UK Members

My last one had a customs label on. They'd set at $10

It's cleared customs, but I don't know if that means there are no charges, or if Storf just hasn't been caught operating an international drug smuggling ring using VMP shipments as cover.

TBH I'm not sure how they can charge for subscriptions, the money is for the club membership, not necessarily the record of the month.

It's cleared customs, but I don't know if that means there are no charges, or if Storf just hasn't been caught operating an international drug smuggling ring using VMP shipments as cover.

TBH I'm not sure how they can charge for subscriptions, the money is for the club membership, not necessarily the record of the month.

I tried explaining that to Portuguese customs and I wasn't very successful haha

Oh god this would be a nightmare if we get hit with charges. I also signed up to the 12month sub and have a TON of preorders im waiting on. @Andy I cant believe your package is in the country already, I havent even had shipping yet.

Oh god this would be a nightmare if we get hit with charges. I also signed up to the 12month sub and have a TON of preorders im waiting on. @Andy I cant believe your package is in the country already, I havent even had shipping yet.

Your's might still be coming via Yodel. It might take longer but could end up being cheaper :)

Just looking at the Royal Mail website & they have updated the rules (presumably to accommodate Brexit). I may be miss-interpreting this, but it implies VAT is now always charged at the point of sale for items valued less than £135. Does that mean they assume Vat has already been paid for anything under £135, so you will only be charged where value is above £135?

"VAT will be applied depending on the type and value of the goods. VAT on items under £135 (with the exception of gifts) will now be collected directly at the point of sale.

For goods with a value over £135 and gifts over £39, customs charges will continue to be applied on behalf of HM"

(I think I have an long time outstanding Music Direct order I need to trim before they send)

I received the VMP package today & no extra charges! I couldn't see if VMP had detailed a customs value, the Royal Mail delivery sticker Wass right over the previous one & too difficult to separate.

I can't believe how quickly this has arrived. Even the postman came early today & we have heavy snow :)

No wonder the subscription costs are going up if they are going to use Royal Mail though. I had 8 titles, the package was 3.5 kg, I can't see it being cheap

I received the VMP package today & no extra charges! I couldn't see if VMP had detailed a customs value, the Royal Mail delivery sticker Wass right over the previous one & too difficult to separate.

I can't believe how quickly this has arrived. Even the postman came early today & we have heavy snow :)
This is one of the quickest I have seen someone in the UK get it! Mega fast, I still dont have a shipping notification for mine!

Glad to hear you didnt get extra charges as well!

This is one of the quickest I have seen someone in the UK get it! Mega fast, I still dont have a shipping notification for mine!

Glad to hear you didnt get extra charges as well!
No notification here either. Really glad that you had no extra charges on your package!

No notification here either. Really glad that you had no extra charges on your package!

If I get something from abroad & it comes via Royal Mail, I usually get charged an admin fee. I have been overcharged VAT twice now why Royal Mail

Just looking at the gov. site for changes to import charges as a result of Brexit. I'm maybe late to the game on this, thinking about it I did care something on the news about VAT for sellers within the EU but didn't make the connection with the rest of the world.

As I understand it, the £15 low value VAT exemption has been removed. A purchase that is below £135 must have VAT charged at the point of sale, meaning it is up to the seller to register with HMRC, collect & pay any VAT chargeable on sales to the UK. (Over £135 remains the same).

I'm wondering what this means for purchases from the US. Has anyone bought anything from Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds? If they are still selling to the UK & implemented a mechanism to collect VAT, it should mean no more import charges, if we keep the basket under £135. If they haven't (likely option) implemented a mechanism to collect VAT, probably means they will stop selling to the UK.

Has anyone ordered anything from the US or Canada?

Just looking at the gov. site for changes to import charges as a result of Brexit. I'm maybe late to the game on this, thinking about it I did care something on the news about VAT for sellers within the EU but didn't make the connection with the rest of the world.

As I understand it, the £15 low value VAT exemption has been removed. A purchase that is below £135 must have VAT charged at the point of sale, meaning it is up to the seller to register with HMRC, collect & pay any VAT chargeable on sales to the UK. (Over £135 remains the same).

I'm wondering what this means for purchases from the US. Has anyone bought anything from Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds? If they are still selling to the UK & implemented a mechanism to collect VAT, it should mean no more import charges, if we keep the basket under £135. If they haven't (likely option) implemented a mechanism to collect VAT, probably means they will stop selling to the UK.

Has anyone ordered anything from the US or Canada?
This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. I did have a record arrive from Canada the other day (which was ordered before Christmas) but im pretty sure he valued it at 10canadian dollars, so it wouldn't have been effected anyway.

My Jan VMP finally shipped. It's 10 records in one shipment. Looks like the ultimate test to UK customs for VMP. I'll keep you updated on it
Mine is a big box on route as well.

I remember the days when VMP sold non-exclusive records and extras as well. I had a pair of Kanto YU6 speakers that were in a huggge box which they valued at a couple of dollars to pass customs.

I popped a question over on the Discogs thread with no luck so far. Might be more suited to some of you guys:

I have a question for you UK/EU folk. I have a buyer interested in a record for £55 plus postage. The issue is that he is asking if he will face import fees as I am sending it from the UK to Europe. I have seen something online to say that business items over £135 will have a fee, but then also that gifts worth more than £39 will have a fee.

I popped a question over on the Discogs thread with no luck so far. Might be more suited to some of you guys:

I have a question for you UK/EU folk. I have a buyer interested in a record for £55 plus postage. The issue is that he is asking if he will face import fees as I am sending it from the UK to Europe. I have seen something online to say that business items over £135 will have a fee, but then also that gifts worth more than £39 will have a fee.

I think it depends on which country you are sending it to

Ah ok cheers, I sent the potential buyer a message asking just that. Will pop back here when I get a response.

Looking at it, it seems a bit fucked. Sounds like nobody has worked out what the charges should be, the (UK) Post Office doesn't Know yet. I did hear early in the year about people just not being able to post anything to the EU & even people from Northern Ireland not being able to post to Britain. I don't know if anything has changed.

Might be worth posting in the European & Irish community threads

Looking at it, it seems a bit fucked. Sounds like nobody has worked out what the charges should be, the (UK) Post Office doesn't Know yet. I did hear early in the year about people just not being able to post anything to the EU & even people from Northern Ireland not being able to post to Britain. I don't know if anything has changed.

Might be worth posting in the European & Irish community threads

Its a complete mess. I went to the post office a few weeks back and you are right, they weren't posting anything at all to the EU. I then went a week later and it was back to normal.

As luck would have it my girlfriend has to post something tomorrow so I will get her to ask and see if Royal Mail knows. If not then its back to the drawing board.

Back