredible. Unfortunately no pics because of the phone policy, but I will share that I spend about 1/4 of the show staring at a gentleman in one of the theater boxes who, I swear to the good Lord, looked exactly like Thom Yorke in the dim lighting. It wasn't until the encore break where he stood up to leave that I realized it was a 70ish year old man. I need to get my eyes checked.

So it was Thom Yorke.

I went to the Royals game last night and bought special tickets for on field access afterwards for a Ms Lauryn Hill show. It was to benefit an organization called Strike Out Slavery. Definitely not the way I expected to see Lauryn live finally but I’ll take it. It was cool just being on the field as well.

1FD855DC-9FFB-4F23-BA60-B4697613442A.jpeg
9E6F29E2-2570-46FA-95ED-EE01567A9549.jpeg

Merriweather Post Pavilion - August 17, 2019

IMG_20190817_193444_026.jpg

The incredible AFI opened up the night! They played a short but energetic set of 8 songs, blending both mid 2000s pop punk hits with their post-punk tracks. This was my second AFI show, and though they weren't headlining this one, they kicked ass as always! They were my favorite band on the bill tbh, but was more excited about SP, since I had seen AFI before.

I really tried to get a half decent picture of Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, but my phone wouldn't allow it. His set started with his own music, before ending with Oasis covers and even a Beatles cover. A nice set, not quite my cup of tea though. His huge band was awesome to see, and his voice is fantastic.

IMG_20190817_232057_394.jpg

The night ended with the ever so amazing Smashing Pumpkins! Their amazing set included all of their major hits of the 90s, as well as a few deep cuts from across the eras. Their production was amazing, and the band was as tight as ever! All 3 guitarists, Billy included, played shredding solos. Jimmy Chamberlain beat the shit out of his drum kit in such a strong, impressive manner. And Billy Corgan's voice is just as great live!

Overall, this easily places in my top 5 concerts of all time. My expectations were high, but DAMN!!

Merriweather Post Pavilion - August 17, 2019

View attachment 14699

The incredible AFI opened up the night! They played a short but energetic set of 8 songs, blending both mid 2000s pop punk hits with their post-punk tracks. This was my second AFI show, and though they weren't headlining this one, they kicked ass as always! They were my favorite band on the bill tbh, but was more excited about SP, since I had seen AFI before.

I really tried to get a half decent picture of Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, but my phone wouldn't allow it. His set started with his own music, before ending with Oasis covers and even a Beatles cover. A nice set, not quite my cup of tea though. His huge band was awesome to see, and his voice is fantastic.

View attachment 14700

The night ended with the ever so amazing Smashing Pumpkins! Their amazing set included all of their major hits of the 90s, as well as a few deep cuts from across the eras. Their production was amazing, and the band was as tight as ever! All 3 guitarists, Billy included, played shredding solos. Jimmy Chamberlain beat the shit out of his drum kit in such a strong, impressive manner. And Billy Corgan's voice is just as great live!

Overall, this easily places in my top 5 concerts of all time. My expectations were high, but DAMN!!

Oh shit, wow. Glad it was so good! I'm seeing them later today (Monday). Excitement!

Yikes. Looks like I got the opposite side of the coin with AFI, @Sanders . Was a total diva the entire time. Half-assed his way through the whole set. Tried to swing the mic around and missed the catch, then stared at it on the ground for a few seconds - not in a funny way, in a pissed way. Said goodbye tersely before starting Miss Murder and walked off before the song even finished. What a joke.

MVIMG_20190819_191510.jpg

Yikes. Looks like I got the opposite side of the coin with AFI, @Sanders . Was a total diva the entire time. Half-assed his way through the whole set. Tried to swing the mic around and missed the catch, then stared at it on the ground for a few seconds - not in a funny way, in a pissed way. Said goodbye tersely before starting Miss Murder and walked off before the song even finished. What a joke.

View attachment 14740

Yikes! He was full of energy the other day. Swinging the mic stand around, interacting with the crowd, and thanking everyone! He must be on an off day, cause I've never heard him act like that on stage. I'm not gonna try to guess the reasons for that. Davey Havok is certainly a diva, but usually just the attention loving kind, not the jackass kind.

Back